Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Update: Did mine tonight, I'm surprised it didn't give me more trouble - being patient helps! Thanks for the awesome guide :Y: Also, my scuttle went back really nicely, but I did spend about 30 mins hoovering and cleaning everything :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi, second time around here on this forum.

Just want to say thanks for this info, I found it through google.

Did mine today but also changed the motor cause the missis will be using the car with the 2 kids so wanted it all tip top.

Would like to add, if you replace the motor as well (£99), you must make sure the arm coming direct from motor is at the correct side, like shown in the OP's first post

otherwise the motor with swipe down hahaa......yes it happened to me.

All done though, just one thing that bothers me is the plastic trim not sitting flush. Looked through the gap after washing the car and water does get through and drip onto the mechanism :(

But I'm sure it did anyway from new as that's also contributing to why the mechanism gets siezed.

But thank you so much for the detailed help. Good man :Y:

Reactions: NooNoo

·
Registered
73 Posts
Bringing up an old thread but oh well.

I've swapped my motor over to a new assembly and my drivers wiper hits the A pillar and passenger one doesn't come across as much as it used to so I'm left with a triangle right above my head that leaks everywhere, again, it didn't used to do that.

Also, the wipers do their full cycle but once they hit the bottom they go back up slightly.

I can get the wipers to clean the correct position but that means that the passenger one is quite high up on the windscreen and the drivers one is practically on the scuttle tray so they're way off normal resting position.

Any ideas? It's really doing my head in now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
NooNoo
9,495 Posts
Two things are wrong.

First correct the position of the arm on the motor. It's slightly out and is causing the slight movement back up.

Once you have solved that then adjust the arms on the spindles independently to get the correct sweep.

If you read all of these posts carefully I think someone has highlighted the correct position for the motor arm fitment.

The guide absolutely states not to remove the motor arm so that this doesn't happen (by slipping the arms through the mech).

Unfortunately you had no choice swapping motors...

:Y:

·
NooNoo
9,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
When you strip it down, get it looking like the old mech pictured below. Motor arm parallel to the mechanisms bar.

Yours won't be like that. It will be marginally out. Fix this first and refit.

Then adjust the arms on your spindles until you get a perfect sweep.

oldnew.jpg

:Y:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Cheers people, I have had a mess about with the position of the arm on the motor but got it too far one way and then too far in the other direction and just got frustrated and threw a wobbly at it I'll have another bash one night and see what I can do

·
Registered
73 Posts
Had a play about today AND FUCKING SORTED IT! turns out my replacement wiper assembly (genuine one not a cheap eBay shitter) had been assembled with the spindles the wrong way round. Swapped everything over and my wipers are now spot on the length off the spindle that connects to the arm have a difference of half a cm between them which was putting my wipers way off position wise

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for this guide, followed today and no problems, hardest part was getting the wiper arms off, but they hadn't been off in 14-15 years, amazed how fast the wipers are now, might even treat myself to some new blades

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have a MK IV GT TDI 2004 and 230K + miles! We have previously replaced the wiper mechanism from a scrap yard and it's worked fine for quite a while however the wipers now sometimes just don't seem to want to work but then 5 seconds later they work absolutely fine. This has happened a few times now which is not ideal as it can happen when you're driving on a motorway in heavy rain. Is this likely to be the arm mechanism again or something else. My chap thinks the motor is on it's way out, or could it be dodgy wiring? Any ideas??

Thanks

Jilly

·
NooNoo
9,495 Posts
My local TPS (Leicester) has never sold a new wiper motor... I think I have read somewhere on here of a failure.

I'd be confident enough to say 99% its the mechanism. Strip it down and see! There's a chance it could be the relay of course...

If you do buy a mech get it from your local dealer or TPS then follow this guide :Y:

Edit: The wiper relay is under the dash/drivers leg area.

·
NooNoo
9,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Images moved to imgur :Y:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Revisiting my previously loved but since neglected Bora and I've found that the wiper linkage is seized solid on one side. I've gone at pulling it apart but am having serious difficulty removing the seized pivot shaft. I had a look online for a replacement and I see a few different part numbers quoted for mkiv golf wiper linkage. Does anyone know if the part number in the OP was superceded as I see the same number with C and F suffix and all supposedly fit a mkiv? Also, what's the deal with many .co.uk car part sites listing all LHD wiper linkages??

61 - 79 of 79 Posts