Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of months ago had a play with a green old style scooby with aftermarket exhaust, it was dry and i was all over it from a launch, pulled away as soon as i got 2nd, couple cars length ahead bout halfway through 3rd

Same situation again with a white old style scooby, aftermarket exhaust... but was a bit damp last week... well of course i was expecting it but i went nowhere in first and 2nd till i finally got grip after spinning to 60mph... started to pull him in straight away but ran out of room... this happened 3 times! he loved it...

Makes me wanna scrap all the plans I had this year and sell the golf now for an evo 8.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
You want to sell a nice Golf just so you can beat Impreza's with aftermarket exhausts? Will you really feel that much better after beating them? There are far too many Scoob's and Evo's on the road, atleast up here anyway. With an Evo you will get to know the staff at your local petrol station very well and your insurance will increase.

If you must "play", pick slower cars [:p]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Spinning all the way to 60?! Bit over optimistic isnt it? Even with your setup!?

And I have problems spinning to 5mph [:D]

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was wet and very cold, the car runs so much better when its freezin outside... just spins and spins when its wet though

cold and dry is amazing... pulls like a train

Maybe not an evo, was liking the sound of that RS3 with the turbo v6 lump but is it ever gonna happen? Just want something 4wd I've been on fwd for 4 years and i'm bored of it!

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you want great facial expressions from them get a 4wd sleeper car [;)]
what better sleeper car than an R32 with a Supercharger or a Turbo

hafizur
Hardly a sleeper. 4mo is what you want if your going for the sleeper look then add the turbo/sc and you could probably do that for the price of a standard R32. First time in snow for me today and if I can help it I am never getting a FWD car again. 4wd is the bis.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Spinning all the way to 60?! Bit over optimistic isnt it? Even with your setup!?

In my APR Chipped Anni 1.8T (approx 215bhp), my anni would and could wheel spin all the way thru 1st,2nd and halfway into 3rd if the roads where like they are now.

yesterday I dragged a CTR around some roundabouts and short straights, hahaha its fun when the roads are cold slimey and salty

I test drove a dsg GTI on sunday, and that was shockingly easy to light up the front wheels too

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Christ, even in my V5 I could spin it in 1st and 2nd in the wet with the ASR off, which is enough to see 60 on the clock and no real progress in reality.

Let the knobber in the Scooby go. You can sit back and laugh and how he has taken a perfectly OK car and turned it into a Halfords parts bin shitter, which alot of them are now. He will probably wrap it round a tree at some point anyway, thinking he can drive like McRae, or blow it up and end up with a bill he can't afford...then end of problem.

Oh and for the record I think 'dragging' a CTR around roundabouts on cold and slimey public roads is a silly thing to do...

Oh, and anyone who thinks Evo ownership is cheap, think again. You will need a second mortgage to run, fuel, maintain and insure it. Just to have a play with a ropey old 10 year old WRX. Hmm, is it worth it?

·
Registered
8,220 Posts

In my APR Chipped Anni 1.8T (approx 215bhp), my anni would and could wheel spin all the way thru 1st,2nd and halfway into 3rd if the roads where like they are now.

yesterday I dragged a CTR around some roundabouts and short straights, hahaha its fun when the roads are cold slimey and salty

I test drove a dsg GTI on sunday, and that was shockingly easy to light up the front wheels too
Mine spins on 1st, 2nd and very slightly on 3rd

Depends on how hard you put your foot down i guess

4WD, its like a shish kebab

Hafizur

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree 4motion is the ultimate sleeper debadge it put some dirty black steelies on so it looks like an oil burner have fun wouldnt know whats hit em!

·
Registered
15 Posts
R32 is what you want, they are the biz! Very discreet, a lot of idiots on the roads won't even know they have 4motion AWD anyway. In standard form they can out run WRX's to the ton so with some kit it will be easy. Go for the turbo upgrade and get 350bhp! Eat scooby's for breakfast. I have had mine for 16 months and it is the best car I've owned up till now, full of kit, great engine note, subtle looks and very quick. Can't wait for the R36 golf, surely they will make it, if the passat can run 5.8 to 60 then the golf should shave a few tenths off. Nice!

I am currently selling my R32 and changing to an Evo 8. You don't buy cars like these because they do good mpg and have low insurance, if that's what you want, get a GTTDi 150 or something similar, you buy them because they have supercar performance and awesome grip, I've test driven them and they are unreal!!

On the CTR comments I ran two of these from new before buying the R32 and you would do well to outrun them, they are very quick on a dry road. Not so in the wet though, the front can't find grip because of the power, you need to be very subtle with the juice pedal. Honda need to catch up though and should put the 240bhp tuned 2.0lt in the civic with awd, would be an interesting car, the Type RR I think they were going to call it.

Just my opinion folks, for what its worth. [;)]

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
For instance two days ago, this bmw 120d pulls up at the lights on the right hand side, and hes very eager to get away. I thought no way, so as soon as the lights change, i put my foot down. Pull away nicely on 1st, the bmw keeping close tabs on me. Change to second, and what do i get, all power cut to the wheels, the traction control light flashing like crazy, it was at least 2 seconds before the power came back, but then i had the wheels spinning. Should of turned the esp off.

The bmw won, left me for dead, the most embarrassing moment. How fast are these oil burners, a few weeks ago, i could not leave a gt tdi behind, was all the way up my ass.

Trying to blame the revo as i switched it off a few weeks back and have not turned it on.

Hafizur

1 - 20 of 59 Posts