Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes the pc freezes and I have to wait 10 secs or so before I can carry on, it also sometimes comes up with 'memory/vitural memory running low' message or something like that.

I regually run spyware/anti virus programs delete unwanted crap etc, but have to say that this pc hasnt been formatted in a few years.

Can anyone help me please, im useless at pc hardware [:D]

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Formatting is the best option but there are other things. Download and run ccleaner for a start. I got back about 2 gig on my work pc and a cleaned up reg!!

How much ram does your system have? You need to minimise apps the loads up at start up but be carefull not to remove system ones orboradband ones.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool thanks you two [:D]

Theres 256mb of ram which is crap! I always thought there was more than that!

I'll have gander for the program and see how that helps

I'll do that during the week then. I hate formatting, having to reinstall/setup everything [:'(]

·
Registered
861 Posts
go to system properties and advanced then look at virtual memory it should be 1 and a half times more than the amount of ram you have installed.

gone are the days of reformatting, that was before big hard drives, good defrag programs and registry cleaners.

Posted Image

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
go to system properties and advanced then look at virtual memory it should be 1 and a half times more than the amount of ram you have installed.

gone are the days of reformatting, that was before big hard drives, good defrag programs and registry cleaners.
Ive done that and its how it should be 383mb.

Im completley stupid in pc hardware...

'gone are the days of reformatting, that was before big hard drives' so your saying smaller hd still need to be reformatted mines only 40gb???

I did run the defrag about a week ago but have never used any registry cleaners.

·
Registered
861 Posts
256mb ram is not enough by the time you put on a decent firewall (micrsoft built in one is useless), antivirus etc. it seems to me windows and their updates are using more and more memory.

512 is an absolute minimum in my opinion.

just open task manager CTRL/ALT/DELETE and look to see how much ram your system is using (commit charge), also look at how many processes you are running (bottom left in task manager), more than 35 and you have stuff that doesnt need to be running.

getting the running processes lowered should be your goal after buying a stick of 512 ram that is.

good luck

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Running that CCleaner will help but the bottleneck is that 256 stick of ram!!

You need minimum of 512 or 1024 Mb. I've got 2 gig at work but you only need that for heavy multi application use.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
256mb ram is not enough by the time you put on a decent firewall (micrsoft built in one is useless), antivirus etc. it seems to me windows and their updates are using more and more memory.

512 is an absolute minimum in my opinion.

just open task manager CTRL/ALT/DELETE and look to see how much ram your system is using (commit charge), also look at how many processes you are running (bottom left in task manager), more than 35 and you have stuff that doesnt need to be running.

getting the running processes lowered should be your goal after buying a stick of 512 ram that is.

good luck
Ok yeah I thought the ram might be causing some probs but didnt want to say anything incase it wasnt lol

commit charge is 314900k / 630388k whatever that means [:cool:]

And the processs it 55! but there is two accounts of here.

Running that CCleaner will help but the bottleneck is that 256 stick of ram!!

You need minimum of 512 or 1024 Mb. I've got 2 gig at work but you only need that for heavy multi application use.
Ok another question then. Is there more than one slot for the ram and is ram sticks all the same size or do I need to find out exactly which one it is, and also is it just plug and play?

I have an old pc up in the loft but I cant remember what the mb of ram on that is, maybe if its the same I can use that?

Ive downloaded that ccleaner ill give that a go in a couple of days [Y]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Reformat the blasted thing and start again... If that don't work, it's a hardware problem [Y]

(Simplest way I could put it... sometimes you reach a point where it's not worth the grief picking through the system at a low level trying to resurrect it, you may fix it enough to remedy your immediate problem but may not know if something much deeper has been left out)

·
Registered
861 Posts
There you go you are using 319mb ram and you only have 256. that means the rest has to be paged to hard drive which will make your pc very slow.

55 processes is only on your account. you have way to much stuff running in the background thats not required.

yes a format will help but if your going to have the same stuff running you will be in exactly the same place.

in the meantime download spybot (do a google search) and go into startup items and untick everything but your firewall and antivirus program. this does not stop the other programs working, they will still start when you click on them in all programs or desktop.

Also to find out what memory you have download a program called belarc advisor (its free, do a google) and it will list all your hardware and memory etc , it even will tell you how many memory slots are empty.

Shiuming the answer is not always to format, hows the guy meant to learn.

Just keep asking questions and you will eventually get sorted.

good luck

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I know reformatting is not always the answer, I ran a Windows 98 installation for 6 years without a single rebuild because I maintained it to an almost fanatical level (and I have had some quite serious problems in that time which I've recovered every time), but some people just want a working system and if it hasn't been formatted in a few years and you're not experienced in hacking around the system, Windows does just accumulate crap (just look what happens when you run Crap Cleaner (www.ccleaner.com) - all those temporary files you thought had been deleted?!) that is certainly always fixed by reformatting. In large corporate environments, technicians don't spend time picking through a system's low level configuration to get it running again. They may hack around for a set period of time, after which the machine's downtime is costing serious money, so they just zap it with a clean system image. By all means hack around and learn, but if that was my own machine I would want it working reliably as soon as possible, because I need good working tools to get on with my life (I simply HATE stuff that doesn't work). If you want to learn, fix someone else's PC [:p]

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There you go you are using 319mb ram and you only have 256. that means the rest has to be paged to hard drive which will make your pc very slow.

55 processes is only on your account. you have way to much stuff running in the background thats not required.

yes a format will help but if your going to have the same stuff running you will be in exactly the same place.

in the meantime download spybot (do a google search) and go into startup items and untick everything but your firewall and antivirus program. this does not stop the other programs working, they will still start when you click on them in all programs or desktop.

Also to find out what memory you have download a program called belarc advisor (its free, do a google) and it will list all your hardware and memory etc , it even will tell you how many memory slots are empty.

Shiuming the answer is not always to format, hows the guy meant to learn.

Just keep asking questions and you will eventually get sorted.

good luck
I like learning new stuff so I dont mind trying to get it running better if all that fails then the reformat will be done [Y]

I just ran the ccleaner using the analyze button and can get back 860mb I assume its safe to clear up all that crap and I dont have to do a backup incase it all goes peeks up?

I downloaded that advisor and ran it. It says I have 1 extra slot for ram and ive just found on the packard bell site the type of ram that I can use found here

I have spybot and adaware that I run quite often

Ive unticked some of the programs that are in the startup menu that I used google to find out what they were, but havn't restarted so they havn't taken effect yet. Is there anymore I can untick

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Yep you can trash that 860 MB, it's all temp files and junk. Open the case and see how many RAM slots it has (Belarc Advisor will tell you but you still have to open it to fit it, maybe take a picture and post here).

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ran that ccleaner, it seems to be running a little better now.
when i clicked on 'issues' and done a scan it came up with a load of stuff, can i fix them or best to leave that alone?

I was getting an error message earlier, cda engine wild tangent something file could not be found. I thought maybe I had accidently unticked it from the start up menu but it was stick ticked [*-)] so ive now unticked it and the error message hasnt come back.
ive just looked it up its got something to do with online games, there isnt a folder in the program files for it tho which is prob why it cant find it... how do I remove it?

Terrible pics, i took the case of last night about 12 ish and was too lazy to turn the main light on [:cool:]

ram stick info
http://www.dubs.eclipse.co.uk/Computer/ram%20stick%20info.jpg

ram stick
http://www.dubs.eclipse.co.uk/Computer/ram%20stick.jpg

Spare ram slot
http://www.dubs.eclipse.co.uk/Computer/extra%20ram%20slot.jpg

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
The issues are reg keys that are not being used. You can safely clean them and when it askes to save the changes choose yes, this is your back up. If you have troulbe boot to save mode and double click this file and it will revert the changes back.

But still the main issue is the ram... or lack of it!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The issues are reg keys that are not being used. You can safely clean them and when it askes to save the changes choose yes, this is your back up. If you have troulbe boot to save mode and double click this file and it will revert the changes back.

But still the main issue is the ram... or lack of it!
Ok cool cheers, ill run the issues fix tomo.

What ram do I need, i think its pc133, 168pin, sdram???

Also obviously aslong as its that type of ram can I get anything? make, mb etc?

Is there a limit that the motherboard will take or can you just put in any mb/gb you want?

I would like to get a 512mb stick of ram, then at a later date remove the other 256mb and replace that with another 512mb but I dont wanna be spending money on the pc, i wanna spend it on cleaning stuff for me car lol [H]

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, I got 512mb of ram now [H]

Still got 55 process running tho, it did go down the other day to to mid 40's

But cheers for all the help everyone much appreciated [Y]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts