Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
I have no warrenty and my dealer just replaced all four wheels free of charge when only 1 had corrosion. My wheels are a nice shiney finsih and they are the revised one as i asked and checked part no. So there must be two types of the new wheels cos my are like the originals but u can tell it has a diff finsih when u touch them. As to putting steelies on your insurance will be void due to the fact ur car is made to handle with 18s and they are not original spec. A friend of mine put 15s on his clio 182 which came with 16s and when he had to claim they wouldnt pay out. He only had the 15s on while his were havin a refurb. So i recommend u check or ask insurance. After all that care u would b gutted if some twat went into u and wrote ur car off and u get no money! Cheers Ollie

· Registered
2,809 Posts
I have no warrenty and my dealer just replaced all four wheels free of charge when only 1 had corrosion. My wheels are a nice shiney finsih and they are the revised one as i asked and checked part no. So there must be two types of the new wheels cos my are like the originals but u can tell it has a diff finsih when u touch them. As to putting steelies on your insurance will be void due to the fact ur car is made to handle with 18s and they are not original spec. A friend of mine put 15s on his clio 182 which came with 16s and when he had to claim they wouldnt pay out. He only had the 15s on while his were havin a refurb. So i recommend u check or ask insurance. After all that care u would b gutted if some twat went into u and wrote ur car off and u get no money! Cheers Ollie
Are you sure they are the newer type? Do the wheels have a chrome effect or a more silver/metallic effect?

What was the part number of the wheels you had fitted - you should be able to check on the invoice.

Also, can you please take some photos and email them to me at [email protected]

Cheers [:)]

· Premium Member
16,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Cheers for the info - see Sems post about re. the different finish on the wheels!

I will be informing my insurance company, don't you worry. I don't forsee it being a problem anyway [Y] Greenlight are always felxible when it comes to mods etc.

· Registered
52 Posts
Hi,

Noticed at the weekend that corrosion has started on our 2nd set of RC's on our Anniversary. :( It's been about a year since this set was fitted. I also followed the advice posted on this forum about cleaning...just used soap and water, no wheel cleaning chemicals etc.

Could someone post pics of this "new version" of Anniversary wheel, please, please, please.

We've got one month left on the warranty, and are about to book the car into the dealer again for another new set. If the new versions look crap, I may not bother, as the car looks stunning on the current wheels.

I have written to BBS too, there must be a solution to this problem.

Cheers

AL

· Premium Member
16,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Hey Al!

There are some pics in another thread, a few of the guys on here have the new finish RC's fitted. I've seen them in the flesh but I'm not liking them personally [:S] may as well just lash on some normal RC's as the finish is near enough the same.

Due to the way the wheels are finished there is no way sure fire way to stop them corroding (other than to take them off the car). Once the lacquer layer has been comprimised its just a matter of time before moisture gets in.

These wheels have been around for a long time, they were originally available in 17" and the same issue occured on those also - so its not like BBS aren't aware of the problem with burnished clear coat finish.

· Registered
52 Posts
Thanks Tabs. I found the other thread.

I don't like the new finish wheels either.

From a technical point of view, I have been told by the other half's father who works with exotic metals as part of his job, that lacquer on top of straight metal is always going to get damaged. One slight chip, moisture will get in, and oxidisation (corrosion) will occur. He explained what it would look like, and he hadn't even seen the wheels. He was bob on basically.

Doesn't help the situation I know. His advise was, to avoid corrosion with metals like aluminium, magnesium, would be: anodise, or paint finish, or chrome plating.

All three are not what anyone would want really.

AL

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.