Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, How is it done? Obviously there is no REAL substitute for a brand new car smelling of newness all round, but some dealers and sales forecourts have cars a good few years old which are tidy and clean, and when you take a look inside, you do notice that lovely new car smell.

What is best for this or is there some sort of secret bottle of whiff for dealers and showrooms?

Some of the top detailers on here will hopefully know the secret (and its not the blue magic tree saying "New Car Scent" @ 99p!!!)

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
A fish supper, a wet dog and someone with severe gas is enough to take the smell away, thats for sure! Lol!

I would be surprised if there is such a thing as new equipment, clothes, carpets etc all have a "new" smell, but none ever keep them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ok, How is it done? Obviously there is no REAL substitute for a brand new car smelling of newness all round, but some dealers and sales forecourts have cars a good few years old which are tidy and clean, and when you take a look inside, you do notice that lovely new car smell.

What is best for this or is there some sort of secret bottle of whiff for dealers and showrooms?

Some of the top detailers on here will hopefully know the secret (and its not the blue magic tree saying "New Car Scent" @ 99p!!!)
A Valet company in Bham called H2O were on the radio a few months back, and one of the scents they do is new car smell, I would think that the combination of seat foam and plastics is what gives the cars that smell, sadly after about 6 months it goes :-(

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Both Meguairs & AG do products which "Kill odour" & supposed to give it a fresh smell.

I've got the Megs stuff & its very good, I wouldnt say it smells "new" but it does smell nice [Y]

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have 7 sample bottles of autoglym Auto-fresh here.. They are 250ml.

Its the same stuff the dealer uses. You can have one for ?4 delivered m8..

PM and let me know if you are interested..

Same goes for anyone else who wants a try.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
when a car comes into work and really smells nasty(**** ,dogs or just a dirty smell) what we do is give the interior plastics a good wipe over with a good interior cleaner then we spray foan cleaner (scentless) in all the carpets and roof lining then let it soak in and you can some time see it pulling the grime out.wile you leave it a few mins we really wack the seats to get all the dust out its the dust that gives it the dirty smell. then really go for it with a good vacume at all the roof lining,carpets and seats.then when you have finished it smells alot fresher. complemented with i nice new smelly :) .... my car sometimes gets a bit of a dirty smell so i do the wacking of thwe seats to release the dust and it makes a lot of differance.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought a can of that air conditioning cleaner/ deodoriser from halfords (11.99ish and in a blue can).Must say that i was very impressed without it. My car was beginning to smell a bit musty and it just smells really clean now. I'd recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
yeah ive whacked the seats before you'll be amazed how much dust comes up, im glad i come accross this thread so soon was gonna do a search, is it okay to whack seats with airbags in them??? [:^)]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
New car smell = VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds), not really good for you but I love it, too. I think I've just about lost the last trace of NCS (New Car Smell) in my motor, not bad after 4.5 years and countless take-away quick lunches/dinners consumed inside (keep telling myself not to, but when ya really hungry ya gotta eat!)

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
sigh! [:cool:] There is alway somebody that will lower the tone!! [:D] j/k
Whilst the tone is lowered,

Does that Neutradol stuff stand up to the rigours of fetid turkey and sprout farts ?

Whoevers new car I got into right now with a new car 'smell', that smell would be eclipsed and chances are it would never recover.

In fact while we are on the subject, has anyone dropped one just before locking the car up and night and returned next morning to find it still lingering ?

Or is it just me ? [+o(]

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[In fact while we are on the subject, has anyone dropped one just before locking the car up and night and returned next morning to find it still lingering ?

Or is it just me ? [+o(]
I think its just you dude. Nearest ive done to that is biffed in an empty VHS video case, closed it, left it overnight and opened it in the morning to find it still lingering!!!!

Thats another story though[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I don't think you really need that "new car smell" tbh, just as long as you have a nice smelling car!

It's always nice to hear someone get in and say, "my god it's clean and it smells nice aswell!"

I've just bought a Poppy Coral today, i love the lemony smell it has.. Works for me! [Y]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts