Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really have got to recommend this little bit of kit http://www.freecom.com/ecProduct_detail.asp?ID=2234&nr=25451&prodn=DVB%2DT+USB+Stick

Obviously you've got to be in an area that gets Freeview but I just think this is so cool. All the Freeview channels plus instant and scheduled recording to your hard drive, 'timeshift' ie record live TV, a dinky remote and a full electronic program guide. Plus the antenna is just sitting on the window sill and I'm getting all the channels.

Top gadget!

·
OldSkool Crew
660 Posts
How much was it, and where did you get it from?

I fancy getting one for my laptop in the summer so we can watch the footie!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got it from Maplins but they're cheaper on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000ALAWQ6/qid=1137352082/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-5913019-7049200 I just couldn't be arsed to wait.

Two things to remember though. The install software is a little flakey so shut down everything when installing and searching for channels plus the serial number it asks you for is the one on the CD case not the one on the unit or the box or the sticker on the box or the receipt or the bus you saw on the way home or the one you just made up out of sheer frustration......................................................................

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Guys, two stupid and quick questions:

1) What format does it record in? (No biggy as I can convert most stuff)

2) All software required on the CD I presume (for watching and recording/time-shifting) ?

Ta muchly

C

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Does anyone know if this is Windows Media Center (MCE 2005) compatible?
I have the Freecom USB DVB stick... great bit of kit! I also have XP MCE 2005... unfortuanatly MCE doesn't recognise it but Freecom say that drivers are on the way very soon when I mailed them in Dec...

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys, two stupid and quick questions:

1) What format does it record in? (No biggy as I can convert most stuff)

2) All software required on the CD I presume (for watching and recording/time-shifting) ?

Ta muchly

C
1) It records as MPEGs

2) All the software is there unless you need a suitable plug-in for MPEG playback. Actually the on screen TV guide thing is better than the one on my 32" Sony. It looks like shite but alot more functional.

·
Registered
495 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
cracking bit of kit, installed in 10 mins, antenna in the box wasnt
quite up to scratch, but works fine through existing antenna on the
roof,

got about 5 channels through supllied antenna and about 53 including radio channels with roof antenna

Good points

Installation was very quick and easy

Supplied software works well but is very basic

Crystal clear reception with my roof aerial.

Bad Points

Supplied antenna is useless indoors (havent tested outside)

EPG is very basic

Remote signal quality isn`t brilliant

personally I think its not bad for 40 quid [:)], provided you`ve got a decent signal in your area in the 1st place

·
Registered
674 Posts
Have a look at this one too....its actually a better unit then the Freecom unit as it uses a better chipset (philips).

http://www.comprousa.com/New/en/product/U3.html

The software is much better too.......

On Scans site http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=291718
Have you tried both coolcurly? I've just placed an order for the Freecom on Amazon (?39.99 inc delivery), however if the Compro is "alot" better I might cancel and order that instead.

C
Ive had my techies put both to the test, and the Compro one beats it hands down - its a much better built unit. The Freecom version has a massive returns rate, hence why alot of dealers are dumping the stock just to get rid of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts