1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
That's US site.

Try

http://www.dubmeister.co.uk/content.html

for a more local solution.
www.germanplates.com ship their plates direct from Germany, which is where I got mine. ?30 - pair, great postage service.
Same there, 15 each. Bet postage is cheaper though.

Looking again now, sorely tempted.
I have had mine for a couple of months now and to be honest I am thinking of removing them, as they are becoming a bit too popular and getting a bit kitch, if you know what I mean. Might start looking at some others !! German style with GB flags, would look better IMO.

I get so many people asking me if I have a foreign car I am beginning to get tired of answering the same old question !!!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Yes and No, in that order. I have a set of normal plates in the boot, just in case !! I would say I have just left a show and forgot about them.

At one stage I was even sporting both German pollution stickers, but I got rid of one and now I just have a Wolfsburg sticker on both plates. I was getting a lot of questions and strange stares with those on, as they looked like authentic German plates.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I fully recommend www.germanplates.com too
fast service, and not that much more expensive than buying plates from Halfords, paid around ?30 delivered for 2 plates + surrounds.

re: running around with them fitted. I was pulled over on a routine check with mine fitted - the nice policeman asked me if I was in the armed forces as I was sporting 'ze Deutsche plates -

'ahhh bugger I forgot to swap em back, they're my show plates' I responded.

'No no sir I am not asking you to change them, they look quite good and are very readable' was his answer - result!

having said that - I KNOW I was lucky really and the police probably have every right to tell you to get them changed to proper UK plates. Run them at your own risk!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
germanplates.com are not an american company. they are based in germany and a VERY VERY good. When they have made your plate up (appx 24 hours after placing your order) they send you a email picture of your plates right away, then ship them. Plates arrive well within 10 days. Their prices are very very good also. appx ?13 per plate.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Bought mine from German Plates and have also ordered other sets for some of our customers. Top notch quality and very convincing. Also have the pollution stickers in the middle. Am also fed up with being asked whether I am from Germany!!! Not been pulled by the law for them as yet and have had them on the car for over a year now. Been followed by traffic cars a couple of times but they must have better things to do..............

·
Registered
277 Posts
just wondering,

what do these plates look like when on anyone have a picture

also are the black plates with grey lettering legal (i thought they would be illegal)

cheers adz, sorry for hi jackin post

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Jamadz,

Yes mate, the black plates are illegal and you would most likely get pulled.

The German style plates are also illegal but so are lots of other worse style plates, but the police tend to turn a blind eye, so long as they can clearly read the lettering.

As for what they look like, log onto www.germanplates.com and they have a plate builder where you can see exactly what your plate will look like !!!!

Stock TDI

The reason I bought mine was to be slightly different to all the other Golfs around, try it mate !!!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
What is the reason for buying german plates again?
While were on the subject, what is the reason for the B .:R style grille badge on a TDI !!!
fair comment there i think [;)]

wish i hadnt seen this thread now as i have just ordered a nice set of uk spec german style ones [:D]

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
What is the reason for buying german plates again?
While were on the subject, what is the reason for the B .:R style grille badge on a TDI !!!
fair comment there i think [;)]

wish i hadnt seen this thread now as i have just ordered a nice set of uk spec german style ones [:D]
Would that be pressed metal plates in the German lettering with GB flags ?? I wouldn't mind a set of these.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts