Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
NooNoo
9,502 Posts
Front windscreen wiper mechanism replacement on mk4 Golf 1.8T fitted with Bosch aeros (arm type is unimportant).

Time to change: 1.5hrs at DIY speeds. Slower if you clean your scuttle area.

Why Replace?

• Slow or juddery windscreen wipers
  • Windscreen wipers not moving at all!
  • Speed 2 = speed 1

This fault is almost always the wiper posts seizing. I have never come across a burnt out motor (nor has Leicester TPS, ever sold a motor).

Parts required

1J2 955 603 B New wiper mechanism £40 inc VAT

New mechanisms have a 'shim' that should extend the working life of the mech.

Tools

10mm and 13mm sockets on 3/8ths.

Short 3/8ths extension bar.

3/8ths rachet.

Large flatblade screwdriver.

Typical posi screwdriver.

***** YOU MAY NEED A WIPER ARM PULLER / REMOVAL TOOL AS THE ARMS GET STUCK - SEE EBAY *****

The Part

DFJAlNC.jpg

• Barney is a pain! He chewed one of my wiper caps [&]

EoSTuaj.jpg

• Packaging

vyhhRqF.jpg

One of the wiper posts on the new mechanism. On the old seizing mechanism the arm is almost impossible to move!

s15nfbZ.jpg

Fitting New Mechanism

Remove wiper cap offside...

EcB31sg.jpg

• Remove wiper cap nearside...

XI2fFmN.jpg

• Remove wiper 13mm offside, wiggle off wiper arm (hold down at spring joint and lift near post).

6TAM3c0.jpg

• Remove wiper 13mm nearside, wiggle off wiper arm (hold down at spring joint and lift near post).

uI1J4po.jpg

• Remove the pollen filter cover (helps with scuttle flexibility when removing)...

M7CxTJ7.jpg

• Remove the long bulkhead seal (just pull)...

mvPoVQ4.jpg

• Remove the scuttle starting from nearside... be careful they are brittle due to age and UV.

0vJMUst.jpg

• Continue removal of scuttle... be gentle! Use a warm hairdryer if very brittle.

uSiMxq7.jpg

• Continue to ease the scuttle off the windscreen working towards the offside...

05xw4mp.jpg

• Take the scuttle out via the windscreen (not via the engine bay).

jycbqeW.jpg

• Remove the first mechanism retaining nut

QbyZoON.jpg

• Remove the 2nd mechanism retaining nut

h7tQ60W.jpg

• Remove the last mech retaining nut...

8ZghKic.jpg

• Remove the old mechanism disconnecting the electrical conncection on the way out...

Hbu5sRE.jpg

• Remove electrical connection...

0jMyHyk.jpg

• Side by side, old and new mech... notice the slightly bent old mech, did this removing one of the posts during a previous strip down and regrease!

Jz60cYv.jpg

• Remove the wiper arms at the wiper post end only (lever off using a large flat blade)...

8MS3TfD.jpg

• Undo the 3 x 10mm motor retaining nuts...

Nfd7Q5f.jpg

• Remove the motor and slip the arms through the old mechanism. No need to dismantle! DO NOT dismantle.

RjJUv4p.jpg

• I greased the new mechanism around the wiper tops to help minimise water ingress...

t1SUQoJ.jpg

• New 'shim' with the new mechanism (guessing it's to prevent water getting in)...

e5XuUmc.jpg

• Rebuild the mechanism, threading arms through and reattaching motor with the 3 x 10mm.

ieXPEIZ.jpg

• Remember to fit the motor grommit / fastener from the old mech. New mech doesn't have one! (Well mine didn't).

hheDzAp.jpg

• Replace the mech into the scuttle area and refit 3 x 10mm bolts... remember the electrical connection first.
  • Try and get the fixings central, otherwise your wiper posts won't be central in the scuttle cutout.

yWmgGDh.jpg

• Refit the scuttle (pretty much the reverse of removal). Be careful it's brittle!
  • It is unlikely you will get the scuttle totally pressed back to the windscreen - unavoidable, just doesn't go back perfectly in my experience.
  • Check the wiper posts come through the scuttle about central, some deviation is fine.
  • Refit the pollen filter cover. Note the back right corner has to go over an obstruction, use a torch and have a look!
  • Refit the bulkhead seal.
  • Refit the wiper arms/wipers using the 2 x 13mm. It may take a few attempts to get them correctly positioned.
  • Refit the wiper nut caps.

9nOYhqj.jpg

All done.

Try your new mech out, try speed 2 out for a giggle, the wipers have never moved so fast.

[:)]

·
NooNoo
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've stripped down and regreased the old mech twice but this time I thought I'd treat myself to a new mech.

If your wipers seem slow and there is little or no difference between high and low speed your mech is seizing.

The procedure for regreasing or mech replacement still requires the mech to be removed from the car. Regreasing can be hard work as you have to extract the posts which are stuck solid (usually). It's managable though.

I've finally bit the bullet and bought new...

Edit: If your wipers are slow and you change the mech you will be amazed how quickly the wipers move again in high speed!

·
NooNoo
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only problem is getting the joining arms & motor in exactly the right place, if you dont have them in the right spot on the motor spindle the wiper arms wont return & sit in the right place on the windscreen when finished.

Tip - mark the joining arms & spindle with tip-pex or something, so you know they are in the right spot.

Took me 1hr to get this part right on a mates A4.
Absolutely, although I think there is room for improvement on factory fit position. I know mine are now concealed better by the bonnet for less wind noise and drag.

Takes about 3-5 fits per wiper to optimise!

Reactions: Mmalkie

·
NooNoo
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only problem is getting the joining arms & motor in exactly the right place, if you dont have them in the right spot on the motor spindle the wiper arms wont return & sit in the right place on the windscreen when finished.

Tip - mark the joining arms & spindle with tip-pex or something, so you know they are in the right spot.

Took me 1hr to get this part right on a mates A4.
Even simpler-the motor arm and wiper arms should be in a straight line when at rest,same for all cars.

Chris.
Even simplier you don't have to remove them!!! They slip through the mech no probs...

[Y]

·
NooNoo
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can be done for £40 less by removing the spindle and cleaning it all up with some wire wool and 6-800grade wet and dry to remove a bit of metal to prevent it seizing up again.

Done mine must be near 2 - 2 1/2 years ago and not one issue since.
I've done the full strip down regrease three times but last time I slightly bent the mech (look closely in images). The posts can be seized solid and tough to remove.

So I've bought new this time. Also note the new 'shim' should help prevent water ingress.

·
NooNoo
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it is easy to break! It's much easier in warm weather to remove. Mine actually has a small part missing from a winter removal. The key is patience but the the aged plastic is brittle... I have never managed to get it totally flat to the windscreen either upon refitting :)

·
NooNoo
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi people iv noticed that when i put my wipers on flat out the drivers one comes over to far(slightly) and hits the post, VERY annoying. could this be as simple as taking it off and replacing it on the thread, iv never had it off and it looks like its has never been off, seems to sit ok when off
Yes, as simple as relocating the wiper arm on the splines 'lower' in the rest position.

·
NooNoo
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Re-greasing does work but a ultimately you have to change the mech.

I re-greased 3 times each time rubbing down which eventually made the posts a lesser fit .

This led to more frequent servicing which eventually led to me buying a new mech.

The first time lasted 2 years for me [Y]

·
NooNoo
9,502 Posts
Double post.

·
NooNoo
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If speed 1 = speed 2 then it's a definite yes.

It has to be one of the most common mk4 platform 'features'.

You probably slightly unseized the post when undoing the 13mm nuts.

·
NooNoo
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
If speed 1 = speed 2 then it's a definite yes.

It has to be one of the most common mk4 platform 'features'.

You probably slightly unseized the post when undoing the 13mm nuts.

·
NooNoo
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I would take the mech out and try and move it by hand before committing to £40 :)

·
NooNoo
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I would take the mech out and try and move it by hand before committing to £40 :)

·
NooNoo
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
You could remove a fuse or disconnect the battery. It's safer to as the mech could remove fingers.

However, with the ignition off wipers stop anyway. Seems a bit OTT.

I would never criticise anyone who trys to be as safe as possible when doing car DIYs.

:)

·
NooNoo
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
For anyone doing this I repeat, do not remove the arms from the motor. Slip them through the mech. ☺

·
NooNoo
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Welcome to mk4 ownership lol :Y:

Reactions: Winston Buju Banks

·
NooNoo
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Not sure. Motors never fail though (well not never but you get my point).

Do not buy a used mech for replacement.

:)

Reactions: Winston Buju Banks

·
NooNoo
9,502 Posts
Two things are wrong.

First correct the position of the arm on the motor. It's slightly out and is causing the slight movement back up.

Once you have solved that then adjust the arms on the spindles independently to get the correct sweep.

If you read all of these posts carefully I think someone has highlighted the correct position for the motor arm fitment.

The guide absolutely states not to remove the motor arm so that this doesn't happen (by slipping the arms through the mech).

Unfortunately you had no choice swapping motors...

:Y:

·
NooNoo
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
When you strip it down, get it looking like the old mech pictured below. Motor arm parallel to the mechanisms bar.

Yours won't be like that. It will be marginally out. Fix this first and refit.

Then adjust the arms on your spindles until you get a perfect sweep.

oldnew.jpg

:Y:

·
NooNoo
9,502 Posts
My local TPS (Leicester) has never sold a new wiper motor... I think I have read somewhere on here of a failure.

I'd be confident enough to say 99% its the mechanism. Strip it down and see! There's a chance it could be the relay of course...

If you do buy a mech get it from your local dealer or TPS then follow this guide :Y:

Edit: The wiper relay is under the dash/drivers leg area.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts