Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was filling up other night as I need to do a long trip, so brimmed it. My fuel guage went from halfway to full and took in 35 litres... which got me thinking. If that was half, then that means my tank is 70 litres? Cant be right surely? Or is it down to guage being wrong/filling pipes/reserve etc.?

·
Registered
613 Posts
You'll get a bit extra in the hoses and pump etc, but the main point here is that halfway on the guage is not halfway through the tank. Anyone who has done a steady full-tank journey in a mkiv should be able to confirm that the bottom 'half' of the tank disappears much more quickly than the top 'half'.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I understand that, but thats even more worrying if the bottom half goes quicker, as I only get 120 miles out of the top half!
That suggests that you're only getting about 200 miles per tank. Which suggests one of the following to me:

- It's weighed down by wheels / luggage / ICE / passengers
- You're driving it hard. (I used to drive a 1.4, and people say the 1.6 isn't all that different. So when I say 'hard', I don't necessarily mean that fast, as I used to find that mpg plummeted if averaging 70mph+.)
- Something is in need of servicing and/or fixing. There's several 'poor mpg' troubleshooting threads on here from over the years.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for reply.

I have literally nothing in the boot, and the wheels weigh slightly more than standard ones, but nothing dramatic. I agree, it does need a service which will be done within next 2 weeks, but I've replaced all usual faults (MAF, lambda, temp sensor, air/fuel/pollen filter)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Well im a MPG fanatic and i am always trying to beat my record of 71mpg average on a 50 min journey to work! i would advise having the average MPG display constantly on so when you see it start to dip you can take your foot off the gas,Not telling you how to drive or anything but just be as tight as you can on the gas pedal and also the brakes for that matter if u know u going to brake just try to cruise untill the obstruction has cleared then slowly accelerate again. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
just a query my friend was just over the reserve last night and he put £35 petrol roughly and got 32 litres, his needle was showing near full, just 1 gallon shy of full??

anyone else has the same thing?

·
Registered
2 Posts
You'll get a bit extra in the hoses and pump etc, but the main point here is that halfway on the guage is not halfway through the tank. Anyone who has done a steady full-tank journey in a mkiv should be able to confirm that the bottom 'half' of the tank disappears much more quickly than the top 'half'.
hello there folks yes the top half always takes you further ,the second half the lower half will not take you as far so dont go by the guage as it doesnt work that way , thank you

1 - 20 of 21 Posts