Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This strange X-files like variable pitched wind noise (sort of wooo wooo get the picture)seems to only effect GT TDi 140. Your Experiences [^][:D][:eek:)][:p]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
i have just got a gt tdi and i am having the same problem with this so called OWL NOISE and its doing my head in.

does anyone no what the cause is as my car as been back to dealers once and still the same.

i would appreciate any coments on this

marlin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,700 Posts
Is it when you take your foot off boost and you get this sort of turbo noise but not like the whoosh you get when bring the boost on?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Irish

it is worse from about 30 to 50 mph with no turbo boost it is so ANNOYING i am not sure what it is but definitely going back to dealers tomorrow to get it sorted even if it means taking the tech out with me for a test drive.

having read other peoples coments i was interested to know weather they managed to sort out the problem

marlin [:(]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,700 Posts
Deffo not what I get slowing down and coming off boost so...plus the noise I get is just like the turbo slowing down and only get it in traffic when crawling along.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My noise comes and goes, heard it very cleary yesterday BUT I was in the middle of a forest park with lots of trees to perch in[:D]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,063 Posts
Quote: posted by SuperMario.Dave on 28/03/2005 18:44:08

nowt for me,just a nice growling,if you dream hard enough you can imagine you are driving a nice V8

And then you glance at the mpg read-out and realise that there is no way you could be!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Took delivery of 2.0GT TDI in December complete with owl noise. I did not want the local stealership to do anything until VW had a "fix" for the prodlem. Fortunatly the Service managers GT TDI had the same problem.

After about 6 weeks I had a phone call the service manager had info from VW that the problem was caused by misalignment of the downpipe/catalyst connexion. All that was needed was to loosen and retighten the connexion in a specific way and the problem was solved.

My car was booked in and the magic fix applied - it didn't work - the noise was worse. A second attempt - no better.

The lastest information via VW is that this fix only solves about 70% of the problems for the other 30% a new catalytic converter is needed. But it needs to be modified in some way and when thats done it will need some sort of approval before it can be made available for fitting.

Hopefully this should happen within the near future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
I have at the moment a tdi bora courtesy car and it whistles like mad i have only had the car a day and its gettin on me nerves. I have a MKV GT TDI and it sounds sweet compared to the bora. Would want to know what the owl noise was if i had it all the time though.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top