Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've just filled my car up at the garage but am unable to close the petrol cap.

It opened ok using the button by the handbrake, but when i've finished it won't close.
I had a quick look but couldn't see anything obvious preventing it from closing.

Any ideas ???

Thanks
JB

·
Registered
252 Posts
This has just happened to me too. [:(]

The clips etc. looks OK, but it looks like a pin or something should drop down from the top? Mine's not catching on anything for it to stay closed, but I have a suspicious hole at the top!?

·
Registered
252 Posts
It's not making any noises when I press the release button. I've been advised to take the trim off inside the boot to see if I can get to it from in there. I've ordered a torx set this morning to do the job...

·
Registered
35 Posts
A work collegue had same problem last week, fuel filler actuator seized took me about 45mins to change and part was only ?14.00 from stealers.............

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well, I have my new torx set....but I wasn't sure where to start with pulling things apart inside the boot area. Looks like I might need to take off the plastic section around the boot catch (somehow), remove the sprung metal loop thing on the side trim, then unscrew the side trim...? Don't know what I'm looking for or doing after that! [;)]

adz6448, could you let me know how you got to the actuator please? How difficult was the job?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Braggy it is fairly easy, you need to remove o/s parcel shelf support, rear headlining trim and o/s top 1/4 panel inner trim.[Y]

·
Registered
678 Posts
Fixed mine yesterday mate. I took a piccy for you to see where it's located.

Will post it in 10 mins with a little step by step if you want?

Sam

·
Registered
678 Posts
Right i'l try and talk through the job as i can remember, but if i miss a few things out don't shoot me!

The problem i had was that the solonoid which pull's the catch on the flap was jammed in the open position, so the fuel cap wouldn't close, which sounds like the same as what your saying. The job isn't very hard to do, just requires a bit of patience as a lot of interior trim need to be taken out, most of it is held in by those pushy in clips which have a tendancy to snap if your too forceful.

This is a picture of where the solonoid sits once the trim is removed.

Posted Image

In order to get access:

Firstly remove the boot carpet and parcel shelf and drop the back seat.

Remove the hatch which allow you to access the bulbs on the driver's side.

Remove the plastic trim which protects the boot edge, also has a hole in it for the boot catch. This is clipped in with those stupid pushy in clips, so carefully pop them out, i think there may be 2 screws too, one ether side of the boot.

Carefully pop out the black round stoppers which hold the boot carpet on the right to the bodywork and pull the carpet out the way, or fold it down.

The plastic side piece which the parcel shelf sit's on also need to come out. You need to undo the screw by the bulb carrier, then push the plastic upwards, whilst releasing it from 3 clips on the wheel arch, then slide it up and out of the slot at the front behind the rear seat.

The last thing left is the rear quarter panel, you need to remove the seat belt so that it can come off. Where it is fixed to car is 1 bolt, which is hidden ehind a plastic cover, pop the cover and undo the bolt. The wheel brace in the VW tool kit fits, if you havent got a big enough socket!

Once this is out the way, you need to undo 2 nuts at the bottom of the panel. I used the VW spanner to undo these as i didnt have my socket set. Once these are removed, the panel pop's off using those plastic clips, again be careful and gently prize it off. You can now see the solinoid!

Posted Image

This is the blighter close up. There are 2 bolt's holding it on, but they are reversed, so you need to turn the little hex end clockwise to slacken the bolts off (only a few turns) then you can lift the solonoid up and remove the bolt heads from the key hole shaped slots. Pull the long bar attached to it out of the tube which leads down to the fuel flap.

Me being a cheap skate, i fixed mine, but you may want to buy a new one as one of the above poster's said they are only ?15!

You can see that the solonoid unit can split in half, by releasing the pin's around each edge. As i was doing this, my solonoid released, and the bar/catch sprung down. I could push the solonoid in and out, so i could tell it was still working. All i did was got some oil and oiled up the shaft (ooo err!) then repeatidly pushed the mechenism in and out to work the oil in.. worked a treat!

Obviously then you have to put it all back in again in reverse order... job done, total cost ?0.00!!!!

HTH Sam

·
Registered
252 Posts
Wow. Thanks a lot Sam, a proper write-up! It looks like a hell of a job (for what it is), but I'll give it a go. Cheers!!! [:D]

·
Registered
678 Posts
Seeing as this thread has been brought up again, i'll just update you with the fact that after doing this, it's still working 18 months later. Glad it's helped some other members out [:D]

Sam

·
Registered
83 Posts
yer! mine didnt quite do this! after i had taken the trim off i had relised the metal pole that opens the fuel cap had poped out of the hole!!! nt sure how but its sorted nw! this was a new car so i think the previous owner had been messing with it! Hmmmm [*-)]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts