Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeeze - just got hit for ?215 to replace the plexiglass headlamp that got smashed out by a stone. The chap in vindis suggested I get some protective covers for the headlamps... to which I replied " It's a VW, not a volvo..and I don't tow caravans!".... He laughed and showed me a set that had been already fitted to MK4Golf - and they look good, very subtle - easy to install (apparently)... so for a small cost of ?30 odd, you just might save yourself a couple of hundred quid....mine are on order....

s

·
Golf V R32 3.2 250PS DSG / Golf IV TDI-R 200PS
1,870 Posts
?215!! That's more than a dealer quoted me when I had a stone go through mine! (Bought it from an independant for ?65 and fitted it myself). Can you post pics of the protectors fitted when you've done?

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Holy cow that's a lot of money.
I got quoted ?60 the other day from the scrap man.
Baz

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Standard MK4 lights were only about 105 quid with vat on top when I smashed mine.

210?? Unless that's fitted AND diamond encrusted, they're having a laugh!

C

·
Registered
186 Posts
i was quoted over ?200 in 2002 to replace a headlamp at VW stealer - the labour costs of removing bumper etc. bump it alot even though it's a 1/2 hr job tops - did it myself for around ?80 incl. haynes manual

·
Registered
566 Posts
Why are MkIV Golf headlamps seemingly more prone to getting smashed than other makes of car? Indeed, the car with the most number of headlamp protectors I have seen is the MkIV. From reading this forum about many people getting their headlamps smashed, I myself decided to go and get some protectors too.

~ Maxie

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've always confessed - that I don't like getting dirty... but after watching 3 monkies... sorry mechanics... on this job for an hour through the showroom windows it kinda cemented my resolve to stay away from 'tinkering'...

Watching them drop the bumper, remove the whole unit, take off all the protective housing on the back of the lights.. reinstall it only to find the fog lamp didn't work due to a blown bulb. Disassemble and go through whole process again.... well... to be honest (I'm not rich) then I'm happy to pay them ?70 for labour.

?110 for unit. ?4 for bulb.. then vat......

s

·
Golf V R32 3.2 250PS DSG / Golf IV TDI-R 200PS
1,870 Posts
Fair enough I suppose. Monkeys is right though - who in their right mind wouldn't have the forethought to check the operation of all the headlight bulbs before putting it all back together???!?? 1 hour for three of them as well!!! I've done this several times and it's around 15min single handed - it helps a bit if you have a second person to help slot the bumper cover back in.

Personally, I would have an issue with ?80 odd labour, but I see your not getting dirty point. I'd be interested in what the VW recommended time for this is...

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
I've always confessed - that I don't like getting dirty... but after watching 3 monkies... sorry mechanics... on this job for an hour through the showroom windows it kinda cemented my resolve to stay away from 'tinkering'... Watching them drop the bumper, remove the whole unit, take off all the protective housing on the back of the lights.. reinstall it only to find the fog lamp didn't work due to a blown bulb. Disassemble and go through whole process again.... well... to be honest (I'm not rich) then I'm happy to pay them ?70 for labour. ?110 for unit. ?4 for bulb.. then vat...... s
To be honest, it looks a harder job than it is. If you know how to use a screwdriver, you're half way there!!! [:)]

I'm not very technically minded but found removing the headlights to be pretty easy although once I'd removed them, I turned to look at the car in it's bumper and headlight-less (new word?) state and thought to myself......I hope it goes back together ok!?!? (it did btw!)

Like I said, relatively easy job and if it's going to save me money.......

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine take about 10 seconds to fit or remove, clip at top hooks over seal under bonnet, 2 prongs at bottom wedge under headlamp housing to stop movement.

Can only be fitted or removed with the bonnet open so no chance of disappearing overnight.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Yes, very straightforward and look much better than I expected. The only problem was my fingers getting cold when I was fitting them last Saturday afternoon. It was bitter.

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I've always confessed - that I don't like getting
dirty... but after watching 3 monkies... sorry mechanics... on this job
for an hour through the showroom windows it kinda cemented my resolve
to stay away from 'tinkering'... Watching them drop the bumper, remove
the whole unit, take off all the protective housing on the back of the
lights.. reinstall it only to find the fog lamp didn't work due to a
blown bulb. Disassemble and go through whole process again.... well...
to be honest (I'm not rich) then I'm happy to pay them ?70 for labour.
?110 for unit. ?4 for bulb.. then vat......
s
I fitted my new lights including the protectors myself, dead easy
30 min job, with some fiddiling with leveling motors etc and yes
it does help getting someone to hold one side of the bumper when
putting it back on, here`s a quick pic of the badboy`s [:)]

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'll be getting some headlight protectors tomorrow having just replaced my driver side light again! Thats 2 that have smashed.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have 3 sets of these, they come up for sale on Ebay got my last set for ?17.00 delivered (brand new), word of warning they can break when taking off to clean etc, the small pads stick to the glass, one of the forum members puts a small bit of vasalene on the pads to prevent this happening, works a treat.

Posted Image

·
Registered
236 Posts
And I've also had recommended to me that a coating of 'RainX' on both
the headlamp glass and rear face of the protectors helps with cleaning
between the faces. Yet to fit mine to the Bora (?17 Ebay, genuine VAG
part)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Why are MkIV Golf headlamps seemingly more prone to getting smashed than other makes of car? Indeed, the car with the most number of headlamp protectors I have seen is the MkIV. From reading this forum about many people getting their headlamps smashed, I myself decided to go and get some protectors too.

~ Maxie
MKIV lenses are made from glass, whereas every other car in the range was polycarbonate. No idea why though.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have 3 sets of these, they come up for sale on Ebay got my last set for ?17.00 delivered (brand new), word of warning they can break when taking off to clean etc, the small pads stick to the glass, one of the forum members puts a small bit of vasalene on the pads to prevent this happening, works a treat.

Posted Image
Thats me with the vaseline![:$][:D],Well,a bit of grease anyway. Works a treat,i did this after i broke a few,trying to remove them when i worked for the dealers! Deffo worth doing though,and personally i wouldnt be without them now. Go on,get some bought for your Golf(or Bora!). Cheers,Paul.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts