Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know the advised renewal interval for the fuel filter on a 1.8t agu? . no mention anywhere in the service manual /schedule?! mine is a 1999 car with 137k but no mention of it ever being done in its history,that normal/due/overdue!?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
40k I when I first changed the R32's fuel filter, and then got it done every 20k after that.

Don't seem to notice any difference after it's done, but it's cheap enough to buy, so not much of a problem to get it changed often
[:O] That's quite a long service interval!

I'm not sure how often your supposed to change your oil and service the car but I change my oil, oil filter, air filter, coolant temp sensors and spark plugs every 3-4k, it's not even that expensive, it's £60 for ester synthetic oil, under £10 for the oil filter and under £40 for a set of ngk plugs, air filter and coolant temp sensor are cheap too, not to mention quick and easy to change.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's suppose to be done when you do a tune up. A lot of people don't bother doing it though. All the new North American vehicles are suppose to have lifetime fuel filters now lol and its suppose to be incorporated into the fuel pump as one unit. Talk about poor engineering there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lifetime filter,cant see that being a goood thing but explains why theres no mention in the schedule. think gona get my done at next service for peace of mind though especialy if its not that expensive! cheers everybody!

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
40k I when I first changed the R32's fuel filter, and then got it done every 20k after that.

Don't seem to notice any difference after it's done, but it's cheap enough to buy, so not much of a problem to get it changed often
That's quite a long service interval!

I'm not sure how often your supposed to change your oil and service the car but I change my oil, oil filter, air filter, coolant temp sensors and spark plugs every 3-4k, it's not even that expensive, it's £60 for ester synthetic oil, under £10 for the oil filter and under £40 for a set of ngk plugs, air filter and coolant temp sensor are cheap too, not to mention quick and easy to change.
I said 40,000 miles for the FUEL FILTER

What are you going on about?

·
Golf V R32 3.2 250PS DSG / Golf IV TDI-R 200PS
1,870 Posts
[:O] Really? You change all that every 3-4k?! I can get that some like to do the oil every 5K, but why the coolant temp sensors and plugs?

·
Registered
897 Posts
bear in mind - vw manual says to put 98 octane fuel in. So I guess the fuel filter service guideline will assume you're sticking to that spec. If you're using supermarket fuel. Maybe you'd want to do it more frequently.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts

That's quite a long service interval!

I said 40,000 miles for the FUEL FILTER

What are you going on about?
Pay no attention to the above, clearly I either lost the gift of sight momentarily.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Really? You change all that every 3-4k?! I can get that some like to do the oil every 5K, but why the coolant temp sensors and plugs?
Coolant sensor doesn't need to be changed that often, the spark plugs do depending on what plugs you use, I occassionally run copper plugs which have a much shorter service life.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts