Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My quotes are coming in at 1400 quid this year from a whole host of people. I got a quote with my mam as the main driver and me as named from liverpool victoria and it was 450 quid however they staed i could only drive the car 3 times a week and not to a work place. I dont know what to do, as obviously that wouldnt be the case. How many on here are doing a similar thing with having 1 of their parents as the main driver and who are you through.???

Im 24 with 1yr ncb - 3 points(sp30)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Any way you can get insured on another car aswell? then you can say you drove that aswell??

**i dont condone that sort of activity though**

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how would driving another car make any difference?.. not sure i understand. How are we supposed to afford insurance these days with quotes like 1400 quid, im nearly 25 ffs!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
quote:

i could only drive the car 3 times a week
Is that time or mileage based? [:O]

How are they going to police that then? Bizarre.

Still the bottom line is they don't like that type of arrangement and as we all know insurance companies don't need much excuse to pay out when we feel they should, so pull the wool over their eyes at your peril.

mind you 1400quid is obscene[:O]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dont know what to do tbh, seriosuly thinking of getting rid of the car....which companies reduce premiums for adding parents as named drivers? not main.

Id pay £900-£1000 but £1370 is the best i can get.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
what i ment by getting added to a less powerfull low insurance grouped car, if the worst happened, you could say it was the first time you had driven it that week and you used the other car the other days. now if you were only insured on 1 car, they would have more of a reason to think you were telling porkies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What type of car have you got?

Have you tried Elephant cos most people seem to get a reasonable quote from them!

Would be wary of doing it through your parents tho'

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Insurance fraud is just stupid IMO. If you want to take the risk, fine but personally I wouldnt consider that...they arent stupid, theyve seen it all before! Named driver on parents policy has been done a billion times before, they know whats going on. And my feeling is theyll just refuse to payout if you crash (saying you drove it more than 3 times a week).

EDIT: 24 with 1 year NCB and they want £1400!?! Shop around, thats pretty high. Im 21 with 4 years NCB and they want £950 for a 1.8T...try www.insuresupermarket.co.uk, its very helpful

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Sarah

Have you tried Elephant cos most people seem to get a reasonable quote from them!
I use Elephant for both my cars and I've got reasonable premiums. However some people on here say Elephant are a bit dodgy when it comes to payout time??!!

scnipps: your quote does seem unfairly high as the guy that works for me has an Astra Turbo Coupe (Grandad's Car) and he pays about 1400 and the other guy that works here has a Clio 172 (Hair dressers car) pays about a grand and they are 24 years old

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Have you tried "More Than" mate, I know someone in the same position who paid £700 on a GTI with his mum as the policy holder and him as the main driver.

This was a few weeks ago.

He has zero no claims but his mum had full.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Make sure that if you are going to be driving more than the policy holder that the insurance know about it....

when we insured the bora, we had 2 cars, and the civic was my mothers main car, so as the bora is also owned and insured by her, Direct-line said it was ok for me to be driving it more than her. so long as i also drove the civic... hence this isnt my car... also cant drive to work or study related....

Now we only have the bora and mostly i am driving, but mostly its with my mother in the passenger seat... or as the family driver...

I am waiting till i get some money then will get a car in my name/ or get a car and transfer the bora to me...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
flux quoted me 1050 but thats with 500 quid excess, thast the cheapest i can find. Thats with mods and 3 points declared. I have tried elephant and it was nearly 2k, more than where similar coming in at 1500

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Sem

Have you tried "More Than" mate, I know someone in the same position who paid £700 on a GTI with his mum as the policy holder and him as the main driver.

This was a few weeks ago.

He has zero no claims but his mum had full.
So how does this work? does this allow me to drive it as mucgh as i want and there is nothing dodgy about it?

btw car is 2.0 gti on x plate with 17" monica's and eibach springs

·
Registered
66 Posts
Try these mate.

www.egg.com

www.directline.co.uk

www.norwichunion.co.uk

www.quotelinedirect.co.uk

I am 21 and have got a 130TDI Bora 0 NC and 4 points and i got insured for £1300 with my girlfriend down as a named driver so yours does seem a bit excessive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tried all them m8

norwich union about 1700, quotline 2200, directline 1450, and egg where about 1300. It must be my postcode

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
greenlight got me to 950 with 400 excess, does anyone know any others i could try. As they seem to play off against each other.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts