Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1.8T has a rear Neuspeed ARB and front Neuspeed strut brace, both of which have made a fantastic improvement to the handling.

I'm thinking about upgrading the standard front ARB with a thicker Neuspeed one but I'm wondering if I will notice any significant improvement.

Does anyone have experience of the benefits, or otherwise of upgrading the front ARB, especially after having had a thicker rear ARB fitted.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Steve, I don't believe you will see much, if any, benefit.  It's the rear one that makes the difference and reduces understeer.  Beefing up the front will only be putting understeer back in.  AFAIK the main reason for changing the front one is to avoid driveshaft issues after lowering by a significant amount.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
ok cool, i only learnt this yesterday. cool well im leaving the stock front arb, but fitting one (eibach / neuspeed / h&r / whiteline ) soonish

which one you recommend since there is a massice diff in price for some of these ?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
There is indeed a huge price difference. I suspect that they all do the same kind of job except that some are stiffer than others. All I'd suggest is that you don't get the stiffest one out there for normal road use. I got my Neuspeed 25mm one some time ago when I was overseas and choice was more limited. I have been more than happy with it and s elected it because of availability, adjustability and the fact that no drilling was required to fit it. Recently someone else on here got an H&R one because it doesn't show when fitted while others recommend Whiteline.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
hmm cool,

the white line rear arb is looking attractive at that price, ive only heard 1 guy say he thought it was good, then again not many have got this fitted so its a little hard to judge,

for me its a choice between neuspeed 25 or the whiteline (22) shorter one ....

im not in a rush so...

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I remember when I first fitted my Neuspeed 25. It put a grin on my face and I came on here and raved about it for days. Sadly a lot of old posts got lost at some stage so it's no longer around. It's required no maintenance at all since it was fitted which was probably in 2003. I would imagine the Whiteline 22 is very similar. Check out what is involved in fitting it and where it sits after fitting. If both seem OK I'd go for that. Don't know what prices are like now but Neuspeed usually ain't cheap.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
i cant wait.. the whiteline stick out a little and ive read that fitting is ok... the neuspeed are around 200 at least.

let you know what i decide.. lol

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Had the white line fitted about 2 months now , still on the softest setting, until wheather gets predictable and consistant.

Deffo an improvement on the handling, back end feels a lot more planted, understeer is a lot less than it was. I will try and dial it out when its dryer.

Would recommend, but have not tried others to compare it with. Std TDi Sport arb on the front.

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Had the white line fitted about 2 months now , still on the softest setting, until wheather gets predictable and consistant.

Deffo an improvement on the handling, back end feels a lot more planted, understeer is a lot less than it was. I will try and dial it out when its dryer.

Would recommend, but have not tried others to compare it with. Std TDi Sport arb on the front.

Posted Image
I'm in the market for a rear ARB, the only thinking putting me off the whiteline one, is the way it mounts to the bottom of the dampers with the spacers.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
i agree... the other brands seem better fitted... ive got time.. but i hear good things re the whiteline... so could be potentially there..

how hard is it to adjust?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
^^^ alright Pope good to hear from ya!

I had both front and rear fitted and it transformed the car, so can't comment on the usefulness of just the rear bar. I will say though that I was advised just upgrading one may effect the balance of the car.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I'm in the market for a rear ARB, the only thinking putting me off the whiteline one, is the way it mounts to the bottom of the dampers with the spacers.
Agreed, which is why I went for the H&R. It's not only the spacers that look weak - the looped piece that connects the ARB to the spacer also looks poor.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts

I had both front and rear fitted and it transformed the car, so can't comment on the usefulness of just the rear bar. I will say though that I was advised just upgrading one may effect the balance of the car.
Hi Gary, I'm still around but don't post as much these days.

I think it only upsets the balance if you go OTT with the bar size at one end or other, especially if you set it up for too much oversteer (i.e. have a rear bar that's too thick with the stock front one).

·
Registered
720 Posts
I've had the whiteline rear arb fitted for about a year now and had no problems with it. I too at first was a bit suspect at how it fits, it does look very odd! There is a guy who comes on here sometimes, job or something his name is, he works for whiteline and explained to me why it was designed this way. Something to do with if you have a rear end shunt and it being able to break away without casuing any other damage.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Hi Gary, I'm still around but don't post as much these days.

I think it only upsets the balance if you go OTT with the bar size at one end or other, especially if you set it up for too much oversteer (i.e. have a rear bar that's too thick with the stock front one).
Alright Chris, still around eh? I don't post much these days either but felt like I had to chip in ...cos you made an appearance! =)

I installed a Neuspeed front ARB and it was very impressed with the response from it. In my opinion it made the front very responsive - the front stayed flatter durng cornering and did not dip excessively when adjustments were made to the steering. Not sure if I described it well, but let's say you faced a quick left and then right turn, whereas the stock set up would wallow slightly due to the corners of the car dipping, the uprated ARB would mean that the front stayed flatter. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts