Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

give them a break !!!

2K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  craigGSI 
#1 ·
come on people give the new boys and girls a break.!!!

lots of new members joined up lately and had their car slagged..

just because they dont have the same taste in car modding as some of us it's no reason to slag their pride and joy off !!!

so what if it's got lexus lights and a big body kit .(as long as it's not W****W*** ) !!! only joking !!!

if it's a VW and they like it thats all that matters !!!???

we are all here for the love of all thing VW ...!!!

#7 ·

just because they dont have the same taste in car modding as some of us it's no reason to slag their pride and joy off !!!

so what if it's got lexus lights and a big body kit .(as long as it's not W****W*** ) !!! only joking !!!
There's a big difference between slagging off and giving a well constuctive critisism.

To my mind people go on members rides to ask 'what do you think'? , so
they have to expect some bad comments. Everyone's entitled to express
their opinions and views arent they?, christ we live in a democratic
society?!!

Whats the point in everyone going 'your rides the dog's mate' !!, just to avoid offending them!

#9 ·
In the past most people that were new on here tended to read alot and
then post.... and hence keep things like lexus lights hidden (you did
well hiding yours Jase till a few of us knocked round for our
wheels[;)]) or they would post and say something like "I know you you
lot dont like lexus light but I do so sorry!" But know people dont read
first and post well, one example was someone posting and asking which
wings west kit to buy[:$] really he should have read a bit first.

In the past People with lexus lights like yourself and Cossie boy just
put 2 fingers upto the rest of us which is fair enough, as you did your
research fist, however in the past i have seen some people treated much
worse than recent newbies, anyone remeber the wings west kits! I
remeber the stick Miketdi took for planning a bozer bonnet, or Stewart
for his wing vent and brow! Mrkivs car even got called a Corsa on
here...... its always gone on always will.

I for one gave a certain member (putoline) stick about mods he had
planned for his 4motion nye on a year ago but the bloke went of and
posted on vortex and on here did his research and got peoples views on
the best bits for his car and now has one of the single sweetest
4motions out there, thats now for sale and it is damn nice.

#10 ·

There's a big difference between slagging off and giving a well constuctive critisism.
To my mind people go on members rides to ask 'what do you think'? , so they have to expect some bad comments. Everyone's entitled to express their opinions and views arent they?, christ we live in a democratic society?!!

Whats the point in everyone going 'your rides the dog's mate' !!, just to avoid offending them!
because when you slag them off you give the rest of us on the forum a bad name...

i've heard people at shows saying that this forum is far too harsh !!! and it's because of comments like this.!!!

what is constructive about telling someone to get rid of their lexus lights or body kit ???

they must like them or they wouldn't buy them!!!... you are just going to offend them...

and it's not just in members rides,it also happens in people first post in the welcome section.!!!

#11 ·
Not really sure wether to get in the middle of this but here goes; a couple of weeks ago I followed a car which had " Lexus " lights fitted and they looked really good, they blended in well and really brought out the lines of the car. So you may ask what were they fitted to? A Lexus of course! 

#12 ·
I personally don't have a problem with ANYONE new who's joining...

...Infact the more the merrier, but as long as they're serious about MK4's i don't mind what style their car has! [Y]

Now, whether they've got Lexus lights or a Wings West bodykit, don't let it bother you and let's be fair on them, everyone is individual at the end of the day and IMO that's the best way to be!! [:D]

The new recruits are, i'm sure looking for positive comments and a warm welcome, and i agree with J111ASE, there's been too many of them shot down on the first post! [:(]

Now, i'm sure after a couple of weeks on here they'll either leave because of the constant criticism, or they'll choose to stay. I for one hope they will stay, and contribute something WE don't know (for once!), or enlighten us on a problem they have currently that WE don't yet know about (even if such a problem exists)!!

This forum can only improve with knowledgeable members, not criticism! [:)]

#13 ·
because when you slag them off you give the rest of us on the forum a bad name...

i've heard people at shows saying that this forum is far too harsh !!! and it's because of comments like this.!!!

what is constructive about telling someone to get rid of their lexus lights or body kit ???

they must like them or they wouldn't buy them!!!... you are just going to offend them...

and it's not just in members rides,it also happens in people first post in the welcome section.!!!
How does it give you a bad name?

Of course people have different taste, but the general concensus on
here is that lexus lights are tacky, so that criticism is hardly
surprising is it?

It's just people expressing their opinions as they are entitled to do, given that it's a free country, it's not personal.

#14 ·
Come on guys and ladees, I am fairly new to the forum, but not to the VW scene, I have owned a couple of MKII's, Polo's and a Audi Q, but I have to say I have never seen so many people, so uptight about the whole scene as MKIV owners. Is it because the MKIV got slated as a GTI and we all feel the need to make it the 'car that should have left the factory' ?

IMO, this forum and some of its members take it and their cars far too seriously.

However, I think if you present your car to the forum, then you have to expect some criticism, if it does have a outlandish bodykit, then it's your own fault for not knowing the VW scene and it's heritige, as OEM goes back a long way. However, I love it here and will come back for more no matter what you say about the car !!! Even though you haven't even seen her yet !! Ha Ha Ha, its got, a Nismo wing on the roof , a bonnet scoop, some tasty stick on wide arches and chrome wheel spinners and I've sprayed it Pearlescent pink !!! Now what do ya say about that ???

#15 ·
Come on guys and ladees, I am fairly new to the forum, but not to the VW scene, I have owned a couple of MKII's, Polo's and a Audi Q, but I have to say I have never seen so many people, so uptight about the whole scene as MKIV owners. Is it because the MKIV got slated as a GTI and we all feel the need to make it the 'car that should have left the factory' ?

IMO, this forum and some of its members take it and their cars far too seriously.

However, I think if you present your car to the forum, then you have to expect some criticism, if it does have a outlandish bodykit, then it's your own fault for not knowing the VW scene and it's heritige, as OEM goes back a long way. However, I love it here and will come back for more no matter what you say about the car !!! Even though you haven't even seen her yet !! Ha Ha Ha, its got, a Nismo wing on the roof , a bonnet scoop, some tasty stick on wide arches and chrome wheel spinners and I've sprayed it Pearlescent pink !!! Now what do ya say about that ???
Lovely, welcome to the forum! [Y][;)]

#16 ·

And that would have been mild back in the 80's !!!!!!!!!!!!

#18 ·
I can agree with different people from different perspectives here.....

Jase - I agree, people get hard time when they first come one - I have in the past and it's not nice - it's difficult not to take it seriously, but then when I thought about it, I though "fcuk it, if they want to say that about me, I don't care, I'm probably never going to meet them". And if someone says something about my car, they ARE saying something about me, seeing as it's an expession of what I like, what I want and what I am about.

But, I also believe that people do not think about the consequences for their actions - if they want all nicey nicey "oh you're great" comments, go and join Vortex or some other yank nonesense where it's "bad to diss people" (I don't like being nice for the sake of being nice - in fact, as my wife tells me regularly, I'm a very nasty person when it suits me - but that's my choice, and before anyone says it, yes I have freinds, and yes real ones).

Basically, people shouldn't slagg off someone just because Mr A has lexus lights or a scaffold board spoiler. If you don;t like it, that's fine, but Mr A obviously does. That's why he has it!

Someone above said it's "just an expression of opinion", well so is putting that stuff on your car - if you don't like it, no-one is forcing you to. But if you want to express your opinion when asked, okay.

Anyway, we all modify our cars, some more than other. ALL in different ways to others. Who is to say what is right and what is wrong - what is cool and what is like wearing a tanktop. We are all different. Lets keep it that way, or we'll just end up spamerican.

So to summarise - I agree with everyone and no-one.

Bug ger it.

#19 ·
Why should you expect negative feedback when you post up pics of your car? In the 'show us yer face' thread, you didn't expect feedback from your photo...."uh, I'd have a nose job if I were you"...."omg, you should get your ears pinned back" etc etc. So people posting up pics of their car might just be saying this is my car and not, unless they say otherwise, please comment on it. If you posted up a pic of your missus, would you want someone saying how they think she's ugly (or not oem!!).

If someone asks for your thoughts, go ahead but don't be offensive with it.

#20 ·
Look if the car is a pile of pooh then its said. Why pretend that Lexus
lights and crap alloys are lovely when they are just pure shite. Then
you have these guys sporting the aforementioned mods with uk-mkivs
stickers on their cars. It makes a laughing stock of this place.

#22 ·
Christ this old chestnut popping its head up once again I see.

My message would be go for what YOU want and not others and have conviction in carrying through that beleif of how YOU want your car to look. I dont think I have ever asked for an opinion on what bits to put on my car I know what I like and I follow that regardless of what some other short sighted and over opinionated people think.

The thing that makes me laugh is this OEM trend yes it has been about for a while, but people have been invoative with it such as cult society by taking OEM parts from other cars that you would not have though of and making them work or blend in. I dont or have not seen this on here, all I have really seen is most people putting anni kits, r line kits etc etc and not really innovating or trend setting so to speak.

As always this is my opinion and I am sure not held by many others on here but so what it feels good to be different.

#23 ·
I believe in the concept,

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it"

If someone asks for your opinion then give it with a pinch of salt.

It may not be to everyones liking but it's not your car.

Just say, nice car but it's not to my taste, well done, or give advice.

Not , OH... MY... GOD..... WHAT HAVE YOU DONE! [:D]

I though this forum was designed so we can help each other, not slag each others car off?

If some one has something different on their car and they ask pople what they think, I cringe, in fear of what I know people will say.

Just give them friendlly advice and this should be a better place to be.

That's my 2pence worth anyway.

Cheers

Dan

#24 ·
Like I posted in the members ride section if you post pictures of your car then you have to expect to get both positive and negative comments.

Why bother asking if not? And all those that say you should people a break I ask why? So are you saying if your new and ask for an opinion you only want people to be nice. Why bother asking for an opinion then?

I'm not condoning slagging peoples cars off but to comment you don;t like lexus lights or the rims arent your taste is fine.

J.

#26 ·
WTF is TBH? IMO there's far too many SLW's and becuase of that people don't HAC WTF your on about. and you get PLM asking Q's like this.

It's like foreign language sometimes, like texting short littel words like l8r. Now that I hate.

but on the internet and email it's not as if you pay per letter!!!!!!! We have a language, a bit like Dr Pepper, "try it, you might like it!"!:!lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.