Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Am I right in thinking there is some scope for adjustment on the front of my tdi 130.

I've got 18's and Eibach pro springs, and want a bit more camber for some more fromt end grip to compliment my rear ARB when I get it.

Any help or experience greatly appreciated, as its going in for a 4 wheel laser alignment tommorow, so would like to ask them to give me some more camber.

Thanks

Richie K

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
people will tell you to move the ball joints to adjust camber but this is incorrect

camber is adjusted via the front subframe, side to side movement

or you can buy kits that fit to the top of the damper and adjust the camber that way

HTH

·
Registered
981 Posts
from all i have read you can;t adjust camber as std.

unless your fit

tt hubs n arms etc which have camber adjustment
or
you get those camber adjustment top mounts.

whiteline make a kit to adjust caster which will help corner exits..

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
via the bottom ball joints as i said, but this is the incorrect way to do it

the correct way is by moving the front subframe from side to side until a central position is found where both sides are within specification

·
Registered
981 Posts
there are 4 bolts on the subframe, basically you should make sure allignment is done via the subframe, most places will not touch the camber as the reality of the golf is pretty fixed for the camber (unless you add adjustable arms like the TT or add adjustable top mounts)

·
Registered
936 Posts
where'd you have it done richie? I've just dropped my golf 40mm and at the same time replaced wishbones/ball-joints so really should have the steerting alrignment checked over. Dont want just a kwik-fit job, want the castor and camber checking also, print-outs would be a nice thing to, not really sure where in Lincoln offers this...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got mine done at Edwin J Bowman, just off monks road. They are a body repair shop, so have all the kit.

The guy there was really helpfull, and I got full before and after printouts. £45 plus VAT, so £51.15 all in.

I wouldn't touch "Just car clinic" with a bargepole (who has a bargepole?) My GF's car got repaired there and they did a shit job, so just lost trust.

Hope this helps

Richie K

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
i might try them sometime, i tried a few places and they all seemed clueless about how to adjust stuff on a mk4, the just car clinic said it would be £45 just to check stuff, and £45/hour +VAT labour if stuff needs adjusting!

i recently had the front wishbones off and they did not have slots in them? so i can't see how you can adjust the camber on them??

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
[quote user="fenwick458"]

i might try them sometime, i tried a few places and they all seemed clueless about how to adjust stuff on a mk4, the just car clinic said it would be £45 just to check stuff, and £45/hour +VAT labour if stuff needs adjusting!

i recently had the front wishbones off and they did not have slots in them? so i can't see how you can adjust the camber on them??

[/quote]

the wishbone bushes themselves dont have slots in them, its the ball joint plate that the wishbone is bolted around (3 bolts at ball joint end)

the plate inside has 3 elongated holes so it can be positioned central with the wishbone

HTH

·
Registered
225 Posts
[quote user="mk4richie"]

I got mine done at Edwin J Bowman, just off monks road. They are a body repair shop, so have all the kit.

The guy there was really helpfull, and I got full before and after printouts. £45 plus VAT, so £51.15 all in.

I wouldn't touch "Just car clinic" with a bargepole (who has a bargepole?) My GF's car got repaired there and they did a shoot job, so just lost trust.

Hope this helps

Richie K

[/quote]

I had my Golf aligned at Lincoln Just Car clinic without any problems. Also I had the missus mk2 Octy vRS aligned at Bowmans who got the settings wrong but then rectified them the next working day at no cost so I was happy in the end. They both cost about the same.

·
Registered
936 Posts
[quote user="mk4richie"]

I wouldn't touch "Just car clinic" with a bargepole (who has a bargepole?) My GF's car got repaired there and they did a shoot job, so just lost trust.

Hope this helps

Richie K

[/quote]

I have to admit I was a little dubious about going to just car clinic so perhaps i'll try Bowman first off going on your recommendation.

I've actually lost one of the 3 bolts out of the ball-joint adjustment setup (presumably not tighten up correctly) so hopefully they'll be able to replace that and then go about setting things up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If its not adjustable, how do garages adjust it when they do a 4 wheel alignment?
people will tell you to move the ball joints to adjust camber but this is incorrect

camber is adjusted via the front subframe, side to side movement

or you can buy kits that fit to the top of the damper and adjust the camber that way

HTH
that is incorrect ,you can equalize left and rigt side to some point but not be able to adjust lets say the left side only .do not mess with the subframe ,install cam kit at the top of your struts (will be able to adjust camber and caster) or adjustable lover ball joints (camber adjustment only)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts