Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting some german style plates for my golf and was hoping someone could let me know where i can get hold of a set? The only place i can find is in america and has plates shipped from germany (germanplates.com). Is there anywhere in the uk that does them? What does everyone think about these? i think they look good myself but im gonna go for plates without the german euro flag.

·
Registered
49 Posts
dubmeister.co.uk(or.com not sure off top of head)

they do german plates, good choice for the ones with no D, are you going to have a white rear one?

when i first got my G60,it was on german plates, still is sometimes [;)], but the grief you get from some narrow minded idiots is unreal,

couple of guys got bit of a shock when i told them where to go when they thought i was german and were shouting at me to go back to my country (what for i dont know) doesnt help i suppose that my car is a left hooker too though!

go for yellow rear, they have less of a reason to pull you

·
Registered
305 Posts
I got mine from germanplates.com - top quality stuff and top service - they keep you updated with your order process and even send you digi photos of your plates when they've been made and are ready for shipping.

I got yellow rear and white front, with plastic surrounds and IIRC it came to about ?35-40 delivered - took about a week after order placement for delivery.

Highly recommended mate

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for that just had a look, they are a little pricey tho, might just go for the ones through the american site, its the equivilent price in dollars as it is in pounds for the dubmeister site [:O] will go for the yellow rear, far too many police with nothing to do around here [;)]

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Lee think i will do just as u said, quite liking the wolfsburg plate surrounds on dubmiester tho [:)]

·
Registered
305 Posts
get just bare plates from germanplates.com and the wolfsburg surrounds from then other dub...... place then - there's a nice compromise eh!!

my plastic surrounds are just plain but I think you can replace the bottom clip on piece for a piece that has writing i.e. wolfsburg logo. I could be wrong tho!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what i was gonna do [:)] am i right in thinking that u only have a surround on the rear and not the front?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wouldnt a surround look funny on the front with the curve of the bumper? looked at the markIV ones but the wolfsburg appeal more, sorry [:$]

·
Registered
305 Posts
The surrounds look fine on the front - they're flexible so they curve around with the bumper.

I've got surrounds front and back [:)]

·
Registered
113 Posts
So whats the deal with these plates? Do you need to pay any thing extra to register the plates or anything. I should imagine the DVLA want to know about plate changes? Is this easy?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dont need to tell anyone anything they are simply plates showing your own registration number but in the german font. Anyone got any pics of plates with surrounds? front and rear if possible [:)]

·
Registered
305 Posts
I could take picsof mine - but not til the weekend when I can borrow a camera - sorry.

Nudda on here has them and he posted pictures up somewhere to show me so try and find them - I'll see if I can find the link to that thread later on.

·
Registered
194 Posts
where can i get the stadt stickers from what ppl all have on the german plates?

on dubmister there seem to be loads of different ones

·
Registered
530 Posts
i got the Stadt stickers free with my plates order from germanplates.com

I cannot fault them, excellent service and would definately recommend them!

cheers

Noel

PS I think i paid ?26 all in with the exchange rate about a month ago.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I got caught by a really narrow minded police man with nothing better to do with his time but lecture me on the fact that i could be a terrorist, with these plates on my car and if HE caught me again he would report me to the DVLA and they would take my car reg away so that i couldnt use my car again and he also gave me a 30 quid fine aswell [Y] cheers mate well chuffed

·
Registered
152 Posts
A terrorist? For having German plates? If you had some iraqi plates maybe. . .

I think they look good, but just gives the man a reason to pull you over

1 - 20 of 25 Posts