Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Getting a 1.6 golf.. wats diff between S and SE??

6K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  ajaypatel 
#1 ·
as above, im 18 so a 1.6 is biggest i can insure sadly, and am looking for a black 1.6 mk4... not sure what the diff between the S and SE is, any help really appreciated.

Ste

#2 ·
The difference is that the SE comes with little extras like all round electric windows, heated rear view mirrors with blue tint, tinted glass,arm rest, think boot 12V socket, sunroof and some SE's have upgraded speakers. There maybe more little bits but it's all I can think of just yet. Get a 1.6SE if you can.

#8 ·
You can get a CD player with both the Beta and Gamma. My first Bora was an 'S' spec and had the Beta headunit with a single slot CD player. The main difference between the Beta and Gamma is the number of outputs there is no rear speaker output on a Beta, no fade function on the headunit if I remember.

#14 ·
performance wise it aint as bad as i used to make out. its a good motorway car i find. pulling away can be sluggish unless you thrash it.

for economy its all down to your driving style.

anything from 35mpg upto low 40's will be average (is for me anyway)

although go over 65mph and the mpg takes a dip so i stick to 60mph

#15 ·
performance wise it aint as bad as i used to make out. its a good motorway car i find. pulling away can be sluggish unless you thrash it.

for economy its all down to your driving style.

anything from 35mpg upto low 40's will be average (is for me anyway)

although go over 65mph and the mpg takes a dip so i stick to 60mph
Yeah i'll second all that mate. I find on the motorway it drinks like a fish , whereas normal driving it can be quite frugal, i never usually thrash it though.

In terms of performance.... i find it very sluggish pulling away, gets going quite nicely once your in third, but 1st and 2nd it just seems to rev its nuts off and not really go anywhere! Cruising performance, ie motorway driving, is good, never really have an issue when i want to overtake something, but i find it a bit noisy on the motorway.

I need a faster car so badly it hurts. Wish i wasnt a poor student sometimes, so i could afford a 4motion. (insurance wouldnt be an issue, i'm 21 with 4 years NCB, torture!!!!)

#17 ·
Lucky you, being in a position to do that. Being a student...just leaves you with no way of saving, your always having to spend money, direct debits/standing orders coming out of your account left right and centre....even if you have a P/T job you will not save anything. But hey i suppose i need my degree for the future....just wish i was in a position to get a new car.

Yeah i wouldnt mind a 130 tdi, it would have to be a Golf though, leons are nice but still no match for a golf in terms of image. Would have to go all out and get a 4motion though, economy would be harsh - but i wouldnt thrash it much, just to know you have that 2.8 V6 under your right foot if the need arises to see off that little gimp in the civic!!! And the noise would be awesome. Wouldnt be tempted by a mk5, it would be an early 1.4 with my budget, feck that!!! And anyway i prefer mk4 styling.

#18 ·
yeah i was going to get a golf tdi, tihng is when i did quotes i couldnt really afford 130 insurance for a golf, only the 115 for the vw but when i did a leon quote the 130 insurance was same as the 115 golf. and i look at the leon and can't help that with cupra R bumpers it looks alot better than the golf. but when you get inside a leon the golf has a much more classy cabin

#21 ·
he didnt mention the gearbox, but i drove it and it felt fine

dad also drove it, n he's a mechanic so he was goin thru the gears givin the geartbox a good feeling and sed it seemed fine so may or may not have been changed, who knows

i dont get it till fri, but until then heresa few off the autotrader

the remote c/l is via a toad keyfob which someones had fitted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.