Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all

Have a 2002 GT TDI, with 50,000 miles on it...

Have noticed a groaning from the steering(?) at low speeds - particularly in car parks maneuvering in and out of spaces. It disappears if I depress the clutch pedal.

Any ideas? Initially thought it might have been the steering pump, but the stealers say that it's unlikely at 50,000 miles... Have tried topping up the steering fluid with the expensive stuff from VW. No change.

Any help gratefully received... Not causing any real problems, but just an annoyance (at the moment...) [;)]

Cheers all!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, not the belt, but the power steering fluid is definitely okay.

The groaning stops when I depress the clutch, so could it be a wheel bearing, CV joint, or something like that?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem found by VW. Wanted to share it with you, as there appears to be a lot of this type of problem...

The symptoms involve a low whine, like the sound of a finger on a wine glass, or blowing over the top of a bottle. This was heard at car park speed, when turning sharply, but not on full lock as I first thought. Noise disappears when clutch is depressed.

Turned out to be the front roll bar bushes being worn. Replacement from VW is ?118.

HTH

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey, I have exactly the same issue and I had no clue of what was the problem...
Let's see if the new powerflex front bushes solve it nicely...

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
I've got new antiroll bar bushes and mine makes this sound every now and then.

I put it down to the extra loading on the power steering system caused by fitting 18's with 225 tyres.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Problem found by VW. Wanted to share it with you, as there appears to be a lot of this type of problem...

The symptoms involve a low whine, like the sound of a finger on a wine glass, or blowing over the top of a bottle. This was heard at car park speed, when turning sharply, but not on full lock as I first thought. Noise disappears when clutch is depressed.

Turned out to be the front roll bar bushes being worn. Replacement from VW is ?118.

HTH
I've just noticed a very similar sounding thing on my Mk4 (60,000), is there an easy way of checking whether its the bushes or not on mine?

?118 over a year ago, should be roughly the same now shouldn't it? [:O]

cheers

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
The bushes aren't much more than ?20 and are not hard to fit.

I'd go for a bit of DIY and save some ? if I were you.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have the same problem.

Also with the engine off and hence PAS off, there is a little rotational play in the steering wheel ???, any ideas ??

Paul

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As an update, this didn't fix it as VW claimed it would. The ARB bushes replacement did seem to clear it - for about a week. Really tightened things up too - felt like a new car again.

However, the whining / moaning noise has got progressively worse, and I now also have the slight play in the steering wheel with engine running or not. It's also accompanied by a worsening 'clunk' when I rock the steering wheel. The moaning noise is becoming more and more resonant, and although the 'rough' feeling over potholes, rough roads and the like is nowhere near as bad as before the ARB bushes were replaced, it's definitely back. Steering feels vague - almost like it's slightly disconnected from the wheels.

Notice that most of the other people here are diesel owners (or 'heavier' petrol car owners) - I know these cars eat suspension components. I had a drive of a mates PD 130 the other day, and his was exactly the same.

Booked at JKM on Friday, so will feedback what they find.

·
Registered
230 Posts
one of my mates reckons its the steering rack. Got mine booked in at the stealers next week. Luckly I purchased a 3rd party warrenty which should cover the costs of any work

·
Registered
829 Posts
@ cliff_tdi130

Can you give a fuller explanation of the 'play' you're getting? You should be able to wiggle the steering wheel when the engine is off and you're stationary, and it'll get harder to turn as the tyres start to scrub on the road surface. Shutting off the engine doesn't lock the steering in any way, only by engaging the steering lock can you do this.

@ si_c

Do you get the noise when stationary and on lock or is it only when the car is moving? If only when moving is the noise related to your road speed? As an experiment, try getting someone to push your car round in circles while the engine is off (but the ignition is on) to rule the power steering pump etc out. I can hear my power steering pump work harder as I approach full lock in both directions and it does it both when stationary and moving.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The moaning stops when I depress the clutch, so it sounds as if it's drive-train related. It's only when I'm moving, and it feels like it's related to road speed in that it becomes more resonant until I'm going quickly enough that I can't keep the sharp turning angle (not very well explained... sorry...). It doesn't sound like the PAS pump - it's too resonant for that - although I can hear the PAS pump load increase when on full lock. It sounds mechanical - like metal rubbing against something else at exactly the right frequency to cause it to resonate.

I've also noticed (intermittently) a slight 'truck reversing' type noise (like a slow beep beep beep beep) when I'm driving slowly in a built up area (where I can hear the vehicle from reflections from buildings). I guess this is probably warped brake discs, although it must be very slight, as there's no heat to speak of, and it doesn't happen all the time. It's related to road speed in that it's frequency increases with speed.

The 'clunk' happens when it's stationary primarily, whether the engine / PAS pump is running or not. It feels as if something is loose, or knocking. Various posts on here about it, most of them suggesting suspension components (bushes, and the like). I just hope it's not the steering rack... I understand these are expen$ive, although it looks like GSF do a TDI one for ?75, I guess it's the fitting...

·
Registered
230 Posts
I switch off the engine so PAS is disabled, ie creating a resistance in the wheel. Now if I turn the wheel just a few mm it wobbles quite freely with almost no force applied. What I mean is I can rock the wheel from side to side and I can hear a knock, It sounds like there is play in where the wheel bolts onto the shaft, but it could also be play in the rack, its hard to tell exactly where the sound is coming from.

This is all without the steering lock on, I am just using the pressure in the PAS system while its off to effectively lock the wheels.

Now I can do the same when the engine is on, though its not so noticeable as the PAS is very good and as you go to wobble it the wheels also move, damping out the symptoms.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
As an update, this didn't fix it as VW claimed it would. The ARB bushes replacement did seem to clear it - for about a week. Really tightened things up too - felt like a new car again.

However, the whining / moaning noise has got progressively worse, and I now also have the slight play in the steering wheel with engine running or not. It's also accompanied by a worsening 'clunk' when I rock the steering wheel. The moaning noise is becoming more and more resonant, and although the 'rough' feeling over potholes, rough roads and the like is nowhere near as bad as before the ARB bushes were replaced, it's definitely back. Steering feels vague - almost like it's slightly disconnected from the wheels.

Notice that most of the other people here are diesel owners (or 'heavier' petrol car owners) - I know these cars eat suspension components. I had a drive of a mates PD 130 the other day, and his was exactly the same.

Booked at JKM on Friday, so will feedback what they find.
So you've been driving round for over a year with that noise then? [:D] You're original post was May 2006. Can't be that serious then I spose.

I'm gettin mine checked out on Monday, I seem to be listening out for it instead of just enjoyin the drive and its Pee'in me off now. hope its bushes or bearings tho.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've the same model MKIV and have a similar low rubbing sound on near full lock (turning left).

Having recently had the front wheels off to upgrade the brakes, I noticed the left front inner rim is completey coated in thick black goo. I guess the CV belows have split and deposited the grease all over the alloy rim.

Car is in for service today and am getting it looked at......and hopefully fixed at same time.

Those of you who have renewed your ARB bushes - did you change the drop-links or just the two inner bushes ?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I've the same model MKIV and have a similar low rubbing sound on near full lock (turning left).

Having recently had the front wheels off to upgrade the brakes, I noticed the left front inner rim is completey coated in thick black goo. I guess the CV belows have split and deposited the grease all over the alloy rim.

Car is in for service today and am getting it looked at......and hopefully fixed at same time.

Those of you who have renewed your ARB bushes - did you change the drop-links or just the two inner bushes ?
let us know if it got sorted would ya please? like I said mines in on Monday and it might save me some money if I can point them straight to it as opposed to them looking themselves.

Cheers

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The steering looseness and clonk was down to a loose wishbone bolt. It was tightened, and car is back to normal.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts