Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Fuel consumption on MK5 GTI

2K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  Mainy 
#1 ·
What are you guys getting approx off a full tank? either round town or motorway?

kam

#7 ·
Can't remember per-tank values, but we look at 29mpg for a 20mi commute from edge of London to central (not bad in my books!), and 33-36 on the motorway runs (making full use of the throttle as and when required!)

C
This is similar with mine. I have noticed my consumption over the last few months to have got worse rather than better.
Now, that's VERY interesting. I thought I was just being MORE heavy footed, but I'm getting the same feeling about mine. My pootle around towns have dropped, I've lost a mile on the commute (30.x used to be easy to do), and I used to get another couple mpg on the longer runs. Now, it's hardly much, but having had my "i love this car and going a bit mad", and calmed back down again - so I'd expect things to get better??

Does that make sense??

C

#8 ·
Can't remember per-tank values, but we look at 29mpg for a 20mi commute from edge of London to central (not bad in my books!), and 33-36 on the motorway runs (making full use of the throttle as and when required!)

C
This is similar with mine. I have noticed my consumption over the last few months to have got worse rather than better.
Could that be because fuel consumption is worse in cold weather? I'm sure I've read that in the manual or somewhere.

#9 ·
IMO all cars are less economical in the winter compared to summer months (same driver, same journey) simply because the lower ambient temperatures means the engine has got further to go to warm up (typical starting temp of 0c v 20c), added to which it takes the engine longer to get to operating temp because of the colder blast of air as it drives along. It's also more than likely that the occupants are taking heat away from the engine to warm the cabin.

Only done just over 2100 miles so still loosening up, but pleased to report 32.5mpg overall, with a worst of 30.54mpg & a best of 33.74mpg from respective tankfuls.

#10 ·
IMO all cars are less economical in the winter compared to summer months (same driver, same journey) simply because the lower ambient temperatures means the engine has got further to go to warm up (typical starting temp of 0c v 20c), added to which it takes the engine longer to get to operating temp because of the colder blast of air as it drives along. It's also more than likely that the occupants are taking heat away from the engine to warm the cabin. Only done just over 2100 miles so still loosening up, but pleased to report 32.5mpg overall, with a worst of 30.54mpg & a best of 33.74mpg from respective tankfuls.
I have had my car from March 2005, and the fuel consumption is definately up compared to in the summer, by about 5mpg

#11 ·
IMO all cars are less economical in the winter compared to summer months (same driver, same journey) simply because the lower ambient temperatures means the engine has got further to go to warm up (typical starting temp of 0c v 20c), added to which it takes the engine longer to get to operating temp because of the colder blast of air as it drives along. It's also more than likely that the occupants are taking heat away from the engine to warm the cabin. Only done just over 2100 miles so still loosening up, but pleased to report 32.5mpg overall, with a worst of 30.54mpg & a best of 33.74mpg from respective tankfuls.
I have had my car from March 2005, and the fuel consumption is definately up compared to in the summer, by about 5mpg
That means you are using more fuel yes?

#12 ·
That means you are using more fuel yes?
Yes, consumption is up so more fuel to do the same journey.

#13 ·
I would have thought colder air meant less fuel consumed?

My thoughts are colder air = denser air = more air into engine = better performance = less throttle.

Also, climate control compressor isn't being worked as hard to chill air so fuel is saved there as well.

I haven't worked on Engines or their theory for a long time so I guess the above could all be wrong of course [:)]

Best I ever had from my car is 38mpg after 20 mile journey cruising at 40-50mph. Worst I've had is 18mpg after 5 miles and 2 hours (stuck in the middle of London traffic chaos during the bomb alerts) [:(]

#14 ·
Once up to operating temp you're probably correct - turbo engines certainly give more power the colder/damper it is.

However, getting warmed up takes that much longer when it's cold, so on shorter journeys you're loosing out big time.

Plus there's a chance you've had to run the engine for 5 minutes just to defrost the windows before you start driving anywhere.

#15 ·
All makes sense really as lots of power being drained from the engine with heated screen & mirrors plus heating the cabin. My average mpg has slightly increased but this may be due to the mileage increasing so engine looser (nearly 4K now) plus in this weather I tend to drive a bit steadier.

I average between 280 and 300 per tank at the moment but do relatively short journeys.[:D]

#16 ·
I'm getting around 24-26mpg in town and about 31mpg, and my range-to-refuel indicator with a full tank usually displays between 320-340 miles (you can probably add another 5-10 miles to this, as I found out once!).
My fuel economy has improved a lot since I've had the car (exactly one year on the 13th!).

#21 ·
Resurrecting this one slightly, but are you all running 97/98 RON fuel ?
I am and I imagine everyone else - it's a bumpy ride if you don't use 97/98+.

Just filled up for only the second time and I managed 351 miles, but then I am running in[:(]

Averaged 33.1 mpg[:D]
300 sounds about right... 33.1mpg though, you are doing a very gentle run in job... Don't forget to give it a LITTLE bit of beans from time to time, or you'll train the ECU adn what not that you're gonna drive like a pansy forever more!!!

C

#22 ·
Resurrecting this one slightly, but are you all running 97/98 RON fuel ?
I am and I imagine everyone else - it's a bumpy ride if you don't use 97/98+.

Just filled up for only the second time and I managed 351 miles, but then I am running in[:(]

Averaged 33.1 mpg[:D]
300 sounds about right... 33.1mpg though, you are doing a very gentle run in job... Don't forget to give it a LITTLE bit of beans from time to time, or you'll train the ECU adn what not that you're gonna drive like a pansy forever more!!!

C
Ok will do.[;)]

#24 ·
Only 95 RON fuel available in Ireland, the best I can get over a very easy 50mile Sunday trip, 60mph~ is 29mpg. Going to try some octane booster, and see what the difference is, but worried it will only be a false economy.
I feel your pain then - only ever ran on 95RON once, and I won't be doing it again. Lumpy, laggy, and lacking it's usual response. Try some Octane Booster and see how you get on??

C

#25 ·
So it's looks like 300-350, thats not too bad, about what i used to get out on my mk2.

Does anyone know which garages sell 98? do any sell anything higher?

As for the increased consumption in the winter its purely down to the engine running in a richer form for longer till it reaches it's normal operating temperature, remeber back in the old days when cars had chokes!! Surely you've noticed this before in vehicles that you've driven over the years, or haven't you been that interested till now?

As for the ecu learning the driving style, always good for a giggle, but i'd wait till the engines fully settled in before you start to teach it all the rev and load mappings. The old thinking used to be that you drive it gently for several thousdand, have an oil change, then teach it and you'll end up with a faster car than ones thats been thrashed from day one.

#26 ·
Hullo vrooooom - was that at me? [:)]

300 is my average, and Shell's Optimax is 98RON, BP Ultimate and Esso are 97RON if I recall correctly. It's only a southern thing atm, but Tesco down here do a 99RON, still being rolled out though. There are rumours I believe about one of the big names going for a 100RON, however I forget who when and where [;)]

You're right about chokes and what not - however hte 95RON incident was in the middle of summer last year in the same conditions as the 98RON and also wiht the same driving style - I assume that's what you meant?? You're also right however about not really noticing until now, but then really this is the best car I've ever had yet [;)]

As for teaching it the full rev/load mappings - mine didn't go over 4k for the first 1k or so, bar twice. It didn't start getting a FULL work if you catch my drift until past 2k, and it gets a work out a reasonable amount nowadays. I'm not suggesting going flat out occasionally, all I am saying is don't drive round permanently at 2.5k... [:)]

C

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.