Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im after finding out the best way for me to be able to scan my own car, not chewed on about changing stuff and all that jazz since my engines in a mk2 golf theres precious little I could do anyway, just want to be able to scan and clear codes so I can see where im going.

Being able to learn to log stuff would be good aswell, boost levels and intake temps etc.

all above board and legal obviously, I know ross tech do it but its squillions of money.

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Is yours a Mk2? I'm not sure they're supported by VCDS. Depending on how much of the original car is left behind then you may not be able to do this. If it's a complete loom and system swap then as long as the diagnostic port is all wired up then you should be able to run with something.

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mk2's arent supported by vcds but im on oem management witht he 1.8T so all the engine related sensors and ECU are still there, ie itll still tell me whats wrong with it when its poorlie.

or atleast give me a starting point.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I just bought a cheap lead off ebay then bought a user license for vcds, its worth the money really.

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pm replied to

i might just go down the cheap route then if thats all I need for code reading.

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
i tried using one of those and it was a nightmare, plus with the lite version of VCDS and a 10 quid cable I can scrren grab the codes and drop em onto every forum in the land so I can get my car running lol

im about to buy this.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAG-USB-DIAGNOSTIC-CABLE-409-1-OBD2-II-LEAD-VAG-COM-/330399696070?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4ced5b44c6

job done?
A very valid reason,but the number of times I've been let down by my old laptop not having any charge in it (I'm lucky if I get ten minutes from it now) and I'm unable to run any diagnostic software can't even be counted with any accuracy.That's the reason I favour self powered scan tools that are powered from the OBD port,then all I need to do is write down the DTCs and Google 'em,then the job will be a good one.

But if you think a shareware VAG-COM cable will for you what you want it to,then buy it but don't expect miracles.

Chris.

·
Registered
183 Posts
as above i use my little scantool alot more than getting the heavy old lappy out and it is very good..always finds same codes as vcds

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My laptop is a bit like that, but I tend to leave it on charge with me in the garage anyway, im lucky that I have managed to fairly well equip myself at home, garage with a power socket on each wall and all the usual tools etc, enough stuff for the mechanical side of a nut and bolt rebuild, of a golf atleast.

electrical wise I am somewhat lacking tho lol, time to start learning I think, this conversion is putting me on a steep curve for sure.

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Don't forget witth the shareware version it only decodes the very first fault code into what it actually is,the rest you still have to look up manually./

Chris.

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was expecting to have to look them all up lol

google is a wonderful thing, it holds all the answers, and totaly rubbish, in equal measure, well maybe not equal

1 - 20 of 25 Posts