Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always had tasty ICE of some magnitude in my chariots...but the mk5 seems the dullard of the lot in stock form.....

I want an upgrade plan which will allow me to buy when i can afford to and add to the setup in reasonable steps.

I'd prefer to keep my Sat-Nav Head Unit but the rest can be ditched.

It's essential that the install is discrete and preferably fits into original speaker locations......whilst the boot area is maintained as fully and flexibly as practicable.

I've done the insane ear-bleeding, glass breaking install back in the late 80's with a ?4.5k install, so no need to do it again!

I want nice quality with 'ample' volume levels.

My recent experiences with Kenwood amps/speakers have been favourable but i'm sure there are better makes around for similar money.

Any help greatly appreciated.......grathias!

· Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want accurate but not brash top end, no over-brightness when pushed a bit, sufficient mids to fill in and some nice kicking bass......sub-bass is an option too.

Amps essential but want sensible stuff and not alot of it!!

Budget is variable but needs to be good value for money.

· Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm drawing a schematic (i'm back at work again!!) to see it thru.

Is this a reasonable arrangement these days?

Posted Image

My MFD2 has no sub-out nor pre-outs by the look of the pre-install pics....

· Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, what about rockford amps - they are not too dear....I have always thought they were good, but are they refined?

What about Infinity component speakers - too 'Halfords' or good for the money?

· Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Have been recommended the Alpine SPR 176A 2 way component speakers - a pair up front and at the back, plus an Alpine MRV F450 5 channel amp, to allow a 5th channer for a sub as/when required.

Prices seem pretty decent........but what about quality?

· Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks so far.............

i've had further advice too:

Test the existing speakers for listening volume by turning the head unit bass......if they still sound OK at the volume i want - the speakers don't need changing.

Then, add a 4-channel amp to drive them a bit easier, and also an amped sub box.

This way, i can remove the sub when i need the room, and all i disconnect is a power supply and line-in.

I also agree with icedub about changing the front speakers......I know most modern cars have acceptable quality units but upgrading the fronts i'm sure would help detail and perhaps fill in the mids too.

I'm popping out at lunchtime to see what sounds good at my local shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.