Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

What is the average mileage you get to a tank ?

I think i have a few issues with mine, i returned 412 miles to a tank, working it out i achieved 37MPG on this tank.

The driving was 50% Motorway at 75-80 and 50% around town etc.

Give me your thoughts and figures

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hmmmm...that doesn't sound too good, unless your car is very new.

I'm sad enough to keep a spreadsheet and our average MPG per tank over the last year has been 46.33 MPG and that's with at least 50% town driving. The only time I've seen less than 40 MPG from a tank was the first two fill-ups from new. Always get at least 450 miles to a tank no matter how or where I've been driving. Got pretty close to 600 miles from a tank once or twice but bottled it and filled her up!

Think you need to get yer jam jar checked out.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I get around 45mpg and 500 per tank with a little left in the tank. My 140 is remapped and this is with about 90% motorway/A road miles and a speed of no more than 80mph. I could get a bit more out of it but my journey is a lot of up hill, down hill and then back up again which uses more fuel than a flat road.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
After a fill up I always look to exceed 500 miles before the next one. I sometimes extend this to 550 if I have done a lot of motorway driving and have managed (or been forced to) keep it below 70!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it seems a trip to the stealers is in order.

Thanks for your posts. I will keep you updated with progress

·
Registered
809 Posts
Mine's averageing 39mpg going by MFA readouts and the best tankful I've had was 512 miles doing solely motorway, cruising at normal motorway speeds in light traffic. Worst is around 450 miles doing mixed driving. Too old for boy racer driving so not thrashing the car but I do occasionally use full revs to clear the tubes out a bit.

Car's got 38k on the clock and is mechanically standard.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I went from kent to devon in my 140 in the summer (very hot). Had 3 people and lots of luggage and climate on the whole time and average 54mpg which i was very pleased with. My usual mpg is about 45-46 on B roads and town driving. I do find that keeping the tyre pressures correct has a big influence on mpg. I was surprised how influential this was to getting good mpg.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
My term average is 42mpg, thats mixed driving with traffic and not giving the car any sympathy. Oh and its remapped. I get around 470+ to a tank.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got mine mid August 06 and have done approx 7000 miles. Term average is 42mpg. I struggle to get anything over 45 even whe driving like a granny. How people get 50+ mpg is beyond me!!

Mine is standard as well. 70% motorway, the rest town driving.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Am I doing something wrong?[:$]

I tend to get about 600 miles out of my tank, mainly on the motrway and on A roads, filling at about 50/51 litres at a time.

On setting 2 on the MFA it is reading about 54mpg, although I have had it around 44 at times! I do however tend to zero it after each fill of diesel, so I know it doesn't give a long term average!

Does anyone find any difference in fuel between Shell Diesel Extra, and BP Ultimate?

·
Registered
349 Posts
hi, my Golf GT TDi 140 has been returning 50mpg since new (now with 1000miles on the clock). I have been taking it real easy while running it in though.

It's weird because the computer says the fuel economy is worse e.g. 42mpg but it works out better with my cacluations.

FYI : my previous car (Fabia VRS) had really bad fuel economy from new like 30mpg and I was driving it just as carefully. It started to get better as time went on

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I struggle to get anything over 45 even whe driving like a granny. How people get 50+ mpg is beyond me!!
This is how I got 60 mpg once (yes sixty - average for the trip!!): Use a motorway, get in to sixth, drive at no more than 60mph for at least an hour and hope you do not get slowed below 50. Gives amazing fuel consumption.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Your 18" rims will reduce fuel consumption  as much as 10 per cent due to the drag from the extra rubber on the road.  Still looks as though you are a little on the low side accounting for this.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Your 18" rims will reduce fuel consumption as much as 10 per cent due to the drag from the extra rubber on the road. Still looks as though you are a little on the low side accounting for this.
I quite agree that bigger wheels and tyres will affect fuel consumption amongst other things, but those 18'' BBS CH's are pretty light and wear the same width of tyre as the factory upgrade 17'' wheels for the TDI 140. I wouldn't think they would make that much difference to be honest and bearing in mind both of us are from the South West, it could be the type of roads as much as anything else.

Many people claim fantastic MPG from their 1.9 PD engines too, but I've had two now and only found them about 2 to 3 MPG better than my 2.0, both of them hovering around the low forties and the 2.0 around the forty mark. I've also had two 1.9 non PDs and they both did high forties. And also two 1.8Ts which both did around 28mpg averages. And for the record whilst I'm waffling on I've also had two VR6s which also both did around 28mpg average.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts