Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to do a coolant this weekend and the local motor factors only have Red G30 coolant in. Is this ok to use on the PD150. The book does specify G12

Cheers

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Nope. G30 looks like a Mono Ethylene Glycol while the VAG G12++ (note the ++ suffix!) is Organic Acid Technology coolant. They don't mix and when added together they form a brown sludge.

I may be wrong though, but the dealers stuff is not too expensive anyway.

·
oooo audi
4,721 Posts
i have never heard of g30 i used g12+ from the dealers even though my motor factors sell red cheaper, if your unsure get the proper stuff its not that expensive imo

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Having checked further online, there's much discussion about G30 coolant and whether or not it's suitable. A couple of sites say that G30 is Ethylene Glycol based, while others say it's OAT. Given the grey areas I'd just go with VAG stuff personally.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so ive been onto the Commaoil website looking at these Coolant and Antifreeze

G30 = VW G12/G12+

G40 = VW G12++ for cars from 2005

G48 = VW G11

So would the G40 (G12++) be ok for a 2002 PD150

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Found the website who produce the stuff and says OEM requirements

http://www.commaoil.com/productsguide/view/6/350/XSM5L

Plus VW want £36 as this G30 is £17
I thought G12+ was only about £6-8/litre?? so u'll need 3 litres, so around £20?

I've paid £6 in the past from my local VW parts place, and I'm guessing not much more from TPS VW dealers?

·
oooo audi
4,721 Posts
looked into it the g30 is g12+ and the g40 is g12++ used on the later vws the mk4 range used the g30

its by comma and i believe they stand by their claim and it is the oat tech

1 - 10 of 10 Posts