Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He's not connecting to the internet.
He's using a Netgear 834GT Modem Router with BT Broadband. The internet icon is lit a constant green which tells me that the connection is fine. He has his PC connected to LAN port 1 of the router via a patch lead.
I asked him to type IPCONFIG at the command prompt which returned nothing, he's also tried IPCONFIG/RELEASE and IPCONFIG/RENEW without success, nothing at all is shown in the DOS box. I asked him to go the his LAN cards TCP/IP properties confirm that the box was s elected for 'Obtain IP addresses automatically) which it was. Also he gets a timeout when trying to ping the router.

Cat5 patch lead is fine, does this sound like a faulty LAN card or something else?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Has he reciently installed anything??

I sorted something similar out for someone, they installed some Microsoft Beta program that stopped the net working!!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has he got any kind of firewall whatsoever on his computer?
Thats a good question!!
He's not very computer literate and wouldn't know if anybody had installed a firewall so without me having a look I couldnt really say.
His internet stopped working around 2 weeks ago, he had one of the USB modems which are provided when you connect to BT Internet. I gave him my known working DG834GT which another friend of his installed. I beleive it did work for a short time but the internet icon become unstable and started to flash amber, he also developed a crackle on his line. BT say they have now sorted the problem, the crackle has gone and the internet light is now solid green so all indications are that its now fixed but he's unable to connect or get IP information from his LAN card.
I think ruling out potential firewall issues should be the next step thought would that stop him from interogating his LAN card for an IP address via IPCONFIG?

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not sure why a firewall would stop IPCONFIG from working but I think Norton can do it.

Have you checked device manager to see if the card is ok? It's surprising how many calls we get off people who have no network, simply to find they have managed to disable their network card.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure why a firewall would stop IPCONFIG from working but I think Norton can do it.

Have you checked device manager to see if the card is ok? It's surprising how many calls we get off people who have no network, simply to find they have managed to disable their network card.
Good idea, hadn't thought of sending him to device manager.
Cheers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I Know its a silly Q but the DHCP is turned on in the router?
That was my first though.... no DHCP, no nothing.
The card would auto generate its own address in that case probably starting with 169.*.*.* or it would have 0.0.0.0 while waiting for a response from a DHCP server.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Whatever the real term is that I have forgot.....does the Cat5 cable need to be a dual one? Like the ones people used to hook their computers up with, i.e. link computers back to back...can't remember the name now though! Basically traffic could go both ways or something.

Just another thought, thats all.

Also, reset the router.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Exactly as you said, he had somehow disabled his network card!
Have a on me [:D]

Thanks all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts