Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well 3 weeks into ownership of my GTi and overall I'm very impressed [:D].

However at the risk of stating the obvious here, I have noticed just how much more it costs to run in comparison to my 180+bhp remapped 2.0tdi and it may be worth considering if you too are thinking about leaving the dark side. My mileage consists of mainly short journeys incorporating one short M-way junction encountering little traffic, according to dash computer with the remapped 2.0tdi my mpg never dropped below 40 and I fully utilised the performance at every opportunity[:D] - This meant a fill up on average every 430 miles (as soon as light came on).

With the GTi I manage to average 26mpg (Optimax only )[:(] This is accomplished with a lightish right foot as only just run in, I realise the engine is still tight so things will improve with miles but at this rate and my average mileage of 8,700 per annum I am looking at an extra ?534 per year or ?44.50 PCM !!

I came to this conclusion working through a new monthly budget to include the new car costs and I thought it worth pointing out the obvious.

Luckily I can afford this but the principal is still a bitter pill to swallow [:p]

The other pain is the actual filling up, an extra 16 mile round trip to get optimax, Blimey ! I haven't factored this into the calculations but at the risk of being a little anal retentive - 8700 miles divided by ave range of 300 = 29 tanks x 16 = 464 miles, divided by 26 = 17.84 Gallons x ?4.33 thats another ?77.25 per year.

Sub-Total = ?534 + ?77.25

Total Fuel difference = ?611.25 per year or ?50.94 pcm !!!

On a positive note it goes and sounds fantastic, makes me smile each time I drive it and has that WOW factor due to still being quite rare[:D]

Just be aware of the costs[:'(]

For those mathematicians amongst you I worked out the figures based on current fuel costs of ?4.33 for Optimax & ?4.20 for diesel

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
am still thinking about visiting S/Chips.. ie know it sounds like a daft question but is it really really worth it ?..its about ?430 I think under the GB
I think it would be ?430 very well spent [:D], your performance will be excellent and the mpg drop is neglible IMO especially if you do long journeys where you will probably see an improvement. I had my last 2 diesels superchipped (150PD & 140PD) and was very happy with the results, give them a call and be safe in the knowledge you will have a car not far from the GTi performance wise but will be enjoying great mpg [;)]

·
Registered
320 Posts
Although it is an extra to be driving a GTi at the moment but the cost of that smile is Priceless.

It doesn't matter how long I have worked, when I get in my GTi and
drive home...its an immense feeling. The drooling looks of BMW's being
annhilated on the way is also worth any extra cost!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
That man above has just said it all bang on! [:)]

Spin, I too would've cried my eyes out if I hadn't factored 30mpg into my budget, I spent half my life in the petrol garage now (looked down this morning and muttered the S word followed by "I'm nearly out again") - that'll be a trip to Tesco later I think (99RON before anyone digs in - alternated every other fillup or so with optimax).

It's not cheap, but (like you said) it's something most people should (and normally do) recognise. You go from derv to petrol, it's gonna wham you really hard.

Despite having noticed it, I'm having no regrets, despite a few thousand miles now... I'm the same with work, bad day, come out, get in car, go play on the way home, tease the beamers and crap on the dozey wazzocks in london that insist on taking me on with a fiesta *rolls eyes*.

You're 26mpg is interesting, by the time you hit about 1500-2000 I'd hope that goes up a bit towards 30. I'm normally kicking around that mark (on a good day I even get 33 lol!), driving with a little bit of edge most of the time, and with a damn good welly thrown in for good measure too! [:)]

Still early days mate, but do you have *ANY* regrets so far at all?? Or is the light still shining out of it's tailpipe?? [;)]

C

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well 3 weeks into ownership of my GTi and overall I'm very impressed [:D].

However at the risk of stating the obvious here, I have noticed just how much more it costs to run in comparison to my 180+bhp remapped 2.0tdi and it may be worth considering if you too are thinking about leaving the dark side. My mileage consists of mainly short journeys incorporating one short M-way junction encountering little traffic, according to dash computer with the remapped 2.0tdi my mpg never dropped below 40 and I fully utilised the performance at every opportunity[:D] - This meant a fill up on average every 430 miles (as soon as light came on).

With the GTi I manage to average 26mpg (Optimax only )[:(] This is accomplished with a lightish right foot as only just run in, I realise the engine is still tight so things will improve with miles but at this rate and my average mileage of 8,700 per annum I am looking at an extra ?534 per year or ?44.50 PCM !!

I came to this conclusion working through a new monthly budget to include the new car costs and I thought it worth pointing out the obvious.

Luckily I can afford this but the principal is still a bitter pill to swallow [:p]

The other pain is the actual filling up, an extra 16 mile round trip to get optimax, Blimey ! I haven't factored this into the calculations but at the risk of being a little anal retentive - 8700 miles divided by ave range of 300 = 29 tanks x 16 = 464 miles, divided by 26 = 17.84 Gallons x ?4.33 thats another ?77.25 per year.

Sub-Total = ?534 + ?77.25

Total Fuel difference = ?611.25 per year or ?50.94 pcm !!!

On a positive note it goes and sounds fantastic, makes me smile each time I drive it and has that WOW factor due to still being quite rare[:D]

Just be aware of the costs[:'(]
If I get high 20's I'll be happy with that, be the same as by 2.8. Just console yourself in the fact that you're having more fun.

I've always wondered too if any diesel owners worry about the particles ejected by a diesel, we know the impact in city centers , but I've heard they also cause cancer, and having lost friends recently to it, for this reason alone I'd rather have a petrol. in 2007 diesel cars will get more expensive as guidelines mean new particle filters etc, to crack down on this stuff, but until then saving a few pounds might be killing others around you!.

Anyone ever considered that? would it stop you having a diesel?

(runs for cover expecting all diesel owners to object)

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
SMB filling up with petrol will cause you to inhale benzine...that's full of cancer causing stuff !!

Spin how do you find performance compared to the remapped TDI? I'm interested as I could be making the exact same move as you did sometime in 06.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a MK5 GTTDI for 10 months (yer agree werent long) it had to go in for a steering issue, 1 demonstrator drive and bye bye GTI on order.

Anyway i found the difference between the 2 to be not that great and im using optimax. Best i ever got from the TDI was 460miles on a tank, i did the same on the GTI and managed 390 :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
SMB filling up with petrol will cause you to inhale benzine...that's full of cancer causing stuff !!

Spin how do you find performance compared to the remapped TDI? I'm interested as I could be making the exact same move as you did sometime in 06.
a lot of petrol stations have special pumps now to avoid that. and it's self inflicted, not inflicted upon others.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Spin

I do a 60 mile round trip through central London and using A40 for 15 miles in rush hour i still manage 37 - 39 MPG, this week 78 mile trip from Brighton sitting at 80 the MFA read as 44 MPG. All of these figures are based on the computer so could be out but I am managing to get around 450 miles out of the tank using tesco's 99 Ron or Optimax only. The Gti has to be the best petrol car I have had for mix of economy and pace, the 330D Sport I had was only doing 38- 40 MPG for the same daily commute although this was auto.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Don't forget to add the effect of the marginally lower monthly payment
(if you have one) you will have over an equivelant diesel, which is
usally a few hundred/thousand pounds more than the petrol car.
Especially if you buy used, when diesels have disproportionately high
residuals. A 330D is worth about ?3k more than a 330i, which means the
buyer has to spend ?3k less on diesel during the course of ownership to
reap any benefit....

But you must miss the feel good factor of 600 miles a tank! [:)]

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Irish, performance wise the GTi has the edge over the remapped 2.0tdi - there isn't a great deal of difference but the GTi is far more responsive and has much better handling plus it has the ability to rev higher which makes it easier to drive faster, especially around the twisty bits [:D] If you take into account the difference in mpg and are happy with the additional costs I can confirm it is well worth changing as the GTi makes me grin a whole lot more than my A3 ever did[:D] - This is what it's all about for me, not just practicality otherwise I would have stuck with the A3 which was a great car but never as much fun as the GTi, couple this with the wonderful sound it makes and the sporty package as a whole and there is no comparison IMO, I have even forgotten about the interior quality differences between the 2.

Over the weekend I got to do some longer journeys on fast A roads which provided pleasing results, I got to explore the handling & performance which really is fantastic, whilst doing the daily boring commute it's easy to forget what this car is all about, get her onto the open road and boy does it all become clear !! Here is a car that makes you feel invincible, gives you the impression that you are a much better driver than you probably are but does it in a safe manner, even the Mrs didn't moan I was going too fast [;)] Here's the icing on the cake .....I averaged 34mpg[:O]

Today is a good day to ask about the GTi, I have had a great weekend with the car and still can't stop looking out the window at it, the fuel consumption doesn't matter to me it's just something you have to factor in before buying one and as some have stated for a petrol it is pretty good, from me it is definetly a big thumbs up[:D]

Of course once it has too been remapped I will be looking at @ 240bhp so the question about much difference will then become irrelevant, should you buy one Irish ? Well I'd say if you can have the car and get on the housing ladder YES!![;)]

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well thats convinced me.....now the test drive...tomorrow afternoon, from all reports thats the seal on the deal.

I was worried about the difference in diesel\petrol cost, I already have to deal with the cost of a new GTI vs a second hand TDI (first year so told I'll loose a big lump) which I am going to try and sell privately just to help narrow the gap.

Thanks for this comparison, its certainly pushing me in the direction I wanted to go [:D]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
If you look to the performance and fun, and stop worrying for half an hour about the economy, you'll be sold.

If you're still concerned about the econmoy, it'll probably be the only thing to sway you not to [;)]

4000 miles on and my grin factor is still *MASSIVE* [:D]

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
am still thinking about visiting S/Chips.. ie know it sounds like a daft question but is it really really worth it ?..its about ?430 I think under the GB
OK, I'm sold on the idea of 180 bhp, but are the standard brakes up to it? They do seem better than the Mkiv 150PD's, but I'm thinking I should go to GTi brakes first. Is this necessary, or just a nice improvement?

I'm also sold on the idea of a GTi, but 15K miles a year, plus ?2K more to start with, adds up to a very expensive grin. I don't doubt I would be grinning though! [:D]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I've done 20k now in my mk5 GT TDi, and the mpg is sitting at an average of around 44 - long term.
My journeys are mainly highish speed motorway and A-road.
On a light right foot I can easily make 50mpg, provided I keep to legal-ish speeds.
I reckon aircon and 18's take 3-5mpg off the best I could achieve.

I've been running Supechips 188bhp/400Nm (on a very precise RR) remap for around 10k, and the car's pulling sweeter by the day.

The original front brakes were changed to GTi jobbies (discs and calipers) just before the remap - same with the springs, to 30mm lowered Eibach setup.

The original brakes were OK I guess, but coming from a Mk4 with R32 brakes all-round, I found the factory setup a little wanting if pushed in stock trim.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
OK, I'm sold on the idea of 180 bhp, but are the standard brakes up to it? They do seem better than the Mkiv 150PD's, but I'm thinking I should go to GTi brakes first. Is this necessary, or just a nice improvement?
IMO more of a nice improvement than a necessity.

I found the brakes on my old GTI bit a lot harder but maybe that's just a 'feeling' type thing because I've found the brakes able to cope with the remap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.