Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleaning the wheels earlier, found the tell tale signs of a corrosion spot forming on one wheel. Its the drivers side rear wheel, but all the others are fine (thank god). I really don't want to go through the hassle of having to fight (as it will come to that) to have all four wheels replaced - and I don't fancy the sound of these new 'refurbed' wheels either.

So I've decided to advance my plan of running winter wheels, which I was going to do after ED38's show in September, and I'm now going to fit to my newly purchased 16" steelies next week.

Question is, should I purchase a new Anni rim from OEM Parts (they have the originals in stock) ?

The wheels will be going into storage until the car is sold anyway (always been the plan).

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Your going to run on 16" steels on an Anni because you dont want the
corrosion to set in? Hmm, dont see the point, why bother having an anni
or any nice car in that case?

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why bother having a nice car? Why let it go to the dogs, the wheels will corrode and it will look terrible. Plus I'll have to fork out for new wheels everytime they corrode - nip it in the bud now and enjoy the rest [;)]

I want winter wheels so I don't have to bother cleaning the RC's as well (bugger to clean at the best of times). Steelies are the best option.

I will be getting other rims for the show season next year so all is not lost.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I'm not saying let it go to the dogs but some sort of wear and tear is
inevitable on anything isn't it? I give my wheels a quick wash every
day, i've made life easier for myself by having a bucket and sponge
right next to where the car sits on my drive...

Having a nice car like an Anni and driving around on 16" steelies just
doesn't compute in my book...i understand keeping the original alloys
mint, especially if they are rare, but 16" steelies???

Why not pick up some cheap 18" alloys and use the tyres off the anni?
You'll pick up some alloys off ebay (without tyres) for ?200, i did.

I've kept the original 17" S3 alloys (which are like new) ready for
selling but i never would've contemplated putting 16" steels on JUST
because i wanted to keep the originals mint...

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Having a nice car like an Anni and driving around on 16" steelies just doesn't compute in my book...i understand keeping the original alloys mint, especially if they are rare, but 16" steelies???
I completely agree with you.

Sorry Tabs, I think if I ever saw an Anni on 16" steelies I really would laugh out loud [:D]

Are you gonna complete the look with some wheel trims?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
As I recall OEM parts had lots in and were selling them cheap but
without a warranty. As you'll be storing them then I can't see you'll
be that bothered about a warranty anyway.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not saying let it go to the dogs but some sort of wear and tear is inevitable on anything isn't it? I give my wheels a quick wash every day, i've made life easier for myself by having a bucket and sponge right next to where the car sits on my drive...

Having a nice car like an Anni and driving around on 16" steelies just doesn't compute in my book...i understand keeping the original alloys mint, especially if they are rare, but 16" steelies???

Why not pick up some cheap 18" alloys and use the tyres off the anni? You'll pick up some alloys off ebay (without tyres) for ?200, i did.

I've kept the original 17" S3 alloys (which are like new) ready for selling but i never would've contemplated putting 16" steels on JUST because i wanted to keep the originals mint...
Cost of tyres mate. Simple as. Plus I've just paid ?50 for four wheels with tyres compared to over ?200 for a set of alloys.

To be honest I don't give a monkeys what it looks like - I can throw the RC's back on whenever I want to and it will still be an Anni [:)]

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I completely agree with you.

Sorry Tabs, I think if I ever saw an Anni on 16" steelies I really would laugh out loud [:D]

Are you gonna complete the look with some wheel trims?
lol the wheels do come with 16" Beetle trims [:p] But I won't be using them, I quite like the black look of the steelies.

It'll look quite good when its decked [:D]

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I reckon you drove around in that jalopy way too long and are going for
a naffer look for the anni, go on bud admit it, you miss wheel trims
etc dont ya![:p]

Understand what your'e saying though re. some winter rims, but steelies?, well, it's different!

Such a shame that no-one has come up with a solution to prevent the
corrosion, can't it be refurbed and a mahoosive coat of laquer put on?
or the like...

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's cheap and chearful wayne! Tyres don't cost a bomb, I don't care if the wheels get sratched/kerbed/whatever and best of all I don't have to worry too much about cleaning them.

I remember seeing a mk4 yonks ago that was pretty modded, dropped on its backside and running steelies for the winter, and it looked pretty good - had a kind of dirty look to it as the wheels were black - but still pulled off the modded look very well [Y]

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Such a shame that no-one has come up with a solution to prevent the corrosion, can't it be refurbed and a mahoosive coat of laquer put on? or the like...
VW have just released some new Anni wheels and are exchanging the originals for these.....however these apparently have a 'gunmental' painted finish and i've yet to see what they look like.

The way I see it is like this.....when I go to sell my car in 2-3 years time, any potential buyer would prefer an Anni with the revised wheels rather than one with original wheels which they know will corrode.....even if they are spotless when they view the car.

So I personally cannot see any point in having winter wheels, yes when you go to sell her it will have a mint set of original anni wheels on which may get you an extra ?300 on the sale price but on the other had as a buyer, I would make sure the wheels had been changed to the later 'painted' type [;)]

I just think it's a shame you're gonna have 4 Anni wheels sitting in your garage which won't benefit you when you go to sell her. Remember you have the Jalopy as your daily driver so the Anni won't be getting much use apart from evenings/weekends and shows (and you have your show wheels for those!)

If you keep on top of cleaning, there's no need for winter wheels IMO.....it's difficult though in the freezing winter months [:S]

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nowt to do with cleaning the wheels Sem - if the lacquer layer is broken they will corrode - simple as. Thats what has happened to mine and I clean them twice a week.

Hear what your saying but the Anniversary will forever be know for having Burnished effect wheels - anyone who know what they're looking for in a few years time will make that distinction.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Nowt to do with cleaning the wheels Sem - if the lacquer layer is broken they will corrode - simple as. Thats what has happened to mine and I clean them twice a week.
That is the case with original Anni wheels which is the very reason I want to get rid of mine. What i'm trying to say is if you look after the newer 'painted' ones (e.g wash them weekly) they will probably still look mint in 3 years time.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like a perfect solution for winter. Can we see some pics Mark?

PS. I got some post on Friday. Cheers.
Plenty of pics when I get them. I'll b chucking on the set of 15mm spacers I've had lying round for a while, too [:D]

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Hmm Tabs to me it sounds like you are turning gay strange but true I feel, I know of a set of teddy bear alloys about if you are after something to add to the look.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Sorry I thought you where just getting the plane ones for the winter and bring out the fully coloured ones for the show season.

My bad.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts