Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Found a corrosion spot ...grrrrrr....

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
4K views 49 replies 17 participants last post by  Benn130TDI 
#1 ·
Cleaning the wheels earlier, found the tell tale signs of a corrosion spot forming on one wheel. Its the drivers side rear wheel, but all the others are fine (thank god). I really don't want to go through the hassle of having to fight (as it will come to that) to have all four wheels replaced - and I don't fancy the sound of these new 'refurbed' wheels either.

So I've decided to advance my plan of running winter wheels, which I was going to do after ED38's show in September, and I'm now going to fit to my newly purchased 16" steelies next week.

Question is, should I purchase a new Anni rim from OEM Parts (they have the originals in stock) ?

The wheels will be going into storage until the car is sold anyway (always been the plan).

#3 ·
Why bother having a nice car? Why let it go to the dogs, the wheels will corrode and it will look terrible. Plus I'll have to fork out for new wheels everytime they corrode - nip it in the bud now and enjoy the rest [;)]

I want winter wheels so I don't have to bother cleaning the RC's as well (bugger to clean at the best of times). Steelies are the best option.

I will be getting other rims for the show season next year so all is not lost.

#4 ·
I'm not saying let it go to the dogs but some sort of wear and tear is
inevitable on anything isn't it? I give my wheels a quick wash every
day, i've made life easier for myself by having a bucket and sponge
right next to where the car sits on my drive...

Having a nice car like an Anni and driving around on 16" steelies just
doesn't compute in my book...i understand keeping the original alloys
mint, especially if they are rare, but 16" steelies???

Why not pick up some cheap 18" alloys and use the tyres off the anni?
You'll pick up some alloys off ebay (without tyres) for ?200, i did.

I've kept the original 17" S3 alloys (which are like new) ready for
selling but i never would've contemplated putting 16" steels on JUST
because i wanted to keep the originals mint...

#5 ·
Having a nice car like an Anni and driving around on 16" steelies just doesn't compute in my book...i understand keeping the original alloys mint, especially if they are rare, but 16" steelies???
I completely agree with you.

Sorry Tabs, I think if I ever saw an Anni on 16" steelies I really would laugh out loud [:D]

Are you gonna complete the look with some wheel trims?

#7 ·
I'm not saying let it go to the dogs but some sort of wear and tear is inevitable on anything isn't it? I give my wheels a quick wash every day, i've made life easier for myself by having a bucket and sponge right next to where the car sits on my drive...

Having a nice car like an Anni and driving around on 16" steelies just doesn't compute in my book...i understand keeping the original alloys mint, especially if they are rare, but 16" steelies???

Why not pick up some cheap 18" alloys and use the tyres off the anni? You'll pick up some alloys off ebay (without tyres) for ?200, i did.

I've kept the original 17" S3 alloys (which are like new) ready for selling but i never would've contemplated putting 16" steels on JUST because i wanted to keep the originals mint...
Cost of tyres mate. Simple as. Plus I've just paid ?50 for four wheels with tyres compared to over ?200 for a set of alloys.

To be honest I don't give a monkeys what it looks like - I can throw the RC's back on whenever I want to and it will still be an Anni [:)]

#8 ·

Sorry Tabs, I think if I ever saw an Anni on 16" steelies I really would laugh out loud [:D]

lol the wheels do come with 16" Beetle trims [:p] But I won't be using them, I quite like the black look of the steelies.

It'll look quite good when its decked [:D]

#9 ·
I reckon you drove around in that jalopy way too long and are going for
a naffer look for the anni, go on bud admit it, you miss wheel trims
etc dont ya![:p]

Understand what your'e saying though re. some winter rims, but steelies?, well, it's different!

Such a shame that no-one has come up with a solution to prevent the
corrosion, can't it be refurbed and a mahoosive coat of laquer put on?
or the like...

#10 ·
It's cheap and chearful wayne! Tyres don't cost a bomb, I don't care if the wheels get sratched/kerbed/whatever and best of all I don't have to worry too much about cleaning them.

I remember seeing a mk4 yonks ago that was pretty modded, dropped on its backside and running steelies for the winter, and it looked pretty good - had a kind of dirty look to it as the wheels were black - but still pulled off the modded look very well [Y]

#12 ·
Such a shame that no-one has come up with a solution to prevent the corrosion, can't it be refurbed and a mahoosive coat of laquer put on? or the like...
VW have just released some new Anni wheels and are exchanging the originals for these.....however these apparently have a 'gunmental' painted finish and i've yet to see what they look like.

The way I see it is like this.....when I go to sell my car in 2-3 years time, any potential buyer would prefer an Anni with the revised wheels rather than one with original wheels which they know will corrode.....even if they are spotless when they view the car.

So I personally cannot see any point in having winter wheels, yes when you go to sell her it will have a mint set of original anni wheels on which may get you an extra ?300 on the sale price but on the other had as a buyer, I would make sure the wheels had been changed to the later 'painted' type [;)]

I just think it's a shame you're gonna have 4 Anni wheels sitting in your garage which won't benefit you when you go to sell her. Remember you have the Jalopy as your daily driver so the Anni won't be getting much use apart from evenings/weekends and shows (and you have your show wheels for those!)

If you keep on top of cleaning, there's no need for winter wheels IMO.....it's difficult though in the freezing winter months [:S]

#13 ·
Nowt to do with cleaning the wheels Sem - if the lacquer layer is broken they will corrode - simple as. Thats what has happened to mine and I clean them twice a week.

Hear what your saying but the Anniversary will forever be know for having Burnished effect wheels - anyone who know what they're looking for in a few years time will make that distinction.

#15 ·
Nowt to do with cleaning the wheels Sem - if the lacquer layer is broken they will corrode - simple as. Thats what has happened to mine and I clean them twice a week.
That is the case with original Anni wheels which is the very reason I want to get rid of mine. What i'm trying to say is if you look after the newer 'painted' ones (e.g wash them weekly) they will probably still look mint in 3 years time.

#16 ·
True enough! We all have our reasons I guess.

I'm not bothered how the car will look at the end of the day, I'm just happy that everything remains in A1 condition.

Now, I wonder what RC's would look like on a Rover 600 [:p]

#17 ·
Sounds like a perfect solution for winter. Can we see some pics Mark?

PS. I got some post on Friday. Cheers.
Plenty of pics when I get them. I'll b chucking on the set of 15mm spacers I've had lying round for a while, too [:D]

#21 ·
I remember seeing a mk4 yonks ago that was pretty modded, dropped on its backside and running steelies for the winter, and it looked pretty good - had a kind of dirty look to it as the wheels were black - but still pulled off the modded look very well [Y]
I recall a similar MK4 Golf with 16" steel wheels and the car was very standard to look at and it was decked, and the Steel wheels had been reconditioned Alloy Silver... it had a TT engine pushing 260bhp... what a sleeper....

After seeing that, I tried to find 17" steel wheels that would fit my Golf so I could do this look for the winter and for when I give my wheels a very good clean, plus considered using them to drive to shows and then change the wheels over so there would be no brake dust on them. When I knew I wanted bigger brakes then this went out of the window.

I guess steel wheels are one of those things that sounds nasty until you see it done.... Like:

a Yellow S3... if you've never seen one, it sounds nasty, but when you see it it works...

Bora front conversion on a Golf.... I thought that would be nasty until I saw one completed.

Tabs go for it mate.... if it looks S**t then just change the car back again and sell the steel wheels on.. how about looking for 17" steel wheels and use hub converters... as I don't think VW 5x100 PCD do any high than 16". May be try some Hub caps to match Audi do some nice disc style.

Just my opinion.... but I would go for it

#22 ·
So I've decided to advance my plan of running winter wheels, which I was going to do after ED38's show in September, and I'm now going to fit to my newly purchased 16" steelies next week.

Question is, should I purchase a new Anni rim from OEM Parts (they have the originals in stock) ?
Sorry mate just realised they you already have the steel rims!!!!!!

I would buy a new Anni wheel if I were you...

#24 ·

lol the wheels do come with 16" Beetle trims [:p] But I won't be using them, I quite like the black look of the steelies.

It'll look quite good when its decked [:D]
Ditto.. I think it'll look good. I know it's an unusual look, but I think it'll look ace ! [:D]

EDIT : Pic to shjow the kind of look I think would look okay.

Posted Image

I know it's not everyones taste, but I think it looks quite cool. I'd prob paint the wheel nuts though.

#25 ·
HAS THE WORLD GONE MAD ????

I bet you leave the plastic cling film on your sofa and stuff don't you !!!!

An Anni with 16" black steelies on,.........I have read the entire thread and still it makes no sense.

What makes you think the garage is air and moisture tight ? Garages are damp and often have a higher relative humidity level than the average garden shed, due to the heat given off by the car ovenight, really storage aint gonna work, coroision is a chemical reaction, which you can not prevent, chemists for 10's of years have striven and fail to do just that.

You might as well enjoy them while they last and love every minute and photo oppurtunity, as I don't think you will gaze admirably at your car with 16" steelies on,...no matter how hard you try to convince yourself otherwise.

enough said really.

#26 ·
HAS THE WORLD GONE MAD ????

I bet you leave the plastic cling film on your sofa and stuff don't you !!!!

An Anni with 16" black steelies on,.........I have read the entire thread and still it makes no sense.

What makes you think the garage is air and moisture tight ? Garages are damp and often have a higher relative humidity level than the average garden shed, due to the heat given off by the car ovenight, really storage aint gonna work, coroision is a chemical reaction, which you can not prevent, chemists for 10's of years have striven and fail to do just that.
They're being stored in the house, in huge condoms [:D] Three of the wheels are fine, I want to make sure they stay that way. Which, looking at the condition of them i.e. no visible signs of corrosion is going to be a damn site better than driving round with them on the car looking tatty.

You might as well enjoy them while they last and love every minute and photo oppurtunity, as I don't think you will gaze admirably at your car with 16" steelies on,...no matter how hard you try to convince yourself otherwise.

enough said really.
So having the wheels on the car for three-four weeks then watching as they corrode and look ultimately a lot worse than black steel wheels is your idea of a good looking car - not to mention the loss in value? Not mine matey! And with the information just obtained about the new finish on the anniversary wheels I'm glad I'm sticking mine into storage - at least the car can be complete when I do come to sell it.

I quite like the idea of steel wheels anyway, and Tylerama's pic re-inforces that image - they looks quite old school [:D]

By the way people seem to be missing a point here - these steel wheels are WINTER wheels i.e. they will be used between now and when the next show season starts. After that she'll be wearing new shoes... BBS's but not RC's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.