Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mike and i live in Mildenhall working at the US airforce base there. Ill be here till August 2008. Anyway, i should be out to the Essex meet this weekend. I wont have my GTI yet because its still in the process of being shipped over here and it will take afew months. I should be a regular on here since it seems like a good forum for local meets and shows like the one i was on in the states. Here's a pic...the car has changed alittle bit since the picture was taken. The front lip has been removed in hopes of getting a euro spec bumper cover and rear bumper cover. I want to remove the tint and get a different set of tails also. Anyway if you want to know the mods just ask and ill post them up for everyone...well..enjoy!

Posted Image

·
Registered
918 Posts
Welcome to our shores.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mike and i live in Mildenhall working at the US airforce base there. Ill be here till August 2008. Anyway, i should be out to the Essex meet this weekend. I wont have my GTI yet because its still in the process of being shipped over here and it will take afew months. I should be a regular on here since it seems like a good forum for local meets and shows like the one i was on in the states. Here's a pic...the car has changed alittle bit since the picture was taken. The front lip has been removed in hopes of getting a euro spec bumper cover and rear bumper cover. I want to remove the tint and get a different set of tails also. Anyway if you want to know the mods just ask and ill post them up for everyone...well..enjoy!

Posted Image
make sure you post your interest in the ESSEX MEET thats THIS SATURDAY in the south east section of the forum......

what will your ride be?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome, hide your credit card - these guys will have you spent up to your limit before you can say 'euro-look'!
haha ya ive already started too, i have some anni headlights coming in and afew bits for the interior......hoping to score some OEM leather recaro's while im here.... i made a wish list before i came so hopefully i can stick to it! interior first then body/rims...by then it will be back to the states for motor and transmission toys

thanks everyone for the welcome!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ill be riding along with boostedgls im already accounted for he's got a +1 by his name on the list. he'll be in a white jetta/bora

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
deal! just have to wait for my car to get here may take afew months...like 2 or 3...but yes...im very intrested. ill pm you once the car gets here and work the details then..

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
they will be my standard u.k. ones not my smooth ones.

i all ready have the u.s. rear but dont mind having another and want to get a u.s. front so can get a smooth rub strip with no plate recess.

why you took the front lip off it would fit on a u.k. front bumper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
they will be my standard u.k. ones not my smooth ones.

i all ready have the u.s. rear but dont mind having another and want to get a u.s. front so can get a smooth rub strip with no plate recess.

the standard ones are exactly what i want so that will be fine. i took the lip off because looking on afew web sites it seemed that they make 2 rieger lips one uk and one us...didnt think to ask about it so i sold it...i was getting tired of looking at it anyway. are there any holes on the rub strip from plates? i thought in the uk you could get rubstrips without the plate recess in the front?

·
Registered
287 Posts
deal! just have to wait for my car to get here may take afew months...like 2 or 3...but yes...im very intrested. ill pm you once the car gets here and work the details then..
DAMN YOU JASE, I WAS JUST ABOUT TO DO THAT

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Welcome! Driving NA spec VWs in the Uk must be fun [:)]

As you know, US Golf bumpers are longer than UK ones - ours a flatter
and stubby, theirs are pointier and stick out more. So surely the US
lip would be too long and stick out underneath the leading edge of a
shorter UK bumper?

...i was getting tired of looking at it anyway. are there any
holes on the rub strip from plates? i thought in the uk you could get
rubstrips without the plate recess in the front?
Depends on the car - all will have the plate reccess, but it depends if the
dealership screwed the plates on when new or stuck them with adhesive tabs as to whether there
are any holes in it or not...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
the rear bumpers are actually the same around the bottom it's just around the top they are bigger and stick out more,they then curve under more than u.k. ones so that my u.k. anniversary rear fits my u.s. rear bumper.

presume that the front will be the same.

as for the holes in the bumper mike,it did have some where the plate was fixed but had them filled,you will need to get the bumpers resprayed anyways to match your car.unfortunatly all u.k. golf mk4 come with a plate recess on the front,it's about 23" long but at the moment on my car i have a jap spec front strip that is only about 12" long,i do still have the u.k. strip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i know the rear shouldnt be a problem with fitament. what my sources say in the states though is that when you put a uk spec bumper cover on an american spec car, that the actual steel bumper must be replaced also to fit the smaller bumper cover over it.not sure though. ill have to look in to it more. id like to keep my rear bumper valence since it is smoothed and color matched. not to worried about the rub strip on the front since i will be getting a smoothed one (no recess) eventually.

its funny how everyone here wants the us spec bumpers and everyone in the states wants the uk spec bumpers to be "euro". funny stuff.

looking forward to meeting everyone thats going to Essex this weekend. should be good times! ill bring my digi cam to snap some pics also. we can all discuss boots/bonnets vs hood/trunk, gas vs petrol, tire vs tyre, and colour vs color hahahaha

so my car is a rare color here in the UK. its called silverstone. thats a plus. because when my car becomes "show worthy" it will be all uk spec and stock to everyone elses standards. the car has full suspension along with afew other goodies, but for the most part everyone when they see it at shows here will things its stock haha

ya driving na spec vw's here is alittle tricky. you pretty much need a co driver to help you pass since the driver is on the other side...aside from that its a piece of cake! i love the roads here. very curvy. in the states is straight line driving every where. well, at least where im from (Florida)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts