Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished fitting a powerflex dog bone mount in the R32 today.

Haven't managed a decent run in it yet but have to say that is one of the easiest mods I have ever done to a car.

The clutch does feel a bit different now, feels like it gets going a fraction quicker than before and acceleration seems slightly improved. It might just be in my head though.

No extra vibration, apart from when releasing the clutch but it doesn't feel bad it just feels that it is biting better.

So all is good.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
i had this done last week to my TDi. feels great in mine. a lot tighter feel to it all. lots of vibration though, which is doing my head in, but im assured this either go's away or you just get used to your bones shaking every time you drive.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I really fancy one of these but worried about the vibration as i know this will do my head in, which ones have you used powerflex or something.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I did this mod yesterday it took all of 10 mins [:D], I have noticed only minor vibration, it maybe due to mike running a diesel as they have alot of vibration anyway.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Final got round to fitting the powerflex dogbone bushes. The 4 year old rubber ones seemed fairly intact but surface had gone sticky (possibly due to the gearbox oil spraying over them when the gearbox broke). Took ages to clean the metal parts properly.

Much better now - can smoothly release clutch in 1st gear. Before the revs dropped and the car lurched forward - had to rev high and dump the clutch to get it moving.

The vibration is pretty bad at idle - now have a rattling dash which I never had before, and slight variations in idle speed are very noticable. Hopefully will improve over time.

I used the grease supplied when assembling - is this just to help assembly or does it help reduce the vibration?

I was thinking maybe the vibration is because the other engine mounts are knackered or softer. If I replaced the other engine mounts would this reduce the vibration or make it worse?

·
Registered
614 Posts
i get vibration and i only have them on my arb and that do's my head in keep thinking they have not fitted the arb proberly or have they demon tweeks did it 6 months ago

·
Registered
142 Posts
Quote: posted by Royster on 29/09/2004 22:52:26

What's the details on these dog bones? where/cost/what they do[:I]

The mounting at the bottom of the engine is called the dog bone mount because is shaped like a bone for a dog. As standard they have rubber bushings to reduce vibration, they wear out after a few years and the engine moves too much, making gear changes/acceleration jerky.

The powerflex bushings are made from polyurethane and last much longer, they are also harder. The increased hardness improves gear changing but increases vibration to the bodywork of the car.

Photo of dogbone mount - replacement bushings are yellow :

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/images/products/PFF85-420.jpg

Powerflex bushings - MK4 Golf/Bora

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/products.asp?cat=0037&catalog=0437

·
Registered
136 Posts
Have just bought one of these from C&R. will be fitting it tomorrow. Not liking the idea of the vibration though. Get enough of that in my Mexico with the full poly bush set up.

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
Quote: posted by andy_not_happy on 29/09/2004 23:18:35

Quote: posted by Royster on 29/09/2004 22:52:26

What's the details on these dog bones? where/cost/what they do[:I]

The mounting at the ....

Cheers mate... I might look into that!

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Quote: posted by tylerama on 20/09/2004 00:28:25

Mine vibrates a bit more when I pull away from a standstill.. but it soon goes once i'm up to speed..

I think it's cos I don't give it enough revs when I pull away.. just need to give it a bit more juice and the vibration stops. Hopefully, i'll ease up a bit with time. Gearshift and clutch feels a bit better though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts