Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting rid of my mini and getting a great deal on a mk4 01 golf 1.9 tdi se 90bhp, its only got 33k on the clock with full volkswagen service history, it was owned previously by a old man and kept upto scratch regardless of cost so im really happy, its a 4 door in black. Is there anything i should i know about this model that makes it stand out, as far as i know its got full elecs, i love the blue dials at night!

i was just thinking though, it doesnt have fogs at the bottom of the bumper, is this normal? also what kinda mpg should i be expecting from it?

i was going to put on some 18's what kinda drop should i get to make it look low but not stupidly low so it scraps the arches, is 30mm ok?

i was also looking at the bumpers, what difference is there to the gti bumpers? i was also looking at a anniverisary gti the other day and i noticed the bumpers only really looked to have a front and rear lower part to the bumpers? can you just by all this seperate? and finally the side skirts can i just attach some gti ones if i come across them?

sorry for the questions i thought i might as well ask all these instead of posting lots of threads.

cheers in advance.

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Finally getting rid of my mini and getting a great deal on a mk4 01 golf 1.9 tdi se 90bhp, its only got 33k on the clock with full volkswagen service history, it was owned previously by a old man and kept upto scratch regardless of cost so im really happy, its a 4 door in black. Is there anything i should i know about this model that makes it stand out, as far as i know its got full elecs, i love the blue dials at night!

** Not fully sure on the spec but I think you'll find its a standard Golf with electric windows & mirrors but not the GT additional features (tinted rear lights, colour coded rub strips on sides and bumpers, colour coded door handles, sporty seats, rear speakers)

i was just thinking though, it doesnt have fogs at the bottom of the bumper, is this normal? also what kinda mpg should i be expecting from it?

** Front fogs in the bumper are not a standard item on any MkIV's. Some models, mainly GT's have fogs built into the headlights just under the indicator lens, other just have a silver blank there instead. They are turned on by pulling the headlight switch one click for front fogs, two clicks for front and rear fogs.

**MPG should come in at 50-55 easily enough for normal driving

i was going to put on some 18's what kinda drop should i get to make it look low but not stupidly low so it scraps the arches, is 30mm ok?

** Most go for a 35mm drop with 18's (as mine is) if you want to go lower you will have to change the front anti-roll bar as it will rub on the driveshafts after about a 40mm drop. Arch scraping issues with 18's is not a problem until you get really low

i was also looking at the bumpers, what difference is there to the gti bumpers? i was also looking at a anniverisary gti the other day and i noticed the bumpers only really looked to have a front and rear lower part to the bumpers? can you just by all this seperate? and finally the side skirts can i just attach some gti ones if i come across them?

** GT bumpers will have colour coded rub strips, thats the only difference. Anniversary models have special lower lip spoilers that replace the standard black strips on the bottom of the bumpers. See pics of mine with Anni front, rear and sideskirts:

Posted Image

Posted Image

** These can be bought separately but are not cheap or easy to get hold of. You'll be looking at ?150-?200 each easily. Anniversary sideskirts and R32 sideskirts will fit straight on too just check on the 3dr or 5dr fitment as I am unsure if there is a difference.

sorry for the questions i thought i might as well ask all these instead of posting lots of threads.

cheers in advance.

** No worries, happy to help

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Same spec as mine mate - I would suggest a remap - the 90bhp engine is a bit gutless as standard. Mine's remapped and I can keep up with my mate's 04 Cooper Convertible with relative ease!.

You should have rear speakers (if you have a VW gamma head unit) and you might be lucky and get 'comfortline' seats - kind of a step up from standard - more comfy than GT seats too! you should also have air con (or a sunroof)

Hope you like the car - the engine is sound and it's one of the most widely used vag group engines! Was in Beetles till at least 03 and first used in skodas in 1996 I think!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats a good point youve made mantamad, ive got some 18's that i am going to put on my golf, they are multi stud and i hoping they will fit on my golf, when taking them off my current car that im selling for the golf they weighed a ton! (well not literally) but they were heavy im worried incase they are going to mess up my tdi mpg a lot, the odd one or too mpg wont bother me too much, im hoping to get at least 100 miles out of a ?10 is that possible? and will it still be possible after i put the 18's on?

also when you say the replicas are heavier, how can i tell what are replica's on ebay etc? its just i do like the look of some audi a8 rims or some rs4 rims?

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
If your looking for a tuning box for cheap as chips pricing.. pm me and il sort you my old one out [y] and thats a rare car npw especially with the milage.. you rarely see these 90bhp tdi's (well in brum you don't [:p]) around these days.. as i had to look for some when i was comparing my price for my car for insurance purposes and i couldnt find any.

Sat [y]

·
Registered
372 Posts
thats a good point youve made mantamad, ive got some 18's that i am going to put on my golf, they are multi stud and i hoping they will fit on my golf, when taking them off my current car that im selling for the golf they weighed a ton! (well not literally) but they were heavy im worried incase they are going to mess up my tdi mpg a lot, the odd one or too mpg wont bother me too much, im hoping to get at least 100 miles out of a ?10 is that possible? and will it still be possible after i put the 18's on?

also when you say the replicas are heavier, how can i tell what are replica's on ebay etc? its just i do like the look of some audi a8 rims or some rs4 rims?
Most of the RS4 & R32 wheel sets on ebay are replicas - generally priced with tyres at between ?500 and ?600. The article is quite detailed and quotes the weights of different wheel types.

You should get more than 100 miles from ?10. At worst I will get around 110 miles from ?10.

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
I get 500 miles on a tank (?46) on a 110tdi with one of my tuning boxes fitted. A friend at work has a 90bhp A4 estate with a tuning box on and he gets up to 560 miles on a similar size tank in his. Without the tuning box fitted mpg was no different really.

When I fitted my 18's which are A8 reps I lost a couple of mpg and a little acceleration but nothing too major.

But sticking a tuning box on gained me a lot more acceleration than I lost! [:D]

·
Registered
206 Posts
iv'e got 18" replicas on mine and still get aroud 500 miles a tank.

the fog lights dont come as standart in the lower grills cause that would restrict airflow , because its a turbo,

as for lowering mines dropped 35mm on jamex springs and shocks or it will look like a 4x4 .

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i got it today, i love it, the first thing that hit me was the quality! its so solid, i love the way that you know they have learnt from previous models as to what it takes to make a quality car.The doors shut so solid, the driving position with the arm rest down makes you want to just drive for miles! i cant wait till after xmas to go away for a few days in it, i feel really safe in it cos of its size. i used to have a new shape focus a while back and it just felt like a big boat, the turning on the golf is so tight, i couldnt believe it when i tried to give it some at a roundabout near mine and it didnt faulter. The power is a thing that hits me though, cos its a diesel and a turbo its taking some time to get used to the delay in power and the torque rather than the speed of the engine. when im going through the gears, ive noticed i need to change up quicker to get some power. The mpg is amazing, its always saying 40 ish around the town im sure that can get better.

i love the flippy key!

·
Registered
80 Posts
haha, sod the car the flippy out key is enough to keep you entertained isn't it [H] I got my 1.8T at the weekend and agree with what you say, these things are built so solid! slightly different on the gears though, mine feels like it's happy to keep going forever before I need to change up. Glad your happy [:D]

·
Registered
372 Posts
Glad you like it. Mine is great although after a few months I am un-impressed with the quality, I have had to do a few repairs and the dash on mine squeaks and rattles in cold weather. Design is excellent though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the car i got has been mot'd and serviced every 6k miles from the local vw garage, and it has all the stamps since new and its just had the cam belt changed and something else done, it cost ?300 at the local vw garage! its a really well looked after car! the previous owner must of been loaded! haha

·
Registered
338 Posts
Nice one mate. Glad your happy with it.

I've only had my TDi a couple of months and i still can't get over how good it is.

Get some pics posted.[H]

·
Registered
80 Posts
As Mantamad said, it was freezing today and I noticed that the dash was squeeking a bit which it wasn't doing in warmer weather. That aside there are no knocks/rattles/squeeks - unlike the rattling door and knocking under the footwell I had in my previous Citroen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts