Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi been on ebay this morning and found anni splitters free post from north america part number 1J0 805 903L 007 about £167 does anyone know if these are genuine thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Get an ABS one from

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Front-bumper-spoiler-VW-GOLF-4-IV-25-th-ANNIVERSARY-ABS-/310283907534?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item483e5cb1ce

I sprayed up a full body kit and they are reasonable quality altthough I did plastic primer fill for perfect smoothness. Don't go Fibre glass... AKA glass reinforced plastic or glass fibre... one knock and they will shatter and you will have a cheap chav looking car! I payed direct using paypal and got a discount. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Its got no fixing tabs on that valance so you would have to be a bit creative to make it fit up to the bumper right.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the fixing tabs think I will wait for genuine one to pop up one on ebay at moment but wont post will keep look out cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
i was wondering if it is possible to remove the black plastic grill type bits from the bumber and put in a mesh??

Has anyone tried this, or is it not possible?

·
Registered
454 Posts
The one I mentioned on Ebay has fixing points/holes to secure it to the bumper (same for both their front and rear lower spoiler skirts). I also used some tigerseal to ensure it stayed tight to the bumper... biggest pain was the spraying as I don't have a booth to use. Lets just say I was high as a kite with my compressor in the garage for a few hours over a couple of days and covering the garage with polythene for dust prevention was time consuming. I think I have some pictures of the fixings at home... will see if I can dig some out when am back from my hols next week.

·
Registered
454 Posts
With a bit of time and work you could change the louvres/slats for grills. I've not done it myself but here is what I would do.

1) Remove grills from car. or buy spares off ebay/scrappers

2) Cut away the existing louvres from the grill.

3) Sand the grills smooth (sanding parts as you go will reduce sanding time/difficulty once the final item is ready to be sprayed).

4) Cut mesh to fit into the grills (I'd advise plastic mesh).

5) Tack the mesh into the grill with apoxy then tidy the edges of the mesh with some flexable plastic/rubber corner strips (Glued in place) and finish with plastic bumper filler to remove gaps.

6) Sand filler smooth.

7) Spray grill with several coats of plastic primer filler to build up the surfaces for sanding smooth.

8) Sand smooth... if still not to desired finish (filler lines can be seen) repeat 7) + 8) again till happy

9) Spray colour to suit. (2/3 coats of base coat and 3/4 clear coats over the primer should stop the paint coming away from the mesh)

10) Refit.

Just a rough guideline, but should give you an idea.

J

1 - 10 of 10 Posts