Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all how do I go about adjusting the front passenger door, the problem is that its seems to have dropped slightly, and as such is not closing properly without lifting it a little. Has anyone any ideas how to adjust this door. do i have to loosen the bolts on the door, if so which ones should I start with.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
i have? the same problem it close fine but it hnages alittle lower than the others and you can see from above its not in line and i havent taken it to vw because im scared they will charge me loads for a little adjustment
any ideas?
lex

·
Registered
226 Posts
hi i have that problem also on both doors but more on the passenger side it now catches the roof and has took the paint away i also would love to no how to cure this problem im worried about loosening the bolts incase it makes it worse how bad is yours

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well mines not too bad but it is noticable, I have to close the door carefully, It definatly does not close properly...its droped a little in my opinion.....But as ive never done this before I dont know which bolts to undo 1st......If I cant get any help on here....... One day when im feeling brave I will have a little fiddle.......most probably when the dorr will not shut at all, then I will have no choice.

·
Registered
172 Posts
they are a proper pain in the hoop beacuse the doors are so heavy, i have a three door and the bolts that are holding the door to the car are comming away. the space is so small to get in and finding a mulitspine bitl to fit in a small area of space is the tricky part. the prevoious owner has used a torque bit to tighten them up but they have become all rounded off inside :eek:( so i think im going to have to hand it over to somebody for this.

does any body know anyone in the cheshire area that will be able to replace the bolts on the door hinges???

CHEAP

·
Registered
207 Posts
mine pokes out a little at the top. doesn't line up with the roof or the rear door, and it even leaks a little bit too (every time I jet wash the car ther'e soap suds all over the drivers seat when I get back in.

anyone ever tried to bend the door a little? the panel gaps are fine so I know it hasn't sagged (and I think that sagging is only an issue with 3 door cars due to the extra length and weight of the door?)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup!!! mines a 3 door, and boy do the weigh a bit!!!!! If I park on a hill so that my right side is facing downhill and I open the door on this slope, the door tries to pull me out of the car...with a bit of wind behind it, i`ll get thrown out on to the road LOL!!!!!!!

Must check to see it there are any bricks hidden in there.[;)]

·
Registered
244 Posts
Nooooooooo, dont you dare try and loosen the door hinges !! [:O]

You have to adjust the door catch on the 'B' pillar !!, i did my drivers door this weekend (5door)

You need a torque/star bit (sorry dont know the size), ratchet and a rubber hammer , just take your time and try to use the marks on the catch and the pillar, to determine which way to move it ! (open your door and look on the 'b' pillar, all should become clear) [:S]

If the door is too low then loosen the catch and knock it gently up, re-tighten and try the door etc . . . . .

Do this until your happy with fit and gap and adjustment and make sure the door shuts in one movement !! [y]

Hope this helps

Dave

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This may work in my case, but then my door will not be straight. I know moving the door catch will make the door close properly, but the original cause of this problem is that the door has dropped...So I presume its the door hinges I need to play with.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
is this common of golfs because on mine when i look from the top the front door and rear door dont meet in a straight line and i have also been nosey and noticed on several other golfs the same issues

·
Registered
226 Posts
iv looked on my mates 3 door his sits sweet what makes mine stand out is the difference in hight of the trim strips on the outsides of the door mainly on passenger side i have to slam a bit harder on passenger side as if not it will scuff against the roof but i dont think adjusting the lock will help as the door is actually out of alignment just need to find a way to do it [:'(]

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dont realy want to repeat myself, but mess with the door hinges at your own cost ! [:S]
But messing with the door hinges is the right way to do it...I could keep
constantly moving and adjusting the door catch mechanism, but the door would
just be getting lower and lower and lower..............................not to
mention the bit at the bottom of the door which I don?t know the name
for......the bit that fits into the sill.....what should I do here
then......cut a bigger hole in the sill to accommodate the drop.....some how I don?t
think so........according to elsawin the correct way of doing this door adjustment
is by loosening the hinge bolts....but it does not give much info about this.<o:p></o:p>

A quote from elsawin <o:p></o:p>

"To ensure a correct door adjustment the door hinges on
the pillar must be loosened. Other measures such as raising the door upwards
have no effect. Overpressuring thereafter will again cause the door to sack.<o:p></o:p>

Use door adjustment wrench 3320 with bit insert 3320/2.<o:p></o:p>

If there is a requirement to loosen the door hinge on the
upper A-pillar from the interior, socket 3410 can be used. The dash panel must
be removed for this."<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not quite but im getting there, So has anyone actually done this?....I looking for advice from someone how has actually adjusted the door in this mannor..C`mon somebody must have done this adjustment.

·
Registered
861 Posts
my door is sorted. like i said the mechanic used a snap on tool made for the job. the tool goes into the door at the lock and also grips the keeper. the mechanic just pulled upwards hard and the door is now perfect.

since this is a tool specially made for this job im sure it works.

in a nut shell it bends the hinges back up to where they were before weight made them sag.

i wouldnt start loosening anything

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like its done the job for you, but contradicts what the official VW manual says "To ensure a correct door adjustment the door hinges on
the pillar must be loosened. Other measures such as raising the door upwards
have no effect. Overpressuring thereafter will again cause the door to sack.<o:p></o:p>"
(not sure what they mean by SACK I presume they mean sag)

So just to confirm this guy inserted a special snap-on tool into where the door catch and locking mechanism are and then jerked the door upwards? can you explain in more detail what this tool looked like..it was`nt a snap-on socket extension bar by any chance was it?[;)]

1 - 20 of 58 Posts