Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a thought at the moment but I would like a front bumper which could take a FMIC without excessive cutting and the R32 front seems to fit the bill.

Which would be the best to get?

Which will provide the best possible fit?

I know Stewart had an R32 front though can't for the life of me remember if it was RLine or Genuine but the fit wasnt the best I have seen.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I think the R-line front bumper is the better fit. Have a word with Estoril Blue. He had his r-line front bumper fitted a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've got the genuine R32 front, and it fits perfectly. Only slight issue is that the arch liners don't quite reach the bumper, but my bumper came with plastic extension pieces that sort that problem. Its cheaper too, ?325 ish all in inc grills from GPC VW/audi, I had to collect it from Luton area though.

I think, the R32 bumper is meant to have more room behind it than the r-line for an intercooler, not 100% sure on that though.

·
Registered
445 Posts
i have a genuine r32 and it fits with no prob's at all. as for room for the fmic i found there to be plenty of room for this mod. not to sure about the r-line.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Lol Gary you slag, the fit was/is perfect! It was the pattern O/S wing (with vent) that made it look out of line.

It was an R-Line bumper and they are IDENTICAL to the R32 item with the exception of the perforated grills which are desirable on the 1.8T's.

Wasnt the best fit lol

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry Stewart [:D]

At least we have cleared that up now, I think a drink is in order for you at the next meet!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
My golf is currently at the body shop having the full anni kit (excluding the front valance) and the genuine R32 front bumper fitted on. Will let you know how I get on.

As Stewart said above the R-Line and R32 front bumpers are identical except for the side grills, the R-line grills are fully meshed where as the R32 are blocked, the body shop said they wont have a prob cutting out the plastic mesh so it looks perfect.

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
vw kal, i,ll post the part numbers of the grills from the rline front bumper, if you want?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Gary what about a caractere front bumper, I take it you need the space for an FMIC I always think r32 bumpers dont work unless you do the rear aswell.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote: posted by andymac on 21/03/2005 00:03:40

Gary what about a caractere front bumper, I take it you need the space for an FMIC I always think r32 bumpers dont work unless you do the rear aswell.

I've spent a bit lately so this is well and truely on hold but IF I ever get back around to doing it then I will still go for the R32 (dont like the droopy front of the Caractere) and will also smooth out the rubstrips on the rear bumper.

This should create a very nice match.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Those that say the bumpers are identical, have you measured up the two against each other???

They look the same when on, but the genuine R32 version is much more flimsy and physically thinner so would possibly give a little extra space for the FMIC. The rline one is better made in my opinion.

·
Registered
58 Posts
maybe thats why the R-line are alot more expensive?

hz2921 - yes please, can you post the part numbers for the grills.

Cheers

I`m having the rear bumper smoothed out as it matches the clean lines of the R32 front bumper.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Quote: posted by awesomeade on 21/03/2005 11:17:41

other way around - the genuine R32 ones cost more..

GPC Vw/audi can get genuine R32 bumpers, including grills for ?325. I should know, I've got one! I haven't seen an R-Line bumper that price.

Seemed well made to me, same quality as the original golf bumper it replaced.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Can someone post the part numbers for the two lower outside grills please!

AFAIK the R line kit grills are open and not closed off like the R32 grills!

Many thanks

Martyn

1 - 20 of 26 Posts