Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might sound like a strange problem, but I just cant wake up in the mornings! I could quite happily sleep through a whole day! Alarm clocks, stereos set to come on at whatever time... they just dont work!!

Does anyone have any suggestions/ tips/ things they do to wake up??

Thanks, and any advice will be very useful!!! Andy [:)]

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Ruddy students! [:p]

I find it hard sometimes to get up in the morning but just get on with it - you'll soon wake up. Jump straight into the shower, you'll soon wake up. Also avoid drinking anything with caffine in before going to bed, this can make you feel groggy in the morning.

Must admit since coming back from NZ I've found it a lot easier to get up and go to sleep. The Jet Lag has done summat' to me!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never drink tea or cofffee, except on very rare occasions, normally just water! The problem being actually waking up!!! Once Im awake I will get a shower etc.. but I could sleep through anything!! I've looked at different alarm clocks and things... but theyre jus all the same!!

I think I just need a bed that tips up and throws me into a pool of water! Lol [:)]

Then again, maybe a trip with loads of Jet Lag will do the trick.... [:D] Might look into that one [;)] Lol!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Funny-i could'nt get up this morning! but thats only because i'm as ruff as a dog....bloody birthday parties,who needs 'em.[8][O]

If you cant get up in the morning,you must have an easy life,because I always NEED to get up.There is always something needs done.

IN saying that,I always go to bed early for some reason???

sorry i have to go.i've just realised that i'm getting old and turning into my dad at the ripe old age of 29. DISASTER[:'(]

Take your lie ins when you can get 'em mate,thats what i say.

·
Registered
728 Posts
The technical answer...(not an exact science)

You need to work out your sleep pattern as you will prob find that when you can't wake up it is because you are in REM sleep. Humans sleep in cycles and these vary from person to person. Some people sleep in 3 hour cycles some 4 some 2 etc.

If you sleep in 3 hour cycles and try and get up after 5, not going to be easy where as after 3 or 6 you should be fine. How long do you sleep if you don't have to get up, ie how many hours? Also people vary in that some people sleep in 4 hour cycles but need 8 hours sleep to feel refreshed where as some may only need 4. I have a mate who only has 3 hours a day, and has done for 9 years. Everyone is different.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I absolutely hate getting up early but luckily only have to do it 3 days a week. I dont agree with the idea of jumping in the shower though, as especially in the winter once you get in there its very hard to get out! Problem i have is i have trouble getting to sleep, then when i have to get up early i've had like 3 hours sleep. My housemate is the laziest person i've ever met, i think he has ME or something, he literally sleeps all day, only gets up for neighbours at 5.30 lol, then goes back to bed!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I never have a problem. As soon as my eyes start to open I'm thinking of all the things I could be doing instead of wasting my life in bed. BUT! On workdays sometimes I really could do with that extra hour!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
he literally sleeps all day, only gets up for neighbours at 5.30 lol, then goes back to bed!
[:D] Your mate sounds cool , wish i had that lifestyle.

I have problems getting up even when i get decent sleep. I set alarm an hour before i have to leave and i always cancel it and get out at the last minute, then that means a massive rush every morning.

Those mood lights are meant to be good, they gradually get brighter to when you have to get up....but unsure as light dosnt get me up.

Tilty bed sounds good [y]

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its true though, I am a student!! Lol!

Im going to have a go at working out my sleep patterns, maybe thats why i cant get up? And I nearly always remember my dreams, and I remember reading somewhere you only remember your dreams if you wake up in the middle of them; so being in a state of REM would make alot of sense! Thanks for that point! [:D]

Well after a week or so putting my alarm clock on at different times, I'll report back whether working out sleep patterns has worked!!

On another note... the only time I seem to be able to get up easily is on the morning of the Himley Hall Meet... up at 6.30 to start washing and waxing etc. now apart from me being a sad git and actually enjoying that, maybe getting up that hour and a half or so earlier means Im out of a REM pattern... hmm... sounds like a good place to start investigating!!!

Thanks for all the comments guys! [:D]

·
Registered
414 Posts
Put you alarm clock/ hifi on the other side of the room and set it ridiculously loud! Once you stand up its alot easier to stay awake.

How can anyone survive on 3 hours of sleep a day!? I feel like crap if I get anything less than 8!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have that trouble.. normally fall asleep in the bath, think im gonna convert to showers!
Lol! I did the same thing a few years ago, was woken up to hysterical shouting and banging on the bathroom door because my mum had thought I'd drowned when there was no answer!! [:)]

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
You could be getting too much OR too little sleep.The same happens to me if I don't get exactly seven hours sleep,if I go to bed early,I struggle to get up.I normally hit the sack at about midnight to get up for work at 7.15 the next morning and never need an alarm clock,I'm normally waking up at about 7am on work days.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Get a neighbour to set off your Golf alarm every morning at the same time... that'll wake you up!!
That is actually true... I've got a Clifford with prox sensor, and everytime it chirps, I jump out of bed to the window!!! So now I just need to figure out how to make it chirp at the right time each morning.... lol [:)]

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
he literally sleeps all day, only gets up for neighbours at 5.30 lol, then goes back to bed!
[:D] Your mate sounds cool , wish i had that lifestyle.
Seriously theres nothing cool about his lifestyle, he has no life because he is always unconcious (or maybe he isnt he just cant stop w4nking lol). Either way, he needs to sort himself out and i'm getting annoyed with him.

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
We bought a thing called a Lumilamp a couple of years ago. And it works.

Once set up, either 15 or 30 minutes before the alarm is due to sound, a faint light comes on and gradually increases in brightness until the alarm comes on. It mimics sunrise and makes one helluvva difference in the winter. It was about ?100 but was well worth it.

Tony

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
All you need to do is it record your car alarm going of, put it cd then play it in the morning to get you up, that would work for me, im well paranoid about my car. But its in the garage now so no worries [:p]

·
Registered
414 Posts
Haha, brings back memories!

All you need to do is it record your car alarm going of, put it cd then play it in the morning to get you up, that would work for me, im well paranoid about my car. But its in the garage now so no worries [:p]
I think then I'd roll over thinking "It's a recording not my actual alarm" then start hitting snooze when someone was breaking in!

I used to be a student and loved the 2pm lie-ins! But I'm now "in the machine" of work, tax & N.I etc and have to get up. I've got my alarm clock set 10mins fast, and have my phone alarm staggered with that, so I can't go back to sleep. Much less hassle just to get up than keep hitting snooze!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts