Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this whilst looking for some new plates. Interesting, if you have ever been told to remove your German spec plates. Posted on Dubmeisters website.

The Law And German Plates01 Dec 2005
We had some contact from DVLA regarding pressed alloy German plates, and were asked to make sure all were aware they are illegal for road use, and to sell strictly for off road use..no problem and we have posted this on the Show plate page.

Then info came in that their was a section in the Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 561
The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 saying otherwise...
And we quote:

1PART 1

VEHICLES REGISTERED AND NEW REGISTRATION PLATES FITTED ON OR AFTER 1ST SEPTEMBER 2001 (MANDATORY SPECIFICATION)

1. The plate must be made of retroreflecting material which, as regards its construction, colour and other qualities, complies with the requirements of -

(a) the British Standard specification for retroreflecting number plates published on 15 January 1998 under number BS AU 145d[13], or

(b) any other relevant standard or specification recognised for use in an EEA State and which, when in use, offers a performance equivalent to that offered by a plate complying with the British Standard specification,

and which, in either case, is marked with the number (or such other information as is necessary to permit identification) of that standard or specification.

2. Where the registration mark is displayed on the front of the vehicle, it must have black characters on a white background.

3. Where the registration mark is displayed on the back of the vehicle, it must have black characters on a yellow background.

PART 2

VEHICLES REGISTERED ON OR AFTER 1ST JANUARY 1973 AND BEFORE 1ST SEPTEMBER 2001 (OPTIONAL SPECIFICATION)

1. The plate must be made of reflex-reflecting material which, as regards its construction, colour and other qualities, complies with the requirements of -

(a) the British Standard Specification for reflex-reflecting number plates, published on 11 September 1972 under the number BS AU 145a[14], or

(b) any other relevant standard or specification recognised for use in an EEA State and which, when in use, offers a performance equivalent to that offered by a plate complying with the British Standard specification,

and which, in either case, is marked with the number (or such other information as is necessary to permit identification) of that standard or specification.

2. Where the registration mark is displayed on the front of the vehicle, it must have black characters on a white background.

3. Where the registration mark is displayed on the back of the vehicle, it must have black characters on a yellow background.

? Crown Copyright 2001
Section from page:
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2001/20010561.htm#sch2

Note (b) in each section!

We are seeking definate clarification...

Quote from email received direct today from DVLA Swansea.

"I can confirm that your assumption is mostly correct and European number plates may be used legally on vehicles manufactured between these dates (1973 and 2001). Schedule 2 Part 1 also extends the 'European' facility to number plates fitted on vehicles manufactured after September 2001. However, the equivalence test would be carried out against the latest issued British Standard"

Our plates are German DIN standard marked...so should be UK legal in themselves...We have more work to do, but will be doing this with some urgency.

Watch this space!!!

http://www.dubmeister.co.uk/index.html

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have been pulled over for both speeding by a traffic cop and by normal coppers for a routine "spot check" in the last couple of months. None of the policemen mentioned anything about my plates and they did check them. :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
was followed today be a traffic cop, mine are german plates reading M3-TAM with the stickers above the dash, i was pooing my self lol, but they didnt bother so thank god, hope this law is true ;-)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I have had my plates on now for 2 years and they are reflective and my car is a 99 so going by the rules above i should be ok really unless there has been a re-vamp, and i hope there has`nt as i got pulled while parked in my local shopping park and given the third degree by some stuck up old copper and given a ?30 fine and told get caught by me again and the DVLA will take you reg away and your car will be useless

So peeps does anyone have any clarifaction on this yet am i right in saying that coz i have a 99 reg car i am ok to run the plates legally as they are reflective

·
Registered
530 Posts
on my way home today i got stopped at a check point and the copper took a good look at my German Plates and didn't say anything to me.

I don't see any problem with them as long as they are semi reflective and have the correct colours front and back.

cheers

Noel

·
Registered
678 Posts
Haven't got a clue on this subject really, but i would have thought the only problem would be the lettering/number font? I thought they had to be the standard font to comply, which is why plates with non standard font are no allowed? Could anyone confirm this aswell please?

Thanks,Sam

·
Registered
678 Posts
Haven't got a clue on this subject really, but i would have thought the only problem would be the lettering/number font? I thought they had to be the standard font to comply, which is why plates with non standard font (italic's, etc) are not allowed? Could anyone confirm this aswell please?

Thanks,Sam

·
Registered
222 Posts
Evening all,

I've just got my plates today from german plates.com going to put them on WHEN it stops bloody raining. A friend of a friend as got pressed plates on his mk2 and hes not been bothered by the police in a few year of having them on.

So hopfully they will leave us all alone to enjoy what we do.

Cheers Lee

·
Registered
453 Posts
I run non standard font on UK style plates, and ive not had any problems :) Theyre reflective and are the correct colours front and back, so I dont see the problem! Also its not an illegible font, rather just a tad smaller height wise :)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Haven't got a clue on this subject really, but i would have thought the only problem would be the lettering/number font? I thought they had to be the standard font to comply, which is why plates with non standard font (italic's, etc) are not allowed? Could anyone confirm this aswell please?

Thanks,Sam
thats the correct rule for VOSA compliance.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
I have the plates from germanplates.com, and was stopped by coppers a few weeks ago, questioned me and told me "them plates are illegal" i told them they arent and i told them where i got them from, and said that the site said they were UK road legal. They didnt question me further. Maybe it was because they didnt have a clue what they were talking about. The woman copper in the passenger asked me whether the car was imported [:)]

·
Registered
678 Posts

Thanks,Sam
So sorry for sounding stupid, are you saying tht these's plate's are road legal but won't pass an MOT?

·
Registered
69 Posts
It is not just about yellow rear and white front etc. British law clearly states under 'construction and use' the legal size inc. height, spacing and thickness of lettering allowed on number plates fitted to UK cars and the German plates style of lettering does NOT conform to this standard, its as simple as that. If you want to draw unwanted attention to your car then drive around with the German ones fitted.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts

Thanks,Sam
So sorry for sounding stupid, are you saying tht these's plate's are road legal but won't pass an MOT?
i was wondering that aswell lol

·
Registered
337 Posts
Had my plates on from Dubmeister now for 3 months..Got pulled xmas for an insurance cock up,Police camera read the plates and flashed up the insurance error,(last 3 letters ZVJ instead of ZBJ).All they asked was I in the forces and when I asked them about the plates they had no problem.The plate recogniser thingy onboard the vehicle correctly identified me so all was well I reckon.Stopped again this Wednesday,forgot to put on my lights,again no mention on the plates..Got my first MOT due in March,gonna ask them 1st if ok.....heres a pic

Posted Image

·
Registered
69 Posts
They look really good but everyone PLEASE believe me when I say that THEY ARE ILLEGAL regardless of what a mot tester or police officer may say(they do not know all the regulations 'off top of their heads' )! If you want to find out for sure or if you are in any doubt pop your plates into the local police traffic dept. and get the definative answer.........but make sure you have the proper ones in your boot so that you can put them on to drive away!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I know they are illegal dude.I reckon eventually I will get pulled by the anal copper and that will be it,shows only.I,m asking my MOT guy just so I know to switch plates before hand...I wonder if the latest batch of our eastern european brothers will be asked to remove theirs.Doncaster is full of Polish cars and they are white front and back.I know its different for tourists but these guys have moved in.Hmmmmmmmm MKIV golf with polish plates or even Slovakian seeing as thats where mine was put together..

Cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts