21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
has been
7,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
lovely Tabs

Top Mounts

mk4 topmounts consist of a rubber bushing and a bearing

shortly after Hamidi (Hamster) fitted those famous X5 19" wheels and was on a quest for arch to lip perfection, he's mentioned guys in the USA cut down the stock top mounts.

a few days later i was fitting new suspension to my mates mums polo 6n and noticed the similarity in the mounts, used the same bearing and almost the same diameter but was shallower.

i called the hamster and he said he'd be the guinea pig, order some and i'd fit them in and see how they faired

few days later he arrived with the new polo aka krispy kreme topmounts

Posted Image

Posted Image

arch gap pre polo mounts

Posted Image

arch gap after polo topmounts

Posted Image

part numbers are;

two x 6N0412319
two x 6N0412331A

these mounts can drop extra 10 - 15mm but has to be said they do not last as long as stock mk4 mounts but are cheap enough to replace once a year.

it's worth noting that recently PSI have produced polybush topmounts that lower by 10mm, i can't coment on the ride or feel of these as yet as i haven't fitted any.

·
vaglife
1,727 Posts
lovely Tabs

Top Mounts

mk4 topmounts consist of a rubber bushing and a bearing

shortly after Hamidi (Hamster) fitted those famous X5 19" wheels and was on a quest for arch to lip perfection, he's mentioned guys in the USA cut down the stock top mounts.

a few days later i was fitting new suspension to my mates mums polo 6n and noticed the similarity in the mounts, used the same bearing and almost the same diameter but was shallower.

i called the hamster and he said he'd be the guinea pig, order some and i'd fit them in and see how they faired

few days later he arrived with the new polo aka krispy kreme topmounts

arch gap pre polo mounts

arch gap after polo topmounts

part numbers are;

two x 6N0412319
two x 6N0412331A

these mounts can drop extra 10 - 15mm but has to be said they do not last as long as stock mk4 mounts but are cheap enough to replace once a year.

it's worth noting that recently PSI have produced polybush topmounts that lower by 10mm, i can't coment on the ride or feel of these as yet as i haven't fitted any.
audi 80,90 top mounts are a better safer option than the polo mounts and they fit the tower perfect unlike the polo mounts which can move about slightly[Y] i had 90 mounts on for over a year and when replacing they hadnt squashed as much as mk4 mounts usually do but still changed them you can also get different harshness ones some come with grey bottoms some with green and some are all blue and all 20pound but you need the audi 80,90 bearing and barrel nut as the mk4 nuts make the bearings go as they squash them hope this helps its been going for years on the audi sites etc [:D]

·
vaglife
1,727 Posts
also forgot to mention they lower about 2mm more than polo mounts [Y] and the poly top mounts dont bother i had them fditted a week and put the 90 mounts back on as i got loads of vibes through the cabin only good for track imho[Y]

·
vaglife
1,727 Posts
also forgot to mention they lower about 2mm more than polo mounts [Y] and the poly top mounts dont bother i had them fditted a week and put the 90 mounts back on as i got loads of vibes through the cabin only good for track imho[Y]

·
Registered
196 Posts
also forgot to mention they lower about 2mm more than polo mounts
and the poly top mounts dont bother i had them fditted a week and put the 90 mounts back on as i got loads of vibes through the cabin only good for track imho
You don't by chance happen to have the part no. for those Audi top mounts?

·
has been
7,414 Posts
Air Ride

Air is becoming more common and slowly coming down in price, i'll do a mini how to on fitting air to a mk4 / bora

i'll only be covering bags / lines as there are many different types of management available on the market and all differ slightly on operation and fitment.

fwd mk4 / bora air ride

bag yard

airforsale9712004.jpg

airlift front struts - notice the different top mount set up that requires drilling the strut top

airliftfrontbags.jpg

airlift rear bags - rear bag platform to mount bag

airliftrearbags.jpg

fitting of the fronts

bagyard use mk4 topmounts so bolting on is just like fitting coilovers, one end slots in the hub and the top in the strut top

Airlift have their own design that uses three studs through the strut top to hold it in place

mcrowelliair181112025.jpg

Rear bag fitment;

both bagyard and airlift used a rivnut through the top spring mount

mcrowelliair171112006.jpg

bagyard rear bags screw directly into the riv nut

mkboraair13.jpg

Airlift use a platform that bolts to the bag and screws into the rivnut

mcrowelliair171112007.jpg

mcrowelliair171112008.jpg

bottom of the bags both bolt on the same, same as coilover spring perches. a bolt with a large washer from the bottom through the beam into the bag.

Running Lines

there are a few different ways of running your air lines to your bags

i've seen, holes drilled in the wheel well and across the rear beam and lines ziptied to the brake and fuel lines. i prefer to run the lines internally for the main part as i'm paranoid [:DD]

i always strip out the interior to make sure it's all done properly and is easier to run lines and looms

mcrowelliair181112001.jpg

rear lines;

i run the rear lines through the rear of the rear arch

mcrowelliair171112011.jpg

mcrowelliair171112012.jpg

mcrowelliair171112010.jpg

behind the filler neck on the drivers side

mcrowelliair171112009.jpg

and behind the dirt shield both sides and into the bag

mcrowelliair171112016.jpg

mcrowelliair171112013.jpg

Front lines

i run the fronts to the rear of the car to each corner

mcrowelliair181112010.jpg

mcrowelliair181112009.jpg

and up over the arch

mcrowelliair181112011.jpg

mcrowelliair181112012.jpg

mcrowelliair181112008.jpg

the mk4 is fortunate to have a small 15-20mm box section that runs internally down each side - perfect for running lines

mcrowelliair181112013.jpg

mcrowelliair181112006.jpg

mcrowelliair181112014.jpg

at this point i run the lines outside next to the chassis rail

mcrowelliair181112026.jpg

from here it's a great lace to connect to the leader line of the bag

when i fix the leader line to the car i make sure the line is in an S shape to allow maximum travel and lock to lock movement at vey low and max height, making sure nothing is rubbing or pulling against.

phonepics21512037.jpg

myboraair15.jpg

that's it for bags and lines, boot builds are entirely up to the owner as to what set up they go for, showy or discreet. as long as it's neat and all secured properly with wires / lines secure then it's all good

mcrowelliair181112003.jpg

mcrowelliair181112018.jpg

airforsale9712001.jpg

·
vaglife
1,727 Posts
also forgot to mention they lower about 2mm more than polo mounts
and the poly top mounts dont bother i had them fditted a week and put the 90 mounts back on as i got loads of vibes through the cabin only good for track imho
You don't by chance happen to have the part no. for those Audi top mounts?
i just flicked on ebay and got some numbers for you.. audi 80,90 top mounts and intergrated bearings (green ones) 221139035447 at 21.38 with 2.40 postage............. barrel nuts x2 needed 180768621422 at 2.40 free postage[Y] i cant stress enough how much you need the barrel nut DO NOT USE THE MK4 BOTTOM NUT under any cicumstances it will fail the bearing and mount rapidly! when fitting it goes in order... spring,spring hat,top mount(bearing is joined to the mount as 1,barrel nut ontop of mount then top hat in this order and they will run fine and last as long as mk4 mounts really do not try using mk4 nut ontop of the bearing it doesnt work out i tried lol[:D] you can also get audi ur quattro top mounts which are blue from the dealers and they are stiffer and all blue in colour but too harsh imo[Y]

·
King Dogger
13,907 Posts
Olly this is a top thread even though I don't own a Mk4 it's very handy to have the information floating around so top marks for being kind enough to help many people out by writing it..

21 - 40 of 66 Posts