Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from the DV006 install guide I did some time ago, here's a guide on how to install the later spec, still yet to be released and more advanced, Forge Eliminator valve. First, before we discuss the install I'll give some background on the valve itself, detail some of the differences and advantages with the valve compared to other DV valves available.

The Forge Eliminator Valve (pictured below) is due to be releaed in the next couple of months. Its the next generation in light weight polymer diaphragm DV's, and utiles a light weight and compact design - which differs from the other piston type valves that Forge produce - in that it utilises the 'stock' like rubber diaphragm, similar to the standard fit DV's (Bosch) fitted to 1.8T's, to perform the operation of sealing / venting excess boost (recirculation).

PLEASE NOTE - The Eliminator valve is due for release in the next six weeks (mid September) and should cost around ?105+vat (price subject to change). As this valve is a development model there will be some visual differences between the valve pictured and final production models. However, techincally the valve is identical to the production models due to be produced.

The Eliminator valve will also be marketed as the replacement for current DVRA and Optimus valves, and with the option of tuning the Eliminator valve via variable springs (available from Forge) it should cover a wide range of applications.

Taking a look inside the DVRA we can see obvious differences to its piston type relatives:

From the picture above we can see that instead of having a solid metal piston we now have a rubber diaphragm. Diaphragm rigidity when assembled is taken care of by the small metal inner piece (lower right of picture). This piece also provides a solid base for the spring to sit on.

So what advantages does this valve offer over piston type valves? Response time is one - and for split second gear changes and smooth power delivery this has to be the most important factor to consider with this valve. I have yet to produce some logs, but from the good ol' butt dyno, gear changes and spool up times certainly feel like they have improved over the stock Bosch DV I had fitted previous to the install. Note - It was quite possible with the Forge DV006 (fitted to my previous AGU 1.8T) to produce noticable hessitation with quick on/off throttle play - with this valve however, it just responds a quick you like with absoloutle zero hessiation.

Other factors to consider are how well the valve holds boost. I have in the past found that some piston type DV's tended to leak boost under load (peak boost), which, in turn, would cause surging. Knowing that a rubber diaphragm would, in theory, create a more complete seal this further increases this valves ablity to perform. Of course this all depends on then tension of the spring (a tuning kit is available from Forge).

Another very important factor is servicing. This vavle doesn't require regular servicing, unlike ther other piston types which require regular maintenance to ensure operation. Surely a plus point with any enthusiast who requires maximum uptime.

The only drawback for the valve is high boost pressure applications - which in some cases require a stronger diaphragm and/or spring. For the application I have the valve is more than capable.

Now we have covered the background and features of the valve, lets move onto the install. As I have already covered one half on the install (removing the Bosch) in a pervious install guide I will just detail the steps necessary. For details on how to remove the Bosch valve please see the follwing guide: Install guide - Forge DV006 (removing Bosch valve)

Before we begin. This is a giude to installing a Forge DVRA, and although there are similar Forge DV's available, its not the 'defacto' way to install a DV. If you experience any problems I cannot be held responsible for any issues that may arise. Also, if you feel that your not upto the task of installing the valve yourself, please seek the advice of a professional or someone with experience who can handle the install for you. Although this install is based on an AUQ drive-by-wire 1.8 Turbo, the information and pictures are still relevant to the earlier non-drive-by-wire engines.

Tools needed.
1 x Flat Head Screwdriver
1 x Small Cable tie (supplied by Forge)
1 x Stubbed nose wire cutters
1 x Pack of two 16-22mm Hose clips (supplied by Forge)
Some High Temperature Grease (optional)
1 x Forge DVRA (errr... obvious really!)

We start this guide assuming the stock Bosch DV has been removed. If not please see the link above.

IMPORTANT - PLEASE ENSURE THE ENGINE IS COLD BEFORE STARTING WORK

With all intake and outake ports free we simply just place the hose clips (supplied by Forge) on to the respective hoses:

Place the Forge DVRA in place and tighten the clips. Also place the vacum line onto the vacum inlet. As the vacum inlet is adjustable 360? I chose to angle the inlet away from the other ports on the DV. This also meant the vacum hose wasn't coming into contact with the engine (once refitted):

And another shot of the valve, from the right, You can clearly see the vacum inlet from this side:

This conludes the install guide.

Links and acknowledgements.
Many thanks to Forge Motorsport for their extremely quick turn around on ordering the valve. The valve was with me next day and even included the all important hose clips and cable tie necessary for the install of the valve. Excellent service - thanks Forge!

Forge Motorsport can be contaced via their website - www.forgemotorsport.co.uk

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Good write up on what looks like a great piece of kit.

I take it you have fitted the green spring?

You may be better with a yellow one now you are remapped.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
good guide may have to replace my dvoo7 with one of these i did hear that you cant fit the plastic engine cover with this dv is that correct

·
Registered
354 Posts
Nice one! just order mine yesterday as my original is chattering and
chuffing like an old steam train, should have it by next week. will
post my results.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I haven't noticed any difference to be honest Gary.
It certainly doesn't hessitate but I'll bear in mind the yellow spring
for future reference.
Im really liking this DV now, my FMCL007PA for sale??

These are Forge's reccomendations with regards to springs and boost pressure:

Valve Spring color coding<o:p></o:p>

Green - 5-15 PSI<o:p></o:p>

Yellow - 15-23 PSI<o:p></o:p>

Blue - 23-30 PSI<o:p></o:p>

Red - 30 + PSI

Forge Tuning Kit

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
good guide may have to replace my dvoo7 with one
of these i did hear that you cant fit the plastic engine cover with
this dv is that correct
The engine cover will fit with this DV and also the FMCL007PA which is
a piston valve also with the 360degree rotating head and side vaccum
port.

The cover wont fit with and valves than have the vaccum port on the top of the DV.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Note - I've updated the article. It would appear the valve I was sent is actally a prototype light weight diaphragm valve called the Eliminator. This vavle is due to be the replacement for both the DVRA and Optimus range of valves. Using a Lt Polymer (polyaryletherketone polymer) diaphragm and light weight aluminum spring cap preformance has been greatly increased.

Due for release in around 6 weeks (should make it the end of September) and costing around ?105+vat (subject to change) this vavle now incorperates a light weight design and with a small compact exterior.

I've been testing the valve over the past week and as you can see above the results are very positive.

Upon release of the valve from Forge there may be an opportunity to secure a Group Buy on these, so if your interested in this please let me know [Y]

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Installed it over the weekend as it happens! Responce from the vavle has increased as I'm sure the other spring was a little under-tensioned due to it being suited to stock applications (as is described on the forge site).

After fitting the spring and taking it for a spin, I then reversed the fitting of the DV which has also made a slight difference to the responsivness during gear changes [Y] I'll probably refit the valve back to the 'normal' way though.

I would certainly recommend the Yellow spring for remaped applications with this valve.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Very well! I've only put about 500 miles on her since having it done so its still adjusting to my driving style, I swear its getting quicker each time I jump in and go for a spin [Y]
"Adaption" my dear Watson "Adaption" - LOL

·
Registered
131 Posts
I emailed them recently to ask when it will be available - I was told it would be towards the end of this month.

As soon as it's ready it will be in the 'news' section of their website.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts