Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a set of Anni lights from a member on here, and was wondering if anyone knew how to get behind the glass as theres a load of crap stuck behind there that i would like to clean before i put them on the car.

It seems as though theres all dirt and dust on the inside of the glass??

·
Registered
703 Posts
Not Foxy, Jimmy (Golf V5) is your man for splitting the Golf headlamps but it's definitely not a job for the feint hearted and not recommended if you don't have a spare headlight in case it all goes wrong........

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I personally wouldn't try it again. Foxy has done this as well as Jimmy I believe however. Do like Sem says, compressed air

·
Registered
124 Posts
are you sure its inside? I have the same on mine and its actually small stone chips on the outside of the headlight.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cleaned the outside and it all felt smooth. i can see the crap is on the inside. Aint a clue how it got in there! even GolfV5 hasnt any ideas! im buggered!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Haha, don't do like i did and try to get in there with a cotton bud on the end of a tiny screwdriver. It came off so i ended up with dead flies AND a cotton bud stuck behind the glass.

It wasn't a big problem though as it smashed soon after and i had to replace it. The reason it was dirty was that it was missing the plastic cap at the back that protects it from water/dirt ingress.

Fitting headlamps is straightforward but you have to remove the bumper. Not a difficult job but a pain just to fit a headlight. Do a search on the forum and you'll find a link with piccies.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok.

Ive tried to find how to fit the lights on the search but havent had any luck. Does anyone know where it is??

I just thought that to change the lights i just simply unscrew the old ones and put in the new ones? is really neccessary to take the bumper off?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by BlahBlahMan on 04/10/2004 11:37:21

.....The reason it was dirty was that it was missing the plastic cap at the back that protects it from water/dirt ingress.

Fitting headlamps is straightforward but you have to remove the bumper. Not a difficult job but a pain just to fit a headlight. Do a search on the forum and you'll find a link with piccies.

The same as mine.... badly fitted cap over the wiring loom had let flies and all sorts of crud in. I tried washing it out, use some very hot water with a bit of Fairy Liquid, then swill it round and spend along time rinsing all the soap out. Let the whole assembly dry out for at least an hour (I left mine in the sun - mid summer!) Take care not to get water on any of the connections or the adjuster and you should be fine.

Yes you do need to take the bumper off there are 2 fitting screws under the headlight which can only be got at with the bumper removed.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Two screws in the front of both wheel arches to start with! Then remove the two outer grills in the front of the bumer to reveal more torx screws!

You may need to remove the front grill as well. Rally_Chris and I just removed the while lot when we were swapping headlamps.

I've since got myself a haynes manual and it details this quite well but there was a bit on the forum about it too

·
Registered
412 Posts
Opening the lights is possible... at least it is on mk3 lights. I put mine in the oven on low heat for about 15 mins (checking every few minutes that the werent melting!) then when they come out the glue will be soft enough to just gently prise the glass up and slowly pull it off (remembering to avoid touching any of the metal bits that burn like f**k!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts