Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just had a quick question when people use a gasket maker do they use as alternative to actually fitting another gasket or do they put some on a used gasket to help seal it back it together?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On what gasket? If it needs an o-ring or paper gasket, replace. If it needs sealant, use that. Don't use it to cowboy stuff.
The reason am asking is because I got another used turbo fitted on my golf the other day after my last one broke. The guy that fitted it is one of my dads mates who works from home as a mechanic and I noticed when he gave us the old turbo back in the box he left some of this stuff in there:

and I was just wondering where he may of used this because there's the downpipe gasket and manifold gasket on the turbo side of things. I just assumed he might of used some when reusing the old gaskets but now am wondering if he just used this stuff and didn't bother reusing the old ones. There's no issue am just curios that's all.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Might have used it on the oil feed pipe joints to the turbo. Thats a complete guess. Intake manifold? Can't see it lasting on the exhaust side.
I know the oil feed line has a banjo bolt with two copper washer when you put it back together. I was thinking the manifold am not complaining or anything I was just curious.

I was thinking of getting my old turbo reconditioned and keep it as a spare one just in case. Does anyone know of any reputable companies here in the UK that renconditon turbos?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts