Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seen a fully colour coded red 5 door gti at a vw garage in willenhall, west midlands. It doesn't quite gel for me fully colour coded, takes something away from the look of the car. Worst are the honey combe surrounds for the spot lights, colour coding realy shows up the 'open' honey combe sections. They looked like they had been done using halford's red spray!! Sorry if this is your motor you're waiting to pick up!! I would have left the exterior stock and put the money toward the 18" wheels. Just looks like a mkv colour coded and it makes the 17" wheels look to small.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Always thought anything else apart from a coded rear valance would ruin the car alright and you've just confirmed that!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya Irish! I was over in dublin for my 30th before christmas, stayed in the dublin conrad..very nice. I was last in dublin 4 years ago, my god the place has changed. You still on the radio?

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
LOL I saw that and Willenhall Coachcraft the other week and thought the honey comb bits ny the spots were absolute pants and looked really tacky, im wandering whether this is part of the colour pack (colour coded rear valance) or whether coachcraft have colour coded it themselves cos I can't see that being done and the factory IMO

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I saw that too at Willenhall Coachcraft.

The front grilles look awful, the rear valance looks ok but they should have smoothed the texture before painting it!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Did you get pics of the red GTI color coded?

Irish - might try getting a group buy for superchips here in Dublin, are you interested?

·
Registered
771 Posts
There is a silver GT TD140 that drives around Glasgow with all the bumpers and sills coded. Doesn't look too bad, although I don't think the air intakes are coded.

Sounds like a botched job if they aint smoothed the surfaces before spraying.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
kentboy - yes I am still working there, was on yesterday when you posted. Dublin has certainly changed in the last 4 years.

Dog - have a look at www.vage.ie first off, secondly I was actually on the phone to superchips today, ?650 they want including RR figures. I am pretty sure I'll go with it in Feb but yeh if you can get maybe one or two more and get the price down all the better. Barry was the name of the guy I was talking to.

Back on topic I just think the plastic sills etc help make the car stand out more and colour coding everything would look naff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I might be interested in a Superchips groupbuy too lads. When are you talking about doing it?

I had kinda talked myself out of a remap when my insurance company (Hibernian) never replied to my email enquiring about remaps. T&C's of most other Irish insurers said 'No Mods'. Was kinda starting to give up on the whole idea. Then last night I got an email from Hibo appologising for the delay in responding and that as an existing long standing customer, they would try to accomodate me. Gonna drop them an email with my details and see what they quote me. Fingers crossed that it will only be another 1 or 2 hundred rather than another grand!!

?650 sounds great! Theres a tuning crowd out here in Bray and they are looking for ?550 for a tuning box!!

DirtyDog, Theres probably only a handful of 3.2 A3's in the country so assuming we all went ahead with this, if you ever meet a black A3 that manages to keep up with you...chances are, that'll be me or Irish! [:D]

·
Registered
285 Posts
Irishtoo you chose your words wisely "that manages to keep up with you"[:D]

I'll be making some calls in the next few days to get some prices etc for a group buy. IF you have any other friends drop me a mail with numbers. I'm also going to look at the Upsolute option, worked well before for me so worth looking at - and theres no insurance issues.

Keep your eyes posted on the group buy section...

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Guys just a quick note - might be an idea to do all this on www.vage.ie as you'll get more Irish people seeing it.

Who has a 3.2 anyway?

·
Registered
11 Posts
No I've a 2.0TDI A3 too. I just meant that the only other A3 model in the range on sale in Ireland (no sign of Audi Ireland selling the 2.0TFSI) that would keep with our remapped TDI's would be a 3.2Q and I can't imagine Audi managing to sell many. So chances are if you see a black A3 keeping up with your golf then chances are it will be a remapped 2.0TDI ie. me or Irish. :D

Naughty boy Irish on the insurance front!! I just did a google search for Superchips and Ireland and the first link was for your posts (Mark N) at motornet.ie!! You were slagging off superchips in one of your August posts there!!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Yeh I spoke to someone there who wasn't exactly reassuring in their knowledge but I got someone else on the phone last week.

There is a place called TurboTech based in Bray/Wicklow (one or the other) and he is another option, I'm just gonna wait until the money is there first anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
He's based on the Dargle Road here in Bray. Very handy for me if I decided to go there. Turns out I actually know the guy. He owns/runs the longstanding ICE shop in the same block of shops. Didn't know the Techtronics ED was the same guy that installed changers and headunits for me in the past . Its the place I mentioned in my post with regard to tuning boxes but upon further research on vage last night it seems aswell as boxes he also does custom maps with Jabba Software. Question is can he remap a PD140 yet? I might give him a buzz tomorrow.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Has anyone ordered a GTi with the Votex Kit, to get rid of the black plastic?

Well only for the rear bumper, as the front and side are bespoke to Gti

1 - 20 of 25 Posts