Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to see how far my pd 130 can make it on one tank. Here is my best so far, 751.8 miles. I have the ventectomy mod done (see tdiclub) and I filled it to the brim after, it took 65.0 litres! Trip computer on 74 miles is how far I went after the warning light came on. Tank average is around 53mpg.

Posted Image

On tdiclub there are reports of 800 miles for a pd.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Im lucky to get 400 miles in my 115 PD!

As is happens, I've been paying more attention than normal to the mpg
figures and the following seem far too low for a TDI (as averages):

30mph area = 25-30mpg

70mph areas = 40mph if Im very lucky!

Over a tank (400 miles) I average about 37mpg of mixed driving.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Im lucky to get 400 miles in my 115 PD!

As is happens, I've been paying more attention than normal to the mpg
figures and the following seem far too low for a TDI (as averages):

30mph area = 25-30mpg

70mph areas = 40mph if Im very lucky!

Over a tank (400 miles) I average about 37mpg of mixed driving.
Yeah, that's really low - are you sure someone's not changed your engine for a 1.8T or something?!!

I'm starting to get about 400-450 and I dunno why!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I think a vantectomy (made up name - those crazy yanks!) is when you
fill the expansion tank with fuel aswell. The only thing with
that is to make sure you're going to use that extra 5-10L in the
expansion tank straight away, otherwise the fuel's got nowhere to go
when it heats and expands.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Around 700/720 max with tank venting for me too.....when filling i get around 59-61 litres in so roughly 52-54 mpg at motorway speeds in flowing traffic 70mph for 70 miles and same on the way home...btw this is with cruise set.I make sure i always use the tank vent method on outward journeys so to allow the fuel to be used in the neck 1st and then the tank after...i never fill then leave to stand,you must drive away asap.The only reason i do this is cos on a 5 day week i always finish at 11pm and 5 days of this driving is 700 miles hence vent the tank =1tank of fuel per working week....who wants to stop to fuel @ midnight after a day at work [:|].I also have known a PD130 to be cruised all the way thru to germany and get close to 780 with venting....Im surprised someone hasnt seen me on the M25 by now in Driving Miss Daisy Mode[:p]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Best I've got so far is 685 miles, thats with my Golf GT TDi 110
(included visits from Manchester to Glasgow/Birmingham). I'm soo
glad I got a diesel. Not looking back after trading in my Corolla
1.6 Petrol which got about 300-350miles per tank! This thing
continues to amaze me all the time

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ive got a 115pd, just managed to get 600miles from full (no venting) until the warning light came on. If Im right thats about 48 litres, so about 56mpg (which agrees with my cars computer).

The problem is, it was the most boring 600 miles Ive ever driven! I think Il have to live with 500 miles to the tank if I want to stay sane. I swear its more of an effort driving at 70 on the motorway, always on the inside lane fighting to get out to overtake lorries, much easier to sit in the outside lanes passing everyone on the inside.

Impressive figures with those 700+miles per tank results though...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I always get at least 600 miles on a tank, with venting.

550 minimum, without venting.

I'm sure i could get over 700 miles from a tank, but i can't go a whole month without have a bit of fun.

All very impressive for a gti turbo'd car with 150 bhp.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.