Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
IMHO I think the Rockford amps are good bang for buck, but do tend to lack in the refinement department. I used a Rockford 600a5 5 channel amp to run a Rockford DVC sub and a set of Rockford FNX components, to me the sound seemed to lack clarity and definition. This is why I have decided to go for a Genesis amp this time round, for clean refined power and excellent sonic ability. I think Pheonix Gold is very good also, as are the JL Audio amps.

As for the speakers, I have used Infinity components in the past and found them ok, a bit bass light for my taste and the tweeters can be a bit fragile. I would look at the likes of JL Audio/ Focal/ Diamond Audio/ Crystal/ Dynaudio/ DLS/ etc. Have a look at www.caraudiodirect.com for a good s election and better prices than Hellfrauds, top service too in my experience.

· Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Have been recommended the Alpine SPR 176A 2 way component speakers - a pair up front and at the back, plus an Alpine MRV F450 5 channel amp, to allow a 5th channer for a sub as/when required.

Prices seem pretty decent........but what about quality?

· Registered
85 Posts
I would seriously consider keeping the rear speakers standard, just run them off the rear channels of the head unit internal amp at a much reduced level - to leave the soundstage where it should be, at the front of the car just above dashboard level. This means they don't matter as much, so the standard jobbies will be ok.

Spend the cash on a single set of components for the front of really nice quality, IMHO a much better option. If you do this a 4 channel amp can be used in 3 channel mode, channels 1 & 2 used for the fronts, 3&4 bridged for the sub - this would give you a much greater choice of amp. This is the kind of set-up I'll be using.

I would have to agree with ROBO-TODA, the Alpine gear is easy on the ear and sounds quite good, but there is better out there. There amp's tend to struggle a bit to make there rated power, and don't like to be loaded down unless stated- stick to the nominal 4ohm load and there ok.

Hope that helps you out.

· Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks so far.............

i've had further advice too:

Test the existing speakers for listening volume by turning the head unit bass......if they still sound OK at the volume i want - the speakers don't need changing.

Then, add a 4-channel amp to drive them a bit easier, and also an amped sub box.

This way, i can remove the sub when i need the room, and all i disconnect is a power supply and line-in.

I also agree with icedub about changing the front speakers......I know most modern cars have acceptable quality units but upgrading the fronts i'm sure would help detail and perhaps fill in the mids too.

I'm popping out at lunchtime to see what sounds good at my local shop.

· Registered
85 Posts
Foxy, you could try what has been suggested, if good enough you've saved yourself some cash/ time/ effort. When using the amp to drive the speakers you would probably be using the high pass crossover anyway, to prevent the speakers trying to reproduce what they are unable to - they will sound far cleaner like this anyway, and chances are go as loud as you require.

I would still look at a four channel amp though, that way to remove the sub box would just be unplugging a set of banana plugs - rather than rca's/ power/ ground/ remote connections. Just a suggestion.

· Registered
415 Posts
Quote: posted by Foxy on 17/01/2005 15:09:37

So, what about rockford amps - they are not too dear....I have always thought they were good, but are they refined?

What about Infinity component speakers - too 'Halfords' or good for the money?

ive got infinity components. i think their great speakers. i never get anywhere near max volume but they seem to go on go on gooo on! clarity is very good too. Never a hint of distortion and push enough bass for the punchy effect your lookin for. I've got 4 of them running off a 50x4 Kenwood no problem!

· Registered
167 Posts
Quote: posted by icedub on 19/01/2005 14:49:11

Foxy, you could try what has been suggested, if good enough you've saved yourself some cash/ time/ effort. When using the amp to drive the speakers you would probably be using the high pass crossover anyway, to prevent the speakers trying to reproduce what they are unable to - they will sound far cleaner like this anyway, and chances are go as loud as you require.

I would still look at a four channel amp though, that way to remove the sub box would just be unplugging a set of banana plugs - rather than rca's/ power/ ground/ remote connections. Just a suggestion.

Yes,definitely a lot less hassle.As a guide,some 4 channel Genesis amps only require a single set of rca leads to work properly.In other words,i can run a bi-amped set of Focal Utopias off a single rca lead.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.