Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum!

Ok so I've not actually got a Golf yet but on Monday this will change. Saying goodbye to my old Seat Ibiza and saying hello to a '99 Mk4 Golf. I have a question to ask you all though and it may have been covered but I can't find it on the forum. Does anyone ever find that their doors freeze shut? Is there a way to prvent it if this does happen. I ask because my Ibiza was terrible for it and I'm thinking that since pretty much everything else is the same mebbie this flaw occured on the Golf too?

Sorry if this is old news just wanted to kno before I actually finalised buying the car!

- Martin (M8RVE)

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Firstly, the Ibiza is based on the Polo not the Golf and I don't consider the doors freezing to be a major problem. Surely a good old tug would free them, otherwise some deicer around the rubber !!

However, I have only had a MK4 since March and thinking about it my MK2 used to do this !!!! Spray some deicer onto a cloth and rub it around the door seals at night, might help !!!

Surely, this won't be a deciding factor in your purchase ???

·
Registered
251 Posts
If the doors are frozen shut, dont yank them open as you may well tear
the seal. Best thing is to smear some silicon grease around the door
seals, that will prevent them freezing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My '99 1.8T did the same thing the first winter I had it and I promptly ripped the top seal! Learnt from that mistake and now give them a good spraying with a silicone spray - no problems since, but worth doing 2 or 3 times over the winter.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Use vaseline, 'intensive care' if you really do love your car - LOL. I use it in the winter al lot and in June in Scotland.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Have this problem on of our Golfs - not all the doors though. But when its very cold that door just will not budge!!! Last year I tried cleaning the inside of the doors. I suppose u could try waxing it, but for us it was never a major problem.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Mine is only 3 door so it doesn't take long to do and it's not an everyday thing anyway. I would be careful of using hot water (just if you are thinking) for the windows benefit! People use luke warm etc, i have always avoided this though.

I dunno where you live (north or south), but in the south you'll probably get away with it (not had bother here anyway), but the door seals are prone to coming off anyway on these cars i hear. It's more a habit thing for me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers for the advice guys I might go with the silicone or the vaseline option? From my somewhat limited knowledge of chemistry that would make a deal of sense! Won't make any difference to me buying the car I've wanted a golf for ages! Already ordered an anni kit for it aswell lol! Anyway thanks for the replys and I'll make sure to post some pics of the new car when I get it!

- M8RVE

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you are getting it from somewhere other than here, there is word of a GB on here by Baker21 (??) for anni kits if it's not too late. Not sure how it was all progressing though.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I once found my doors frozen shut after having been in a restaurant for just a couple of hours and my passenger couldn't get in, eventually got the driver door open and she had to climb over the console ("Oi, take those heels off!"). As said before, don't pull it forcefully or you may tear the seal. I now put silicone lube on my door seals from time to time, this also helps keep them supple and not crack.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers for all the assistance Craig! Where abouts in Scotland are you actually from? I'm from Glasgow personally. Anyways just wondering

- Martin

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where do you buy silicone lube just to ask is it a B&Q Job? What's it actually used for just so I can find it cause B&Q's tend to confuse me and I always buy the wrong thing!

- Martin

·
Registered
586 Posts
As an extra point just make sure the seals are dry at night when you close the door. It is the water freezing which causes the problem.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Cheers for all the assistance Craig! Where abouts in Scotland are you actually from? I'm from Glasgow personally. Anyways just wondering

- Martin
Carnoustie boy for my sins. ('bout 10 miles north of Dumpdee).........Have plenty family around there from Glasgow to Paisley to Stevenston (!!!)

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Where do you buy silicone lube just to ask is it a B&Q Job? What's it actually used for just so I can find it cause B&Q's tend to confuse me and I always buy the wrong thing!

- Martin
More likely at motor factors'. I use Comma silicone spray.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We use WD40 on planes door seals and i tried this on my golf in munich in mid January @ -15 and it works,thanks to the germans>i mean to buddies at Lufthansa.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Use vaseline, 'intensive care' if you really do love your car - LOL. I use it in the winter al lot and in June in Scotland.
I'm not sure about Vaseline as I think it might "eat" into the rubber seals. I use to have a T-Bar MR2 and was also recommended NOT to use Vaseline for the T-bar rubber seals.

Stick to silicone instead.......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts