Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly is different about the GAMMA HU connections than a normal ISO connector? My MKII features an untidy mess of multi coloured wires which I've handily terminated in standard ISO connecters.

I ask because I'm going to put a spare Gamma I've been given into my MKII although the illumination will clash terribly- maybe I'll put purple bulbs in the MKII- LOL[:D]

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
That is exactly what I'm planning to do with my old Gamma and changer. If yours is like mine (early 99 version) there is a diagram on the unit giving the connections.

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wish I could find a way to stick the indash CD changer in the MKII as well but I guess that's a bridge too far.

No diagram I'm afraid.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Quote: posted by sammyboy on 10/01/2005 16:18:13

No mine's out of my anniversary- wish I could find a way to stick the indash CD changer in the MKII....

Votex Centre console and some lead extensions?

Mark

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
With Votex console, you could fit both units in the console, but would have to move electric window switches.

The only difference in the ISO plug on the MK II and MK IV golf is that the perm. live and ign. live will be the other way round and the MKII will not have a k-line wire in pin 1 of the ISO for auto volume (speed dependant).

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
[URL=http://www.swgmotorsport.com/asps/uploads/big/10-1.jpg]http://www.swgmotorsport.com/asps/uploads/big/10-1.jpg[/URL][img]

This is the vortex console, obviously you would need to remove guages and then you will have a double din aperature.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Right I instaled my Gamma and boot changer from my 99 Mark IV into my Mark II on Saturday.

Had to get the meter out to check the wiring as the Kenwood that was in the Mark II wasn't wired for ignition switching or illumination.

I'll host a picture of the wiring diagram from the top of my Gamma when I have some time. The odd thing is that the Gamma has a perminant live plus two switched live. All working ok though and the speaker outputs use the ISO std.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Quote: posted by cage on 15/01/2005 16:53:30

Posted Image

This is the vortex console, obviously you would need to remove guages and then you will have a double din aperature.

Why would you need to move anything? The console on its own has 2 single DIN apetures. Assuming you kept the electric window switches, that still leaves you with a spare hole. The Gamma and 6 disc are 2 separate single DIN units, so you could mount the Gamma in the dash in the usual place, and fit the 6-disc in the Console, above the leccy window switches. OK, you would have to extend some of the wiring, which would be a pain in the backside, but worth it.

Having said that, if you can get an unmolested one, you should count yourself lucky. I saw one on eBay the other day, but it was hacked about to fit in a G60 (ie higher transmission tunnel).

Cheers

Mark

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Totally different on my Gamma HU but the colours you connected on the MK2 ie wiring diagram would be of use as I have no multimeter or idea how to use one and my ISO connecter doesn't work.

think I can work out Gala etc but its the MK2 end that's fooling me.

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you could that would be great, my MKII features a mass of wires following the stereo being removed by an unathorised individual on a personal wealth creation scheme.

Thought I had it sussed which was which but the Gamma won't power on.

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
Hope this helps?

Red= +ve

Brown= -ve earth

Black= Aerial amplifier (HU switched)

Grey/Blue= Illumination

Brown/Red= +ve switched

Yellow/White= Gala Wire? (At least I think it is! as I've had a HU inc/dec volume automatically!)

Posted Image

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Still having problems, I don't have the brown/red + switched wire, I connect up red+ and brown- as well as the blue/grey illumination and the red security light on the Gamma starts flashing but it won't power on.

Is the brown/red + switched wire necessary then? As I don't have one can I just run the connection along with the other + to the red+ on the cars wiring loom?

Also if I blow up my Gamma how much do they cost on ebay[:I]

·
1,132 Posts
What you could do is connect the red to the red/black slot. HOWEVER you might find your battery drains quicker depending on the duty required from the switched gamma input.

On the back of your ignition terminal block (that's right! behind the key slot!) you may find the black/red cable (switched ignition - ie push your key in activates it; not turning it!)

Trace this cable to the back of the central electrics (or there abouts) and you should find a connector plug - this then leads up to the head unit! Let me see if I have a pic of some sort.....

·
1,132 Posts
My past mk2 in an unhealthy state!

Not sure if it helps but you can just make out the ignition connector

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 26 Posts