Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im replacing the carrier bolts and accidently ordered 4x sets for the rears. They have a hex indentation in the middle, so removal and insertion will require a key which I have. The fronts do not and offer a nut wrench to remove and insert.

They look exactly the same, my question is can I use the rear carrier bolts for the front? Same thread and tensile strength?

Household hardware Automotive tire Auto part Composite material Engineering
Automotive tire Household hardware Fastener Cylinder Gas

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They will not fit. Fronts are M12 x 1.5 x 35, rears are M10 x 1.25 x 30. Fronts are longer and have a bigger thread pitch.
Oh right of course. I'll return those then. Thanks for clearing that up. I suppose the fronts are harder to wear as they are nuts as with the rears different story I remember my friend struggling to get them off. Any advice for preservation? Maybe putting grease or brake grease on them to prevent weathering?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suppose it's time. I'll put some brake grease the head and inside the keyhole to preserve them anyhows. Thanks guys.

Got them from VAG bolts. Expensive came upto 60 for I need to replace lol even got pinch bolts for the shocks.. carrier bolts.. etc just so I don't have future issues when swapping things out. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts