Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
16,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleaning the wheels earlier, found the tell tale signs of a corrosion spot forming on one wheel. Its the drivers side rear wheel, but all the others are fine (thank god). I really don't want to go through the hassle of having to fight (as it will come to that) to have all four wheels replaced - and I don't fancy the sound of these new 'refurbed' wheels either.

So I've decided to advance my plan of running winter wheels, which I was going to do after ED38's show in September, and I'm now going to fit to my newly purchased 16" steelies next week.

Question is, should I purchase a new Anni rim from OEM Parts (they have the originals in stock) ?

The wheels will be going into storage until the car is sold anyway (always been the plan).

· Premium Member
16,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why bother having a nice car? Why let it go to the dogs, the wheels will corrode and it will look terrible. Plus I'll have to fork out for new wheels everytime they corrode - nip it in the bud now and enjoy the rest [;)]

I want winter wheels so I don't have to bother cleaning the RC's as well (bugger to clean at the best of times). Steelies are the best option.

I will be getting other rims for the show season next year so all is not lost.

· Premium Member
16,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not saying let it go to the dogs but some sort of wear and tear is inevitable on anything isn't it? I give my wheels a quick wash every day, i've made life easier for myself by having a bucket and sponge right next to where the car sits on my drive...

Having a nice car like an Anni and driving around on 16" steelies just doesn't compute in my book...i understand keeping the original alloys mint, especially if they are rare, but 16" steelies???

Why not pick up some cheap 18" alloys and use the tyres off the anni? You'll pick up some alloys off ebay (without tyres) for ?200, i did.

I've kept the original 17" S3 alloys (which are like new) ready for selling but i never would've contemplated putting 16" steels on JUST because i wanted to keep the originals mint...
Cost of tyres mate. Simple as. Plus I've just paid ?50 for four wheels with tyres compared to over ?200 for a set of alloys.

To be honest I don't give a monkeys what it looks like - I can throw the RC's back on whenever I want to and it will still be an Anni [:)]

· Premium Member
16,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having a nice car like an Anni and driving around on 16" steelies just doesn't compute in my book...i understand keeping the original alloys mint, especially if they are rare, but 16" steelies???
I completely agree with you.

Sorry Tabs, I think if I ever saw an Anni on 16" steelies I really would laugh out loud [:D]

Are you gonna complete the look with some wheel trims?
lol the wheels do come with 16" Beetle trims [:p] But I won't be using them, I quite like the black look of the steelies.

It'll look quite good when its decked [:D]

· Premium Member
16,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's cheap and chearful wayne! Tyres don't cost a bomb, I don't care if the wheels get sratched/kerbed/whatever and best of all I don't have to worry too much about cleaning them.

I remember seeing a mk4 yonks ago that was pretty modded, dropped on its backside and running steelies for the winter, and it looked pretty good - had a kind of dirty look to it as the wheels were black - but still pulled off the modded look very well [Y]

· Premium Member
16,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nowt to do with cleaning the wheels Sem - if the lacquer layer is broken they will corrode - simple as. Thats what has happened to mine and I clean them twice a week.

Hear what your saying but the Anniversary will forever be know for having Burnished effect wheels - anyone who know what they're looking for in a few years time will make that distinction.

· Premium Member
16,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
True enough! We all have our reasons I guess.

I'm not bothered how the car will look at the end of the day, I'm just happy that everything remains in A1 condition.

Now, I wonder what RC's would look like on a Rover 600 [:p]

· Premium Member
16,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like a perfect solution for winter. Can we see some pics Mark?

PS. I got some post on Friday. Cheers.
Plenty of pics when I get them. I'll b chucking on the set of 15mm spacers I've had lying round for a while, too [:D]

· Premium Member
16,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
HAS THE WORLD GONE MAD ????

I bet you leave the plastic cling film on your sofa and stuff don't you !!!!

An Anni with 16" black steelies on,.........I have read the entire thread and still it makes no sense.

What makes you think the garage is air and moisture tight ? Garages are damp and often have a higher relative humidity level than the average garden shed, due to the heat given off by the car ovenight, really storage aint gonna work, coroision is a chemical reaction, which you can not prevent, chemists for 10's of years have striven and fail to do just that.
They're being stored in the house, in huge condoms [:D] Three of the wheels are fine, I want to make sure they stay that way. Which, looking at the condition of them i.e. no visible signs of corrosion is going to be a damn site better than driving round with them on the car looking tatty.

You might as well enjoy them while they last and love every minute and photo oppurtunity, as I don't think you will gaze admirably at your car with 16" steelies on,...no matter how hard you try to convince yourself otherwise.

enough said really.
So having the wheels on the car for three-four weeks then watching as they corrode and look ultimately a lot worse than black steel wheels is your idea of a good looking car - not to mention the loss in value? Not mine matey! And with the information just obtained about the new finish on the anniversary wheels I'm glad I'm sticking mine into storage - at least the car can be complete when I do come to sell it.

I quite like the idea of steel wheels anyway, and Tylerama's pic re-inforces that image - they looks quite old school [:D]

By the way people seem to be missing a point here - these steel wheels are WINTER wheels i.e. they will be used between now and when the next show season starts. After that she'll be wearing new shoes... BBS's but not RC's.

· Premium Member
16,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
HAS THE WORLD GONE MAD ????

I bet you leave the plastic cling film on your sofa and stuff don't you !!!!

An Anni with 16" black steelies on,.........I have read the entire thread and still it makes no sense.

What makes you think the garage is air and moisture tight ? Garages are damp and often have a higher relative humidity level than the average garden shed, due to the heat given off by the car ovenight, really storage aint gonna work, coroision is a chemical reaction, which you can not prevent, chemists for 10's of years have striven and fail to do just that.
They're being stored in the house, in huge condoms [:D] Three of the wheels are fine, I want to make sure they stay that way. Which, looking at the condition of them i.e. no visible signs of corrosion is going to be a damn site better than driving round with them on the car looking tatty.

Well, you may have just stumbled on one of the best ideas ever, store wheels in a thin oil,...so the air can not get too them, nothing petroleum based though,...yes you guess I am a chemist. [:)]

You might as well enjoy them while they last and love every minute and photo oppurtunity, as I don't think you will gaze admirably at your car with 16" steelies on,...no matter how hard you try to convince yourself otherwise.

enough said really.
So having the wheels on the car for three-four weeks then watching as they corrode and look ultimately a lot worse than black steel wheels is your idea of a good looking car - not to mention the loss in value? Not mine matey! And with the information just obtained about the new finish on the anniversary wheels I'm glad I'm sticking mine into storage - at least the car can be complete when I do come to sell it.

Hmm, its my idea of a car that has had use, I don't like the thought of these weird prople who buy expensive exotic motors (obviously not a reference to the Anni here .[:p]) , wrap them in cling film and put them on a stand somewhere for show and never to turn a cog,...Cars are designed by thier designers to be driven, and some of the real driving enthusiasts who are good enough to design a car that portraits parts of thier visions and make you feel what they want you to feel, must hate those same people who buy and ultimately just look at thier creation without really getting IT.

I quite like the idea of steel wheels anyway, and Tylerama's pic re-inforces that image - they looks quite old school [:D]

Lets get one thing straght, 16" steelies on an otherwise nice car do not look old Skool,...Old skool is looking retro,visions of past glories, almost hip with a nostalgic slant, not............................................. , trying really hard to be diplomatic here,...................................................................lets say ,.........out of place almost like the wheels were nicked on the transport over here[:S]

By the way people seem to be missing a point here - these steel wheels are WINTER wheels i.e. they will be used between now and when the next show season starts. After that she'll be wearing new shoes... BBS's but not RC's.

I will agree with this part of your mental strand, yes winter wheels are a must when you have more salt on the roads than a Scot can consume in a fortnight in Blackpool,...but not 16" steelies,...get a cheap set of Santa Reps, or if you wanted to use the same tyres, some cheap 18" wheels, something that would not look out of place.

You might think I am having a pop at you, but I am not, I am just stuggling to come to terms with your thought process, given the gorgeous car you have purchased, and it is a beaut BTW, even with a replaced glovebox, iffy alloy and the coolant problem (lol [;)] just yanking your chain a bit there mate,...to ruin it all with what you have proposed, I ,....just,........... I,.........................................will stop now.
I do use the car, just not with the wheels that came with it. You'll still catch me hooning around the local back roads with steelies on [:D]

Why did I choose steelies? Becuase they cost ?50 with tyres. I'm a tight arse the best of times and why pay ?200+ for a set of wheels that will only be used during the winter months. Don't really care how they look - not like I can see them when I'm driving the car anyway [;)]

We shall have to agree to disagree on this one Squire - different strokes for different folks and all that [;)]

@RS - White walls rock! [Y] Cheers mate!

· Premium Member
16,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I have no warrenty and my dealer just replaced all four wheels free of charge when only 1 had corrosion. My wheels are a nice shiney finsih and they are the revised one as i asked and checked part no. So there must be two types of the new wheels cos my are like the originals but u can tell it has a diff finsih when u touch them. As to putting steelies on your insurance will be void due to the fact ur car is made to handle with 18s and they are not original spec. A friend of mine put 15s on his clio 182 which came with 16s and when he had to claim they wouldnt pay out. He only had the 15s on while his were havin a refurb. So i recommend u check or ask insurance. After all that care u would b gutted if some twat went into u and wrote ur car off and u get no money! Cheers Ollie
Cheers for the info - see Sems post about re. the different finish on the wheels!

I will be informing my insurance company, don't you worry. I don't forsee it being a problem anyway [Y] Greenlight are always felxible when it comes to mods etc.

· Premium Member
16,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Hey Al!

There are some pics in another thread, a few of the guys on here have the new finish RC's fitted. I've seen them in the flesh but I'm not liking them personally [:S] may as well just lash on some normal RC's as the finish is near enough the same.

Due to the way the wheels are finished there is no way sure fire way to stop them corroding (other than to take them off the car). Once the lacquer layer has been comprimised its just a matter of time before moisture gets in.

These wheels have been around for a long time, they were originally available in 17" and the same issue occured on those also - so its not like BBS aren't aware of the problem with burnished clear coat finish.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.