Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just need some quick advice. Is it easy to replace the front plastic valance (black lower bumper) as mine is loose & broken. Also does anyone know the cost of replacement? Would you guys recommend brand new or to look for one at the breakers. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
yeah it just clips on, piece of cake

try partsgateway.co.uk, give it a couple of days to get quotes but may work out cheaper than from the stealer

·
Registered
94 Posts
You may want to replace it with a V6 4Motion Bumper which looks nice. I guess i should do that too seeing as mine is split in the middle.

I think Awesome GTi do them

·
Registered
94 Posts
No that i think is something that Awesome came up with, does look nice though.

The V6 4motion splitter shouldn't be that expensive it should be around ?35-?45 +Vat.

They may not have it on their site but i suggest if you posted a thread in the Awesome section of the Forum someone should answer u.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just to Note! I'm getting mine tomorrow! Pretty Excited to be honest! I will be cutting out the side vent backing for extra air flow to the SMIC.

I will post pictures when i get it done :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, that looks good!

Did you buy that from VW? And if so how much if you don't mind me asking. I got a quote for ?35+VAT for the standard one I think. Also will the version you have be a direct replacement for the one I have.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the compliments,

It cost me ?42 all in and it was a direct fit but it came up a tad short on the ends but lots of people have reported that.

People have also mentioned that its looks better if u cut out the backs of the vents on each side. Thats what i did with a shard kitchen knife. At the end of the day its up to personal taste. People have also used hairdryers to heat up the splitter so that it expands to meet. I didn't do this as it's been hot out but it might help if you doo.

I was lucky enough to have a drive that has an area slightly lower which meant the car bumper was to my waist, so you might try different approaches.

You'll need some torx screw drivers as there's a screw on the inside of the wheel arch on each side.

From there on i used a flat head screw driver to pry it away from the bumper. If you do this whilst u pull it will come off fairly easily. You just have to keep at it until u get it all off.

Then put the other one on. Start at one end and work your way round clipping it in. Don't be afraid to give it a good way with ur hand. Just make sure u line up the clips with the holes. Once you've line clipped it all in you'll probably find its a little short at each end.

To get it closer i grapped the vent i cut out and pushed and pulled it as much as i could. It made a slight difference. I did the same on the other end. Until i could get the ends to match up enough so i could screw it back through the arch lining.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for that. I'm in two minds, either to get a direct replacement or go for a v6 one. But I appreciate all your help. Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Just found this thread from a similar one.

Just one question tho. If its a genuine OE part, and the V6 bumpers are the same as all the others (say V5 for arguements sake) why would there be an issue with it coming up short? Is it a manufacturing issue that they happen to come up short or just one of those things that is easily resolved by bending them out a bit to meet the edges so they can be screwed into the arch liner?

Reason I ask if that as per other thread, I am think about one and getting it colour coded, but I dont want to have it painted, then try to fit it and crack the paint by flexing it too much to get it to fit.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
A quick look on autotrader has just answered a question.

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=337870079

Maybe its just me, but it looks a bit too chunky at the edges on a car sat on 17" Santa Monicas (like mine is), and maybe would need some anni or subtle shirts to match? Not sure if I like the V6 one colour coded?? Maybe the standard one would look better?

Opinions or pics of a standard one colour coded would be welcome.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey Baz,

I dont think its a manufacturing thing i think its an environment thing. Personally think its because they are kept in storage for so long which probably are dark and have no heating so with the coolness they might shrink a bit. People say they have used hairdryers to heat them up so they can easily molded. I think after a few weeks on the car you have a go at expanding them out.

I also think that splitter isn't a plastic one like on the V6 as standard but maybe it might be a aftermarket one like the Anni edition one which would look silly not painted!

·
Registered
984 Posts
A quick look on autotrader has just answered a question.

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=337870079

Maybe its just me, but it looks a bit too chunky at the edges on a car sat on 17" Santa Monicas (like mine is), and maybe would need some anni or subtle shirts to match? Not sure if I like the V6 one colour coded?? Maybe the standard one would look better?

Opinions or pics of a standard one colour coded would be welcome.
The front valance in the Autotrader ad is a VW Vortex valance. Pretty similar to the Anni Golf but only has one slit versus the Anni's 3 vent holes.

Check out the link here : http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/545875.aspx. If you scroll about half way down, look for AndyK's car. He's colour-coded his valances and it does look good.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Cheers for pointing that out guys.

AndyK's car, I'm presuming that is just the standard GTi one (and not the V6 one)

Yes, it does look good. Getting a quote today for the two valances to be painted. I'm hoping it will be sensible money as it will be paint only, no labour

1 - 20 of 29 Posts