Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a bit about this on the forum but still don't understand whether the V6 valance will fit other Golfs, - in particularly a V5.

I have heard people say you get a 5mm gap on each side where it does not quite align to the body work, - is this because the V6 front end is different or is it that you need to ensure it is fitted tightly??

Is the TDI 150 front valance a better fit for a V5?

Advice appreciated.

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
Just fitted a v6/tdi150 front valance to mine today. Slight gap at the ends, but you'll never see it. The tdi150, 180gti, 4mo valance is the same part.

I've got mine to sort out some brake cooling ducts.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is the V6 and the tdi 150 defo the same, - I have never seen them together but I am sure they are slightly different??

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by Wilko on 30/07/2004 18:46:26

Just fitted a v6/tdi150 front valance to mine today. Slight gap at the ends, but you'll never see it. The tdi150, 180gti, 4mo valance is the same part.

The 180 GTI valance is not the same as the V6/TDI150, its the same as all the other standard valances.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Black V5: The V6 valence is a different part entirely to the TDI 150 one, the V6 valence WILL fit but has an offset cut-out in the lower part, which can look a little odd, especially when colour coded,

The TDI 150 valence has the same appearance as the V6 one but does not have this cut out and IMO looks better, the TDI valence will fit perfectly to any Golf front bumper due to there only being 1 part number for Golf bumper's (R32 excepted) throughout the range

The valences are a tight fit and do require perseverance to fit and align correctly, make sure it is fully seated, work from the centre out towards the corners and use a rubber mallet to 'work' the corners to ensure a flush fit at the wheelarch ends

Both myself and Garycundliffe have fitted Bora/Golf TDI 150 valences to our respective cars are were able to acheive a factory fit look with a little patience and some swearing! [^]

HTH

Steve

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
when i ordered mine from the dealers i asked if the 4mo/180gti/150pd valence were any diference. They said all the same part number acording to ekta,

Maybe they're wrong?

·
Registered
299 Posts
A Good tip if you can't get the corners to fit properly: make up a piece of MDF the same shape (profile) as the edge. Heat the corner of the valance with a heat gun. Push the MDF on the corner quite hard for 10 second and hold in position. Repeat. It only needs to be pushed in a few mm, but after 3 or 4 times you'll have a perfect match!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by Wilko on 30/07/2004 23:29:07

when i ordered mine from the dealers i asked if the 4mo/180gti/150pd valence were any diference. They said all the same part number acording to ekta,

Maybe they're wrong?

It wouldnt be a first would it? [;)]

My 180 definatly came with a standard valance, I ended up putting a V6 one on but changed my mind after a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheers boyz - may have to have a little trip down the local dealer later to get myself a TDI 150 valance then...

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Quote: posted by Beddie on 30/07/2004 21:58:19

the V6 valence WILL fit but has an offset cut-out in the lower part, which can look a little odd, especially when colour coded,

Which I must agree with. Watch this space things they are a changing.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by Beddie on 30/07/2004 21:58:19

The TDI 150 valence has the same appearance as the V6 one but does not have this cut out and IMO looks better, the TDI valence will fit perfectly to any Golf front bumper due to there only being 1 part number for Golf bumper's (R32 excepted) throughout the range

The 150 TDi valance does have the cut-out, when I questioned it with the dealer they said the parts are the same. The cut-out is so far back it's only an issue if you colour code it, or have a tendancy to look at the car from 6 inches off the ground.

I cut the backs out of the outer ducts, the drivers side one lines up with the intercooler inlet and a bit of brute force with the inner ducting will give you more air. The other side is just open at the mo' but I noticed on a friends 150 at the w/e that it has a duct in - doesn't appear to be an air inlet so don't know where it goes - anyone?

As everyone has said it needs firm pressure to fit, I even took my bumper off and it still has a small gap at the end (didn't use the heat gun treatment) but no one has noticed.....

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Quote: posted by Richard W on 17/02/2005 08:29:05

The cut-out is so far back it's only an issue if you colour code it, or have a tendancy to look at the car from 6 inches off the ground.

That makes sense. When Gary had a painted 4Mo valance the cut out was noticeable, but we couldn't see at all on my car (standard 4Mo valances).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts